Request for consultation
Snell/Bohlander's popular MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES, 16TH EDITION builds upon a foundation of research and theory with an inviting, practical framework that focuses on today's most critical HR issues and current practices. The book's engaging writing style and strong visual design use more than 500 memorable examples from a variety of real organizations to illustrate key points and connect concepts to current HR practice. Fresh cases throughout this edition spotlight the latest developments and critical trends, while hands-on applications focus on practical tips and suggestions for success. This market-leading text demonstrates how HR impacts both individuals and organizations. The book's integrated learning system and comprehensive package, including a new Teaching Assistance Manual, provide you more resources for effectively teaching your class. Look to the leader, Snell/Bohlander's MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES, 16TH EDITION to enable your students to develop the competencies that will help tomorrow's organizations create a sustainable competitive advantage through people.
- NEW! Human Resource Management is not only essential in large corporations - it's just as important in small businesses and start-ups as well. To better train and inform students who are, or will be, applying HR concepts in a full range of business situations, the authors have enhanced their focus on small businesses in this edition. Each chapter now includes a boxed feature called Small Business Application that explains how chapter concepts can be uniquely applied in a small business environment.
- NEW! Studies show that when reading textbooks, students need to be re-engaged every three to four pages. That's why every main sub-topic within a chapter now kicks off with a thought-provoking question. These questions encourage students to analyze and evaluate what they're reading as they're reading it, and more importantly, empowers students to apply the material to real-life situations.
- NEW! Snell/Bohlander's MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES is known as a case-based text, and the authors strive to keep these cases relevant and timely. Half of the shorter, chapter-ending Case Studies have been replaced with new cases, and one-third of the longer, more challenging Comprehensive Cases at the end of the book have also been replaced with new cases.
- NEW! Because Web 2.0 technologies are now such a prevalent part of our lives, the authors have woven in examples of how HR professionals are using modern technology, such as social media and crowd sourcing, in the recruitment and selection of new candidates.
- NEW! Technology also plays a major role in the teaching of this course. An entirely new set of video cases and corresponding questions are now available. The book also includes updated Using the Internet column feature assignments.
- NEW! The 16th edition's Test Bank has been significantly upgraded with the inclusion of many more analysis and application-based questions.
- EMPHASIS ON THE MOST CURRENT PRACTICES AND ISSUES PROVIDE TIMELY UNDERSTANDING OF HR TODAY - Ensure your students are familiar with the most current HR practices and how to apply them with timely examples and special features, including "how-to" tips within this edition. Learning features and examples throughout focus on real, memorable examples from actual organizations to display how businesses and managers perform HR functions. This focus on real-world illustrations addresses both small businesses and international topics.
- FOCUS ON CONTEMPORARY WORK ENVIRONMENT HIGHLIGHTS KEY HR RELATIONSHIPS AND RESULTS - No other book gives your students a more accurate look at the specific details and challenges in today's work environment. Students see how HR specialists work in partnership with line managers and team directors, and how the most effective managers incorporate HR policy into regular interactions with employees.
- INTEGRATED LEARNING SYSTEM EASES PREPARATION AND STUDY - Icons in the text margins and throughout all print ancillaries link coverage back to key learning objectives, making it easier for both you and your students to focus on the most critical points of each chapter.
- COMPREHENSIVE CASES DELVE INTO CRITICAL HRM CHALLENGES -Ten comprehensive cases at the end of the text portray some of the most current issues and challenges in HRM. In addition, at least two case studies per chapter delve into current HRM issues in real business settings to encourage students to critically analyze possible solutions.
- EXPANDED COVERAGE OF TODAY'S KEY HR TOPICS AND THE LATEST HR UPDATES PREPARE STUDENTS FOR TOMORROW'S SUCCESS - The latest edition of this market-leading text offers more coverage of critical HR issues, such as diversity, outsourcing/illegal immigration, today's labor issues, and employee benefits.
- "HIGHLIGHTS IN HRM" EXAMINE TIMELY ORGANIZATIONAL CONCERNS AND PRACTICAL CHALLENGES -Your students gain in-depth looks at how actual organizations handle human resource issues and functions as many new "Highlights in HRM" include "HR Planning and Strategy: Questions to Ask Business Managers" (Ch. 2), "Best Practices for Employee Testing and Selection" (Ch. 6), and "Employee Stock Option Plans" (Ch. 10).
- MORE RESOURCES FOR MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES - Discover a wealth of support beyond the Instructor's Manual. The Teaching Assistance Manual is especially designed for new instructors, graduate assistants, and teachers wanting to generate more class discussion. You'll find valuable chapter overviews and outlines, material for class discussion and ongoing student interest, topics warranting special attention, and exercises and discussion topics for student involvement. Appendices focus on presenting materials, initiating and sustaining class discussion, quizzing, testing, and dealing with problems unique to new instructors.
Part I: HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN PERSPECTIVE.
1. The Challenge of Human Resources Management.
2. Strategy and Human Resources Planning.
Part II: MEETING HUMAN RESOURCES REQUIREMENTS.
3. Equal Employment Opportunity and Human Resources Management.
4. Job Analysis and Job Design.
Part III: DEVELOPING EFFECTIVENESS IN HUMAN RESOURCES.
5. Expanding the Talent Pool: Recruitment and Careers.
6. Employee Selection.
7. Training and Development.
8. Performance Management and the Employee Appraisal Process.
Part IV: IMPLEMENTING COMPENSATION AND SECURITY.
9. Managing Compensation.
10. Pay-for-Performance: Incentive Rewards.
11. Employee Benefits.
12. Promoting Safety and Health.
Part V: ENHANCING EMPLOYEE MANAGEMENT RELATIONS.
13. Employee Rights and Discipline.
14. The Dynamics of Labor Relations.
Part VI: EXPANDING HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT HORIZONS.
15. International Human Resources Management.
16. Creating High-Performance Work Systems.
"I think this text is easy for someone who has no prior exposure to the field to understand, yet it is still rigorous and informative. The extras, such as the cases, are useful."
"This text is well structured. It covers the most important topics in HR, and the examples and data are right on point."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
The instructor companion website provides ongoing support for your course. Receive instant access to the Instructor's Resource Guide, Test Bank, and PowerPoint lecture slides, as well as other valuable teaching aids like the Teaching Assistance Manual.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.