Request for consultation
Griffin/VanFleet, MANAGEMENT SKILLS: ASSESSMENT AND DEVELOPMENT, 1E, offers a comprehensive, real world approach to mastering the skills needed for a career in management. Because instructors often express the difficulty of creating an active learning environment, this text offers an active, not passive, way for students to learn management skills by challenging students to be self-reflective and asking them to complete numerous assessments, exercises, cases, and other activities. The authors also address another major concern instructors have about students being visual learners by providing a unique Visualize the Skill section not found in any other text. To better enable students to learn about management, chapters are organized in an easy-to-follow format that contains: Assessing Your Skills (pre-assessment scales); Learning About the Skills (concept portion of the text); Practicing Your Skills (exercises); Using Your Skills (case analysis); Extending Your Skills (group and individual exercises); Visualizing the Skills (video exercises); Your Skills Now (assessing skills after working through the chapter); and Interpretations (scoring keys and comparison data).
- Action-Based: Griffin & VanFleet's unique approach to MANAGEMENT SKILLS: ASSESSMENT AND DEVELOPMENT is derived from an active learning perspective. While students can learn definitions, models, frameworks, and theories by reading about them, in order for them to actually enhance their managerial capabilities, they must be engaged participants in the learning process. The authors provide feedback for in-text and online assessments, and afford videos for the visual learner.
- Interpretations: Interpretations are select assessments and exercises that contain corresponding scoring keys and comparison data.
- CengageNOW: This robust, online course management system gives you more control in less time and delivers better student outcomes -- NOW. CengageNOW for UNDERSTANDING MANAGEMENT, 8E includes book-specific resources that can be assigned and graded automatically, along with a menu of multi-media tools for students. Flexible assignments, automatic grading and an exportable gradebook with reports save you valuable time. The Personalized Study Plan diagnostic tool empowers students to master concepts, prepare for exams, and become more involved in class. Because a modern eBook is automatically integrated within CengageNOW, you can provide your students with price flexibility for your course! Also, available upon request, CengageNOW can be integrated with a variety of Learning Management Systems (i.e. BlackBoard).
- Technology Resources to Engage Students: Several online study tools - CourseMate, CengageNow, and WebTutor - are available with this text to engage students who have varying experience levels and learning styles by offering them options that work best for them.
- Logical and Sequential Chapter Format: Chapters are organized in an easy-to-follow format. Each chapter contains the following sections:
- Assessing your Skills: This section contains pre-assessment content. Feedback is available in the Interpretations section as well as online when students complete the interactive assessment.
- Learning about the Skills: Student read about the chapter's concepts in this section. Engaging photos, figures, tables, and applicable quotes are scattered throughout.
- Visualizing the Skills: Addressing the needs of visual learners, students watch a video and respond to the corresponding discussion questions.
- Practicing Your Skills: Students complete relevant exercises aimed at building upon the concepts they have just read about.
- Using Your Skills. Students read two cases and analyze them to answer the corresponding thought provoking questions.
- Extending Your Skills: Students complete both group and individual exercises designed to utilize the skills they are mastering.
- Your Skills Now: In Your Skills Now, students once again assess their skills after working through the chapter content.
2. Learning and Developing Management Skills.
3. Time Management Skills.
4. Interpersonal Skills.
5. Conceptual Skills.
6. Diagnostic Skills.
7. Communication Skills.
8. Decision-Making Skills.
9. Technical Skills.
10. Transitioning From Managing to Leading.
Appendix A: Managerial Skills Assessment.
Appendix B: Skills for Finding a Job.
"I am particularly impressed with the "action research" orientation of this management skills book. There are very strong links between theory and practice throughout. The skills developed and advocated are hardly "busy work" and rather direct students toward a thorough simulation of many business scenarios they will likely encounter. The writing is extremely clear as the author utilizes user-friendly language without compromising depth or breadth. "
"This is a very interesting offering and seems like a competitive product in the Management Skills offerings."
"I think it's smartly written, with language accessible by our college students. The activities and assessments are numerous, giving the opportunity to customize the class. I think the material would be easy to use in an online or traditional format."
"I am impressed with your ability to integrate topics in a refreshing new manner. Your selection of self-assessments and exercises is a win-win for the student who gains a deeper understanding of the topic by completing an assessment or exercise about the topic. Your material is presented in a logical and sequential manner that will flow well for the student who is first learning about the areas of management. The exercises are enlightening as well as fun for the learner. Information is presented in a clear, concise manner."
"Sounds like you are on the right track, videos are something the students will relate to."
Intructor's Resource CD-ROM
Find everything you need to create a dynamic, interactive learning environment for your students with all of the key instructor ancillaries (Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, ExamView®, and PowerPoint® slides) at your fingertips. This powerful CD-ROM provides the ultimate timesaving tool for customizing lectures and presentations. The indispensable Instructor's Manual contains chapter overviews and outlines, lecture enhancements, suggestions for administering exercises, interpretations for the assessments, suggested answers for the chapter case questions, and more. The Test Bank offers multiple-choice, true/false, and essay questions. Each question is tagged with useful metadata. ExamView® contains all of the questions in the printed Test Bank. You can easily add, edit, or select specific questions, instructions, and answers (randomly or numerically) on the screen. Bring your lectures to life with the dynamic PowerPoint® Lecture Presentation slides. Slides are organized by chapter and can be easily modified.
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Engaging, trackable, and affordable, the new CourseMate website offers a dynamic way to bring course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed edition of the text. Provide your students with this robust array of learning tools to enrich their course experience. Students gain immediate access to videos with quizzing and PowerPoint® slides, as well as helpful interactive quizzes, assessments, and engaging games. The Engagement Tracker tool, when used, provides you with the ability to identify at-risk students while it's still early enough to help, and also allows you to see what resources your student find most valuable.
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flashcards designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. Interactive flashcards include terms and definitions for each chapter. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing Instant Access
Interactive practice quizzes designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. True/false and multiple choice questions are included for each chapter. Check your score and take quizzes again if needed. A reference for where to find more material in the text is included with each answer. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Interactive practice quizzes and flashcards designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. Flashcards contain terms and definitions for each chapter. Practice quizzes consist of true/false and multiple choice questions for each chapter. Check your score and take quizzes again if needed. A reference for where to find more material in the text is included with each answer. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, practice quizzes and flashcards are already included.