Request for consultation
Specifically oriented to the needs of information systems students, PRINCIPLES OF INFORMATION SECURITY, 5e delivers the latest technology and developments from the field. Taking a managerial approach, this market-leading introductory book teaches all the aspects of information security-not just the technical control perspective. It provides a broad review of the entire field of information security, background on many related elements, and enough detail to facilitate understanding of the topic. It covers the terminology of the field, the history of the discipline, and an overview of how to manage an information security program. Current and relevant, the fifth edition includes the latest practices, fresh examples, updated material on technical security controls, emerging legislative issues, new coverage of digital forensics, and hands-on application of ethical issues in IS security. It is the ultimate resource for future business decision-makers.
- Completely up to date, PRINCIPLES OF INFORMATION SECURITY, 5e reflects the latest developments from the field, including new innovations in technology and methodologies, updated examples and references, and the most current coverage of emerging issues available.
- A new end-of-chapter feature focuses on ethical decision making in the context of each chapter's opening case study, giving students hands-on experience dealing with the ethical issues of real-world practice.
- Restructured treatment of threats and attacks improve the logical flow of the text while providing added depth on threat levels and severities as well as expanded coverage of attacks against information systems.
- Updated material on technical security controls includes enhancements to the coverage of firewall rules and wireless security (WEP, WPA, etc.).
- Risk management coverage has been refreshed and enhanced to better reflect current industry practice.
- The coverage of digital forensics and e-discovery has been expanded.
- New information on software security is the most up to date available.
- Ch. 3 Legal, Ethical, and Professional Issues in Information Security details the newest laws, legislative efforts and legal interpretations in the United States and abroad as well as a host of identity theft bills.
- Updated computer forensics content focuses more on the perspective of the general security professional than the forensics specialist.
- Updated chapter sequences improve the flow and linkage of risk management and planning activities.
- PRINCIPLES OF INFORMATION SECURITY, 5e illustrates that information security in the modern organization is a problem for management to solve and not a problem that technology alone can answer-a problem that has important economic consequences and for which management will be held accountable.
- Each chapter opens with a short story that follows the same fictional company as it encounters the real-world issues of information security. At the end of the chapter, discussion questions complete the case study scenario, giving instructors and students the opportunity to discuss the underlying issues.
- Interspersed throughout the textbook, Offline and Technical Details boxes highlight interesting topics and some technical issues, enabling students to delve into key concepts more deeply.
- Chapters end with a Summary, Review Questions and Exercises that give students the opportunity to examine the information security arena outside the classroom. Exercises prompt students to research, analyze and write to reinforce learning objectives and deepen their understanding of the text.
- Emphasizing real-world application, the text is packed with examples of information security issues, tools and practices implemented in today's organizations.
- Up-to-date managerial content equips students with general but valuable information without bogging them down with extraneous, highly specific details.
- The text conforms fully to CNSS Training Standard 4011, which allows federal recognition of programs based on this book.
2. The Need for Security.
3. Legal, Ethical, and Professional Issues in Information Security.
4. Planning for Security.
5. Risk Management.
6. Security Technology: Firewalls, VPNs, and Wireless.
7. Security Technology: Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems and Other Security Tools.
9. Physical Security.
10. Implementing Information Security.
11. Security and Personnel.
12. Information Security Maintenance and eDiscovery.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing. powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.