Request for consultation
The goal of Gulati/Mayo/Nohria's MANAGEMENT is to prepare students for leadership positions in 21st century companies by addressing the many facets involved in answering one key question: How are leaders successfully managing competitive companies in the 21st century? Today's constantly changing business environment presents challenges and opportunities that are more dynamic and complex than ever before, requiring a clear understanding of the interactive nature of strategy, organizational design, and leadership. MANAGEMENT, written by prominent Harvard management educators Ranjay Gulati, Anthony Mayo, and Nitin Nohria, is the only introductory management text on the market to address this challenge by taking an integrated and holistic approach to management, as opposed to a functional approach, making it more relevant to how today's organizations run. By demonstrating the interconnectivity among the three key pillars of management, students clearly see how decisions impact strategic choices, organizational alignment, and leadership approaches, ultimately leading to the overall performance of the company. MindTap for Gulati/Mayo/Nohria's MANAGEMENT, built from the ground up with this first edition, fosters the skill development needed for students to truly think like managers. This entirely unique approach will ultimately develop a sustainable and successful leadership style, better preparing students for subsequent higher level courses and making them more marketable upon graduation. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- MANAGEMENT addresses the interconnectivity of three key pillars: Strategic Position, Organizational Design & Structure, and Individual Leadership, taking a more dynamic and integrated approach rather than a linear one.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- A Self-Reflection starts each chapter, giving students a reality check that will help them place themselves in the context of the chapter.
- The Leadership Development Journey is a comprehensive skills-based activity that allows students to develop who they are and who they will be as managers. This feature translates the theory into action−the "what" into "how."
- A Different View helps define the gray areas within the business landscape, providing the students a glimpse of how the chapter concepts translate into a real-world context by addressing such diverse issues as reducing carbon footprint, leading a "Small Giant", leading in a globalized world, democratic workplaces, managing positive office politics, motivation in the 21st Century, and nonprofit networking.
- Case in Point activities ask students to further explore case examples and provide research opportunities based on text content.
- Aplia is an interactive, online learning solution that increases student effort and engagement. Aplia is designed to help students "Think Like Managers" by showing them how management is relevant to their own lives, helping them understand critical course concepts, and providing opportunities to apply management concepts to real world situations to improve leadership decision making skills.
- MINDTAP FOR MANAGEMENT is a new personal learning experience that combines all your digital assets – readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments— into a singular learning path to improve student outcomes. MindTap offers complimentary web-apps known as MindApps. MindApps range from ReadSpeaker (which reads the text out-loud to students), to Kaltura (allowing you to insert your own video and audio into your curriculum) to ConnectYard (allowing you to create digital "yards" through social media – all without "friending" your students). Aplia is an app within MindTap as well. www.cengage.com/mindtap.
- Write Experience allows you to help students write effectively without adding to your workload! Write Experience uses artificial intelligence to score student writing instantly and accurately. It also provides students with detailed revision goals and feedback on their writing, to help them improve written communication and critical thinking skills. www.cengage.com/writeexperience.
1. Introduction to Management.
2. The Global Business Environment.
3. Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility.
PART II: STRATEGIC PERSPECTIVE.
4. Introduction to Strategy.
5. Business-Level Strategy.
6. Corporate-Level Strategy.
PART III: ORGANIZATIONAL PERSPECTIVE.
7. Organizational Structure and Design.
8. Organizational Culture.
9. Managing Human Capital.
10. Performance Management.
11. Organizational Change.
PART IV: INDIVIDUAL PERSPECTIVE.
12. Leadership in Organizations.
13. Becoming a Leader: Knowing Yourself.
14. Power and Influence.
16. Conflict & Negotiation.
17. Leading Teams.
"Good coverage of topics, clearly defined sections, exercises do a good job relating subject matter to real-world experiences.""Topics are reinforced with good detail and text uses well-known companies/cases to apply topics.""Text provides detail on all subjects without going too far in depth that it loses the reader's attention."
"Overall, the chapter is well-organized, educational, and stimulating. Excellent use of definitions, diagrams, and examples." "Real companies with real problems and real challenges helps make it easier to put things into perspective."
“I think it is good to read about companies that have had success (or failure) and relate them back to the appropriate content of the chapter. "Real world" examples and experience are far more effective than just reading text and concepts.”
“Not only did the majority of this material help with course requirements, but it was also interesting to think about examples from my personal experiences to relate them to various topics discussed.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The instructor companion website provides ongoing support for your course. Receive instant access to the Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint lecture slides as well as other valuable teaching aids like the Video Discussion Guide.
DVD Reel to Real Videos
Featuring the new "On the Job" video series, these clips provide behind-the-scenes insight into today's management issues. These engaging videos take viewers into the inner workings of innovative organizations, including Camp Bow Wow, Theo Chocolates, and Barcelona Restaurants.
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero®, Instant Access for Gulati/Mayo/Nohria's Management: An Integrated Approach
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.