Request for consultation
A longtime favorite with millions of students and instructors, LOOKING OUT, LOOKING IN, 15th Edition maintains its market-leading tradition of linking the latest research and theory to readers' everyday lives. Its user-friendly approach motivates students to learn and apply communication principles in both personal relationships and on the job. Expanded emphasis on social media includes an all-new chapter devoted to the role of mediated communication in interpersonal relationships as well as integrated coverage throughout the book. Diverse examples, new readings, compelling cartoons, lively photos, and popular culture references bring principles to life. Thought-provoking prompts in every section help enhance understanding. Hands-on activities help students put what they learn into action. The result: greater student engagement and success.
- NEW LOWER PRICE. Best-selling LOOKING OUT, LOOKING IN, 15th Edition is now more affordable to make it more accessible for students, especially at a time when budgets are tight and the costs of higher education are rising.
- ALL-NEW CHAPTER. The new Chapter 2, Interpersonal Communication and Social Media, is devoted to the role of mediated communication in interpersonal relationships. Topics include differences between mediated and face-to-face communication, the benefits and costs of social media, how gender and age influence the uses of mediated communication, and how to use social media competently to achieve personal and relational goals.
- EXPANDED COVERAGE OF SOCIAL MEDIA/MEDIATED COMMUNICATION. New coverage of social media is also integrated throughout the book. Comprehensive coverage includes online impression management (Chapter 3), the impact of social media on emotion perception and expression (Chapter 5), nonverbal communication in mediated messages (Chapter 6), giving and receiving support online (Chapter 8), how social media shapes the rise and fall of close relationships (Chapter 9), and the role of social media in communication in families, friendships, and romantic relationships (Chapter 10).
- NEW READINGS. Capturing the attention of today's leaners, engaging new readings help students see how topics relate to their own lives. Readings offer practical insight on how to juggle commitments with friends and romantic partners, how loneliness can be pervasive in a hyperconnected world, instagramming to project an idealized identity, saving lives by texting support, and how posting photos online can strengthen close relationships.
- NEW TOPICS. Completely up to date, the Fifteenth Edition reflects the latest developments and research. New discussions cover striking a balance between power and politeness, giving and receiving social support, expression of positive emotions, and more.
- NEW COVERAGE OF POPULAR CULTURE. Captioned photos in every chapter illustrate how principles in the text operate in everyday life. Examples come from television, films, and people in the news.
- In-text, hands-on activities help instructors illustrate how key course concepts relate to every student's life and experiences. Activities such as Pause and Reflect and Skill Builder exercises are assignable as homework.
- MindTap® Speech for Adler's LOOKING OUT, LOOKING IN, 15th Edition is the digital learning solution that helps you engage and transform your students into critical thinkers. Through paths of dynamic assignments, and applications that you can personalize, real-time course analytics and an accessible reader, MindTap® helps you turn cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers.
- Highlighting the connection between scholarship and everyday life, this seminal user-friendly text delivers a wealth of information and features that show readers how the concepts and skills they learn using this program will help them improve all-important personal and professional relationships.
- An attention-grabbing assortment of photographs, cartoons, and magazine-style readings reinforce concepts, provide quick starting points for lively classroom discussions, and demonstrate the application of the communication principles described in the chapter.
- Maximizing student study time and course success, every chapter includes outlines, learning objectives, key terms, online resources, and other tools to help students focus their studies and gauge their progress.
2. Interpersonal Communication and Social Media.
3. Communication and Identity: Creating and Presenting the Self.
4. Perception: What You See Is What You Get.
5. Emotions: Feeling, Thinking, and Communicating.
6. Language: Barrier and Bridge.
7. Nonverbal Communication: Messages Beyond Words.
8. Listening: More Than Meets the Ear.
9. Communication and Relational Dynamics.
10. Communication in Close Relationships.
11. Improving Communication Climates.
12. Managing Interpersonal Conflicts.
"The text is engaging and students repeatedly tell me that it is the only--or one of the only textbooks they plan on keeping."
"I REALLY like this chapter [new Chapter 2 Interpersonal Communication and Social Media]. It is by far one of the best and most relevant writings on social media research I have seen and I would be excited about the possibility of including it in my curriculum."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.