Request for consultation
LIFETIME PHYSICAL FITNESS AND WELLNESS, 13th Edition, provides students with current information, tools, and guidelines to implement and adhere to a lifetime physical fitness and wellness program. Throughout the text, Werner W. K. Hoeger and Sharon A. Hoeger encourage students to take a critical look at their current behaviors in order to help them identify and abandon negative habits and adopt and maintain healthy behaviors. The authors' emphasis throughout the book is on teaching students how to take control of their personal lifestyles and make changes to promote overall health and wellness. In order to achieve this goal, the authors personalize the information to show students how content relates to their individual lives and provide easy steps to help students begin the process of behavior change. The unique design of this text integrates activities throughout each chapter, which allows students to learn core concepts and immediately apply their knowledge through self-review and application activities. In addition, LIFETIME PHYSICAL FITNESS AND WELLNESS is part of an integrated textbook program that extends beyond the text to online resources that further students' understanding through personalized learning plans, online labs, and tracking their behavior change progress.
- Updated throughout to include new information from the latest research studies on physical activity and healthy lifestyle habits. Also, for improved assignability, the A-heads and B-heads have been numbered.
- This text has been thoroughly updated throughout to include the most up-to-date information from the latest research studies on physical activity and healthy lifestyle habits. Also, for improved assignability, the A-heads and B-heads have been numbered.
- "Frequently Asked Questions" address common issues, beliefs, and concerns most often expressed by students and connect the answers to the chapter concepts.
- Chapter opening "Personal Profile" feature asks students a series of questions regarding the current status of their own fitness/wellness. This inventory draws students into the text by showing them immediately how their actions are related to their current level of health, and what steps the text will outline for behavior change. Students can build upon the profile as they read the chapter, as well as keep the results as a profile piece for later review.
- This text integrates over 50 activities that promote active learning and assess students' fitness and wellness levels making the concepts more relevant to students' lives. At the end of many activities, critical-thinking questions encourage students to apply what they have learned to their own personal fitness and wellness goals.
- "Behavior Modification Planning" boxes include bulleted information and research on popular topics that highlight ways students can change their fitness and wellness behavior. Topics include recognition of fad diet plans, cholesterol management, nutrition and cancer prevention, and anger management. Accompanying "Try It" critical thinking activities encourage students to put the recommended strategies and their own knowledge into action.
- Inspiring Real Life Stories in each chapter use first person narratives to describe how students have made positive health changes in their own lives, including the challenges they faced and the strategies they used to overcome them.
- Tear-out reference cards provide practical information in a portable format. "For Easy Reference" cards list health information that students may use frequently, such as nutritional content for popular fast food menu options. "Check Yourself" cards provide checklists of positive health behaviors to help students assess their current behavior and they can track their progress toward better health throughout the semester and beyond.
- "Assess Your Knowledge" multiple-choice review questions at the end of each chapter focus on core concepts and allow students to evaluate what they have learned. Answers are provided at the end of the book.
- "Assess Your Behavior" sections at the end of each chapter assess students' current behavior as it relates to chapter topics and highlight areas they need to change to improve their fitness and wellness.
2. Behavior Modification.
3. Nutrition for Wellness.
4. Body Composition.
5. Weight Management.
6. Cardiorespiratory Endurance.
7. Muscular Strength and Endurance.
8. Muscular Flexibility.
9. Comprehensive Fitness Programming.
10. Preventing Cardiovascular Disease.
11. Cancer Prevention.
12. Stress Assessment and Management Techniques.
13. Addictive Behavior.
14. Preventing Sexually Transmitted Infections.
15. Lifetime Fitness and Wellness.
Appendix A: Physical Fitness and Wellness Profile.
Appendix B: Nutritive Value of Selected Foods.
Notes and Suggested Readings.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Test bank also available within MindTap.