Request for consultation
With its practical, hands-on approach to legal ethics, the third edition of LEGAL ETHICS is designed to ensure that students have a solid grasp of the ethical rules that apply in the legal setting. Comprehensive yet easy to understand, this engaging text provides a thorough and substantive analysis of the major principles that affect how the practice of law is regulated. Filled with real-life examples of lawyer and non-lawyer instances of misconduct, current and classic case law, and discussions of famous (and infamous) people, this straightforward text brings the material to life and demonstrates how courts interpret and apply ethical rules to lawyers and their non-lawyer employees. Updated study aids, ethical dilemmas, case studies, and coverage of the paralegal job market and compensation have been added to the third edition so that students are prepared for a career in today's legal workplace.
- STUDY AIDS. Chapter outlines and chapter highlights have been added to each chapter in order to emphasize key terms and introduce and summarize key points of the material.
- ETHICAL ISSUES. Designed to put the chapter content in a real-world context, short narratives about paralegals and lawyers entitled "Ethics Matters" can be found in each chapter. The third edition also contains new discussion of "Ethics 20/20," which is the American Bar Association's most recent effort at revising its ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct.
- CASE STUDIES. New "Not Quite Lincoln" stories have been added to each chapter. Each Not Quite Lincoln is an easy-to-read, mid-sized vignette that is a warning about what not to do.
- RECENT TRENDS. The third edition includes discussion of how the latest trends on the Internet impact legal ethics, including LegalZoom, Facebook, cloud computing, social media sites, and Groupon.com.
- CAREER COVERAGE. Updated data on the paralegal job market and compensation, as collected by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and key paralegal organizations, have been provided.
- REAL-WORLD APPLICATION. Dozens of real-life examples of lawyer and non-lawyer misbehaviors help breathe life into the ethics rules. In addition, current and classic case law help students see how courts interpret and apply the ethics rules to lawyers and their non-lawyer employees.
- HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIOS. "Ethics in Action" features are provided at the end of every chapter in order to expose students to the types of dilemmas that are likely to be found in the real world.
- MOVIE GUIDE. A legal ethics movie guide appendix brings important principles to life.
2. Paralegals and Their Profession.
3. The Unauthorized Practice of Law.
4. Confidentiality .
5. Conflicts of Interest.
6. Advertising and Solicitation.
7. Fees and Fee Sharing.
8. Ethics in Litigation, Malpractice Liability, and Pro Bono Services.
"I enjoy the author's writing style. The text material is organized and well written and delivered in an interesting manner that will keep the reader's attention. The level of difficulty is appropriate for my students. The concepts are clearly explained, and I believe, the features are most appropriate for easy understanding and enjoyment."
"Ethics tends to be a rather dry subject matter. I like that Kent Kauffman has taken the time to find interesting real cases to spice up the text and make it more interesting for the students. Instead of using the same tried and true examples this text brings us into the 21st century with relevant examples."