Request for consultation
Uses an innovative storytelling approach to bring cases and legal concepts to life and appeal to students with LEGAL ENVIRONMENT, 6E. This engaging text presents a full range of legal environment topics in a series of brief, quick-read chapters. The authors emphasize the business applications of concepts, making material relevant to students no matter what their future career paths. Features, such as "You Be the Judge" cases in each chapter, encourage complex and lively class discussion as they present the facts of the case and arguments from both sides with the court’s decision only revealed in the Instructor’s Manual. With the clarity of writing, you don’t spend as much time in class explaining basic concepts, which allows time for other enriching discussions. Instructors, like you, rave about the book’s clarity and ability to make contract law readable. The new edition further ensures understanding with MindTap®, a fully online, highly personalized learning experience.
- ENTIRE CHAPTER IS NOW DEVOTED TO EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION. Student are able to examine this issue of growing legal importance in detail.
- NEW MINDTAP® OFFERS STUDENTS A FULLY ONLINE, HIGHLY PERSONALIZED LEARNING EXPERIENCE. Built around proven Cengage Learning content, MindTap® combines learning tools -- such as readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments -- into a singular learning path that guides students through your course. You can personalize the experience by customizing content and learning tools. MindTap® enables you to add our own content with apps that integrate into the MindTap® framework seamlessly and work with leading learning management systems.
- EXPANDED COVERAGE ADDRESSES CYBERLAW AND PRIVACY TOPICS. This edition’s important cyberlaw chapter now includes a thorough discussion of privacy both on and offline. This key information is essential for anyone who has ever connected to the Internet or has worried that private data could become public.
- REWRITTEN INTERNATIONAL LAW CHAPTER CLEARLY INTRODUCES THE BASIC STRUCTURE AND IMPACT OF INTERNATIONAL LAW. This chapter discusses: (1) how international law is created, (2) major treaties and other sources of international law, (3) the world’s different legal systems, (4) the application of U.S. law overseas, and (5) the enforceability of foreign laws and treaties in the United States.
- INCREASED COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS TOPICS OF PARTICULAR INTEREST TO STUDENTS. Engage students with topics such as social media, technology, and cutting-edge intellectual property issues. This edition’s bankruptcy chapter now includes a new section on student loans. The crime chapter explores the application of constitutional standards of privacy to new technology, such as DNA tests, digital cameras, social media, cellphones, and computers. The consumer law chapter examines the legal issues raised when students spend money through direct debit, ATM cards, and prepaid debit cards.
- NEW CASE QUESTIONS DEMONSTRATE USEFUL, PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS. These new, meaningful Case Questions, added to the end-of-chapter material, help students apply chapter concepts to today’s real-world legal issues.
- EXCELLENT TEST PREPARATION FEATURES EQUIP STUDENTS FOR EXAMS. "Exam Strategy" and "Exam Review" features in every chapter offer opportunities for students to put what they learn into practice. These features guide students through the process of finding the correct answer. By review this process frequently, students become better prepared to answer exam questions.
- HIGHLIGHTED KEY TERMS ENSURE UNDERSTANDING. These key terms in the margins help students focus on the most important concepts as they read.
- RESEARCH-BASED ETHICS CHAPTERFOCUSES ON ETHICAL RESULTS. Ethics is one of the toughest topics to teach –- often devolving into a discussion of students’ feelings. This chapter discusses various philosophical approaches and includes a section on Ethics Traps that emphasizes what cognitive research teaches about how people convince themselves to make the wrong decision. A discussion of the Giving Voice to Values curriculum shows students how to be effective in achieving the desired ethical result.
- CONTINUALLY UPDATED COVERAGE ADDRESSES EVOLVING ISSUES. This book’s content is carefully revised to reflect todays and tomorrows changing landscape regarding international, domestic, social media, and online legal issues.
- CONVERSATIONAL, ENTERTAINING WRITING STYLE ENGAGES READERS. This book’s signature student-friendly writing style incorporates entertaining stories, illustrations, and scenarios -- along with timely humor -- to deliver a lively presentation of legal material that truly engages today’s readers and helps them better retain what they learn.
- CRITICAL THINKING FEATURES ENCOURAGE DEEPER THINKING. "You Be the Judge" and "Ethics" and other critical thinking features in each chapter prompt students to analyze as they read, which increases their synthesis of different concepts and sharpens their analytical skills.
1. Introduction to Law.
2. Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility.
3. Dispute Resolution.
4. Common Law, Statutory Law, and Administrative Law.
5. Constitutional Law.
6. Torts and Product Liability.
7. Cyberlaw and Privacy.
9. International Law.
UNIT II: Contracts and the UCC.
10. Introduction to Contracts.
11. Legality, Consent, and Writing.
12. Performance Discharge, and Remedies.
13. Practical Contracts.
14. The UCC: Sales and Secured Transactions.
15. Negotiable Instruments.
UNIT III: Agency and Employment Law.
17. Agency Law.
18. Employment and Labor Law.
19. Employment Discrimination.
UNIT IV: Business Organizations.
20. Starting a Business: LLCs and Other Options.
22. Securities Regulation.
UNIT V: Government Regulation and Property.
24. Intellectual Property.
26. Consumer Protection.
27. Environmental Law.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, the Instructor’s Manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.