Request for consultation
Designed to provide learners with a foundation in medical law and ethics, this book uses case studies from actual legal procedures to illustrate key points of law, interpretation of statutes, as well as ethical dilemmas. This newly revised edition helps the medical office professional interact with the legal profession, recognize when they need legal advice, and protect their employers from medical malpractice complaints. In addition to understanding their rights as an employee, the rights of the patient are explored, as well.
- New HIPAA and confidentiality legislation updates throughout, with additional icon, designating the introduction of new HIPAA information
- Legal vocabulary terms defined on the same page that the terms are introduced
- New Appendix includes complete answers to all of the Cases For Discussion questions
- Updated information on patient privacy, found in Chapter 9 � Privacy, Confidentiality, Privileged Communication: A Nexus of Law and Ethics
- New cases added, including newly updated material in Chapter12 � Ethics: Death and Dying
Chapter 1: Fromt Examining Room to Courtroom.
Chapter 2: Functioning Within the Legal System.
Chapter 3: Intent Makes the Difference.
Chapter 4: Your Words May Form a Contract.
Chapter 5: Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Case.
Chapter 6: Health Care Is Big Business.
Chapter 7: Tne Medical Record: The Medical Assistant's Responsibilty.
Chapter 8: Introduction to Ethics.
Chapter 9: Privacy, Confidentiality, Privledged Communication: A Nexus of Law and Ethics. Chapter 10: Birth and the Beginning of Life.
Chapter 11: Professional Ethics and the Living.
Chapter 12: Ethics: Death and Dying.