Request for consultation
LAW AND ETHICS FOR PHARMACY TECHNICIANS, 2nd Edition explores the legal and ethical landscape surrounding pharmacy technician careers today. Interactive and thought-provoking, the text uses case studies to engage readers in real-life legal and ethical dilemmas to enhance critical thinking and broaden perspectives. Beginning with an overview of liability as it applies to pharmacy technicians, chapters progress through state and federal regulations, ethics in pharmacy practice, HIPAA, workplace safety, and other key topics recommended by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) and the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP). Engaging features also include end-of-chapter questions, highlighted state regulations, a glossary, and eight in-depth appendices on essential topics ranging from Medication Errors to State Boards. More than a text, LAW AND ETHICS FOR PHARMACY TECHNICIANS, 2nd Edition is an essential reference that helps pharmacy technicians thrive in their ever-expanding roles and at any stage of their careers.
- New Liability Overview: An entire new chapter entitled "Principles of Liability" provides a basic understanding of the law as it relates to the responsibilities of pharmacy technicians when dispensing prescription drugs and pharmacological advice.
- Reviewer-Approved Updates: All chapter content, including names of organizations, and appendices, have been thoroughly updated in response to reviewer requests and comments.
- Legal Links: Throughout the chapters, highlighted Weblinks direct readers to important laws and regulations on a state-by-state basis, making the book an indispensible, reliable reference for pharmacy techs in training.
- New CourseMate: Designed to streamline and enhance course preparation and student learning, this robust tool includes quizzes, more than 200 questions, flashcards, an interactive eBook, engagement tracker, and more.
- Enhanced Learning: Chapters end with review questions, including multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and matching formats, for challenging self-test opportunities.
- Thoughtful Case Studies: Real-life situations and case studies add interest to the readings while developing the problem-solving skills pharmacy technicians need to fill prescriptions safely and accurately.
- Engaging Features: "You be the Judge" and "What Would You Do?" features ask readers to apply laws to ethical dilemmas in professional pharmacy practice, and consider the impacts of their decisions.
- Integrated Pharmacy Laws: Readings highlight differences in state laws and regulations, and an appendix supplements this information in tabular format.
SECTION A: THE FOUNDATION OF LAW AND ETHICS.
1. Introduction to Law.
2. Principles of Liability.
3. Ethics in the Pharmacy Practice
SECTION B: FEDERAL LAWS.
4. Federal Regulation of Drug Products.
5. Comprehensive Drug Abuse and Prevention Control Act: A Closer Look.
6. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
7. Workplace Safety Laws.
SECTION C: STATE LAWS AFFECTING PHARMACY PRACTICE.
8. State Laws and Pharmacy Practice.
9. State Boards of Pharmacy and The Joint Commission.
Appendix A. Suggested Responses to "What Would You Do?" and "You Be the Judge."
Appendix B. Medication Errors (MedWatch).
Appendix C. Special Tasks for Pharmacy Technicians in Community Settings.
Appendix D. State-by-State Approved Duties of Pharmacy Technicians in Hospital Settings.
Appendix E. State Qualifications for Pharmacy Technicians.
Appendix F. State Boards of Pharmacy.
Appendix G. Professional Organizations.
Appendix H. United States Pharmacopeial Foundation (USP) and National Formulary (NF) Drug Monograph Sample.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access