Request for consultation
Landscape Construction, 3rd edition, will help your students understand the process of construction and implementation of a multitude of exterior hardscape construction projects. This book begins with the preparation for construction and follows through to the installation of the final elements of the landscape project. Your students will appreciate the detailed discussions about site preparation, grading and drainage, utilities and irrigation, retaining wall construction, paving, exterior carpentry and fencing and free-standing walls. Such amenities as pools, ponds, and edging are also discussed in detail. All instructions are well supported by photos and illustrations. Each section contains thorough installation information for most of the contemporary materials used in today’s landscapes. David Sauter has provided your students with expert perspective on materials and techniques, as well as easy-to-follow instructions.
- Includes a new section on installing plants, turf, and meadows.
- Contains expanded information on sustainable landscape construction.
- Includes new installation techniques for drip irrigation, low-voltage lighting, permeable pavement, and recycled pavement and walls.
- Includes new information on materials installation for staining concrete, tensile-fabric structures, outdoor kitchens, misting and fogging systems and resilient play surfaces.
- Contains an explanation of new tools for better work performance.
- Inclusion of information on bidding and estimating improves bid performance.
- Inclusion of photos and illustrations provide more clarity in support of the written material.
- Contains step-by-step instructions that make the projects easier to accomplish.
- Contains discussions of materials and methods that provide options for executing hardscape improvements.
1. The Landscape Construction Process.
2. Legal Requirements.
3. Interpreting Construction Documents.
4. Construction Math.
5. Project Pricing.
6. Safety in the Workplace.
7. Basic Construction Techniques and Equipment Operation.
8. Construction Staking.
SECTION 2: SITE PREPARATION.
9. Preservation of Existing Site Elements.
10. Removing Unwanted Site Elements.
SECTION 3: GRADING, SITE DRAINAGE, AND EROSION PROTECTION.
11. Site Grading.
12. Site Drainage.
13. Erosion Control.
SECTION 4: SITE UTILITIES.
14. DC Site Lighting and Related Electrical Work.
15. Water and Irrigation System Installation.
SECTION 5: LANDSCAPE RETAINING WALLS AND STAIRS.
16. Materials and Installation Techniques for Retaining Walls.
17. Timber Retaining Walls.
18. Segmental Precast Unit Retaining Walls.
19. Dry-Laid Stone Retaining Walls.
20. Gabion Retaining Walls.
SECTION 6: LANDSCAPE PAVING.
22. Materials and Site Preparation for Paving.
23. Concrete Paving.
24. Unit Pavers.
25. Dry-Laid Stone Paving.
26. Mortared Paving.
27. Granular and Open Cellular Paving.
SECTION 7: WOOD LANDSCAPE STRUCTURES.
28. Materials for Exterior Carpentry.
29. Wood Decks and Platforms.
30. Wood Stairs, Railings, Seating, and Skirting.
31. Overhead Structures.
SECTION 8: FENCES AND FREESTANDING WALLS.
33. Freestanding Walls.
SECTION 9: SITE AMENITIES.
34. Water Features and Bridges.
35. Site Furniture, Signage, Prefabricated Playground Equipment, Outdoor Kitchens, and Patio Amenities.
36. Edging, Planters, and Plant Protection Equipment.
SECTION 10: PLANTING.
37. Plant Material Installation.
38. Establishment of Turf and Meadows.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Instructor's Manual serves as an instructional resource and provides teaching tips or guidelines, answers to review questions, and references.