Request for consultation
One of the best ways for your students to succeed in their biology course is through hands-on lab experience. With its 46 lab exercises and hundreds of color photos and illustrations, the LABORATORY MANUAL FOR GENERAL BIOLOGY, Fifth Edition, is your students' guide to a better understanding of biology. Most exercises can be completed within two hours, and answers to the exercises are included in the Instructor's Manual. The perfect companion to Starr and Taggart's BIOLOGY: THE UNITY AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE, Eleventh Edition, as well as Starr's BIOLOGY: CONCEPTS AND APPLICATIONS, Sixth Edition, and BIOLOGY: TODAY AND TOMORROW, this lab manual can also be used with any introductory biology text.
- Labs 18 to 30 have been updated to contain the most up-to-date information on taxonomy that appears within our introductory biology text books by Cecie Starr.
- A modular structure. Each section of an exercise is self contained with its own procedure and materials list. Plus, instructors can match assignments to their own lab preferences.
- The art program brings illustrations to the same high level as the Starr texts.
- An emphasis on hypothesis testing, with investigative (experimental) options, helps students learn and use the scientific process.
- Refined, concise introductions to exercises and streamlined procedures clarify the presentation, making the material more accessible and increasing student comprehension.
- Pre-lab questions prepare the students for the exercise while the Post lab questions focus on what was learned directly from the exercise.
- This edition contains more than 600 colorful and clearly labeled photos, diagrams, and illustrations.
- This is a great lab manual to customize! The flexible structure and variety of labs allows instructors to pick and choose which labs they will use and to create the most effective and efficient lab manual possible.
- The approximate time each section should take is listed in the instructor's manual to help instructors better prepare assignments.
To the Student.
Laboratory Supplies and Procedures.
EXERCISE 1 The Scientific Method.
EXERCISE 2 Measurement.
EXERCISE 3 Microscopy.
EXERCISE 4 Homeostasis.
EXERCISE 5 Macromolecules and You: Food and Diet Analysis.
EXERCISE 6 Structure and Function of Living Cells.
EXERCISE 7 Diffusion, Osmosis, and the Functional Significance of Biological Membranes.
EXERCISE 8 Enzymes: Catalysts of Life.
EXERCISE 9 Photosynthesis: Capture of Light Energy.
EXERCISE 10 Respiration: Energy Conversion.
EXERCISE 11 Mitosis and Cytokinesis: Nuclear and Cytoplasmic Division.
EXERCISE 12 Meiosis: Basis of Sexual Reproduction.
EXERCISE 13 Heredity.
EXERCISE 14 Nucleic Acids: Blueprints for Life.
EXERCISE 15 Biotechnology: Bacterial Transformation.
EXERCISE 16 Evolutionary Agents.
EXERCISE 17 Evidences of Evolution.
EXERCISE 18 Taxonomy: Classifying and Naming Organisms.
EXERCISE 19 Bacteria and Protists I.
EXERCISE 20 Protists II.
EXERCISE 21 Fungi.
EXERCISE 22 Bryophytes�Liverworts and Mosses.
EXERCISE 23 Seedless Vascular Plants: Club Mosses and Ferns.
EXERCISE 24 Seed Plants I: Gymnosperms.
EXERCISE 25 Seed Plants II: Angiosperms.
EXERCISE 26 Sponges and Cnidarians.
EXERCISE 27 Flatworms and Rotifers.
EXERCISE 28 Segmented Worms and Mollusks.
EXERCISE 29 Roundworms and Joint-Legged Animals.
EXERCISE 30 Echinoderms and Invertebrate Chordates.
EXERCISE 31 Vertebrates.
EXERCISE 32 Plant Organization: Vegetative Organs of Flowering Plants.
EXERCISE 33 Animal Organization.
EXERCISE 34 Dissection of the Fetal Pig: Introduction, External Anatomy, and the Muscular System.
EXERCISE 35 Dissection of the Fetal Pig: Digestive, Respiratory, and Circulatory Systems.
EXERCISE 36 Dissection of the Fetal Pig: Urogenital and Nervous Systems.
EXERCISE 37 Human Sensations, Reflexes, and Reactions.
EXERCISE 38 Structure and Function of the Sensory Organs.
EXERCISE 39 Human Skeletal and Muscular Systems.
EXERCISE 40 Human Blood and Circulation.
EXERCISE 41 Human Respiration.
EXERCISE 42 Animal Development: Gametogenesis and Fertilization.
EXERCISE 43 Animal Development: Cleavage, Gastrulation, and Late Development.
EXERCISE 44 The Natural Arsenal: An Experimental Study of the Relationships Between Plants and Animals.
EXERCISE 45 Ecology: Living Organisms in Their Environment.
EXERCISE 46 Human Impact on the Environment: Stream Ecology.
EXERCISE 47 Animal Behavior.
APPENDIX 1 Measurement Conversions.
APPENDIX 2 Genetics Problems.
APPENDIX 3 Terms of Orientation in and Around the Animal Body.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Laboratory Manual for Non-Majors Biology
One of the best ways for your students to succeed in their biology course is through hands-on lab experience. With its 46 lab exercises and hundreds of color photos and illustrations, the LABORATORY MANUAL FOR NON-MAJORS BIOLOGY, Sixth Edition, is your students' guide to a better understanding of biology. Most exercises can be completed within two hours, and answers to the exercises are included in the Instructor's Manual. The perfect companion to Starr and Taggart's BIOLOGY: THE UNITY AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE, as well as Starr's BIOLOGY: CONCEPTS AND APPLICATIONS, and BIOLOGY TODAY AND TOMORROW, this lab manual can also be used with any introductory biology text.
Laboratory Manual for Non-Majors Biology
Succeed in biology with LABORATORY MANUAL FOR NON-MAJORS BIOLOGY! Through hands-on lab experience, this biology laboratory manual reinforces biology concepts to help you get a better grade. Exercises, pre-lab questions, and post-lab questions enhance your understanding and make lab assignments easy to complete and easy to comprehend.