Request for consultation
Succinct but thorough and cutting edge, Siegel and Welsh's JUVENILE DELINQUENCY: THE CORE, 6th Edition presents theory, policy, relevant legal cases, and the latest research in a value-priced, student-friendly paperback. This brief text is acclaimed for its authority and balance as well as the authors' ability to completely engage students in the juvenile delinquency course. In around 500 pages, Siegel and Welsh help students understand the nature of delinquency, its causes and correlates, and current strategies being used to control or eliminate its occurrence. What's more, the MindTap® online learning platform available with this text helps students practice and master techniques and key concepts while engaging them with video cases, career scenarios, and visual summaries.
- Completely updated throughout, this edition includes new or revised discussions of such timely topics as the rapid expansion of foster care in the U.S., cyberbullying, juveniles and social networking sites, DNA collection in juvenile court, the incarceration of status offenders and policy measures to improve their treatment, parental monitoring and delinquency risk reduction, limited opportunity, restorative justice initiatives that target juvenile offenders, emotional differences between boys and girls, the narrowing of the gender gap in delinquency, and sex trafficking victims.
- New and revised topics include the close association between prison gangs and street gangs, newly-emerging types of gang activities and views of gang formation, the link between school success and delinquency, school violence, school-based delinquency prevention programs, the latest research on the effects of medical marijuana laws on juvenile drug use, teen drug courts, juveniles' attitudes toward the police, and the latest Supreme Court ruling on life without parole for juvenile offenders.
- The book presents new research on training police in procedural justice and the latest developments following the shooting of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri, including the President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing and the latest findings on what works for police efforts to prevent juvenile crime.
- The new MindTap® for Juvenile Delinquency is an online learning platform offering customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience -- all delivered within your current learning management system. With its rich array of media assets -- all tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level -- MindTap engages students, guides them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advances their critical thinking abilities.
- With its unbiased and objective approach, the text covers every side of each issue without taking a political or theoretical position -- enabling students to form their own opinions.
- The text's popular "Focus On" boxed features highlight controversial issues and important research from the field. Topics include sexting, cyber-bullying, waivers, life sentences for juveniles, race and gender delinquency, and research on factors and learned attitudes that lead to delinquency.
- Offering personal insight from real people in the field, "Professional Spotlight" features give students an up-close, real-world view of careers in action. These profiles provide guest perspectives from a variety of professionals in the juvenile justice system -- including a probation officer, judge, CASA, school resource officer, and many others -- who showcase the day-to-day job responsibilities of readers' potential careers.
- Reflecting trends from the field and emphasizing intervention strategies for at-risk juveniles, "Juvenile Delinquency: Prevention/Intervention/Treatment" explores the successes behind programs like Homeboy Industries, founded by a Jesuit priest who believed people are happier when employed; the Youth Substance Abuse Safety Program and various other restorative justice initiatives (new); and Girls Inc. Friendly PEERsuasion, a program that develops girls' skills to resist pressure to use harmful substances (new).
- Providing maximum reinforcement and student success, chapters begin with numbered learning objectives that are carefully matched to headings in the chapter narrative (through the integration of "CheckPoints") as well as linked to corresponding quiz items in MindTap®.
- With 14 chapters and approximately 500 pages, JUVENILE DELINQUENCY is a visually appealing, truly "core" text at a modest "essentials" price. Its succinct yet thorough coverage couples the latest research with an emphasis on real-world practice in a package that delivers excellent value.
2. The Nature and Extent of Delinquency.
3. Individual Views of Delinquency: Choice and Trait.
4. Sociological Views of Delinquency.
5. Developmental Views of Delinquency: Life Course and Latent Trait.
6. Gender and Delinquency.
7. The Family and Delinquency.
8. Peers and Delinquency: Juvenile Gangs and Groups.
9. Schools and Delinquency.
10. Drug Use and Delinquency.
11. Delinquency Prevention and Juvenile Justice Today.
12. Police Work with Juveniles.
13. Juvenile Court Process: Pretrial, Trial, and Sentencing.
14. Juvenile Corrections: Probation, Community Treatment, and Institutionalization.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Online Test Bank -- Microsoft® Word
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions -- most with answers and page references for each chapter of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.