Request for consultation
With an emphasis on real-world math applications, the Sixth Edition of INTRODUCTORY TECHNICAL MATHEMATICS is essential for anyone considering a career in today's sophisticated trade and technical work environments. Practical, straightforward, and easy to understand, this hands-on text helps students build a solid understanding of math concepts through step-by-step examples and problems drawn from various occupations. Updated to include the most current information in the field, the sixth edition includes expanded coverage of topics such as estimation usage, spreadsheets, and energy-efficient electrical applications.
- Spreadsheet coverage now includes basic instruction for calculations, solving equations, graphing, and statistics.
- Estimation usage has been expanded throughout the text to help students understand whether or not an answer is reasonable.
- Instruction and examples are included for using digital micrometers and calipers.
- Clear explanations pair with easy-to-follow procedural steps for solving examples.
- Written in a helpful, straightforward style, this text begins with simpler concepts and helps students work up to solving even the most complex problems.
- Illustrations accompany many of the problems and are modeled after those found in technical manuals and handbooks, emphasizing the relevance of mathematics concepts on the job.
- Coverage of statistics includes basic statistics as well as the statistical graphing techniques of bar, line, and circle graphs.
1. Whole Numbers.
2. Common Fractions.
3. Decimal Fractions.
4. Ratio and Proportion.
6. Signed Numbers.
SECTION II: MEASUREMENT.
7. Precision, Accuracy, and Tolerance.
8. Customary Measurement Units.
9. Metric Measurement Units.
10. Steel Rules and Vernier Calipers.
SECTION III: FUNDAMENTALS OF ALGEBRA.
12. Introduction to Algebra.
13. Basic Algebraic Operations.
14. Simple Equations.
15. Complex Equations.
16. The Cartesian Coordinate System and Graphs of Linear Equations.
17. Systems of Equations.
18. Quadratic Equations.
SECTION IV: FUNDAMENTALS OF PLANE GEOMETRY.
19. Introduction to Plane Geometry.
20. Angular Measure.
21. Angular Geometric Principles.
23. Congruent and Similar Figures.
SECTION V: GEOMETRIC FIGURES: AREAS AND VOLUMES.
26. Areas of Common Polygons.
27. Areas of Circles, Sectors, Segments, and Ellipses.
28. Prisms and Cylinders: Volumes, Surface Areas, and Weights.
29. Pyramids and Cones: Volumes, Surface Areas, and Weights.
30. Spheres and Composite Figures: Volumes, Surface Areas, and Weights.
SECTION VI: BASIC STATISTICS.
Section VI: Basic Statistics.
31. Graphs: Bar, Circle, and Line.
SECTION VII: FUNDAMENTALS OF TRIGONOMETRY.
33. Introduction to Trigonometric Functions.
34. Trigonometric Functions with Right Triangles.
35. Practical Applications with Right Triangles.
36. Functions of Any Angle, Oblique Triangles.
APPENDIX A: UNITED STATES CUSTOMARY AND METRIC UNITS OF MEASURE.
APPENDIX B: FORMULAS FOR AREAS (A) OF PLANE FIGURES.
APPENDIX C: FORMULAS FOR VOLUMES AND AREAS OF SOLID FIGURES.
APPENDIX D: ANSWERS TO ODD-NUMBERED EXERCISES.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Your Instructor Companion Website includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook section, computerized test banks, Instructor's Solutions Manual, and other text-specific resources.
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch reader comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
WebTutor™ Plus on Blackboard® Instant Access Code
Succeed in your mathematics course with this anytime, anywhere customized learning solution that reinforces and clarifies complex concepts, provides online quizzes with instant feedback and other online learning tools, and keeps you connected to your textbook, instructor, and classmates.