Request for consultation
Used by hundreds of thousands of students since its first edition, INTRODUCTION TO PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS, Fourteenth Edition, continues to blend the best of its proven, error-free coverage with new innovations. Written for the higher end of the traditional introductory statistics market, the book takes advantage of modern technology--including computational software and interactive visual tools--to facilitate statistical reasoning as well as the interpretation of statistical results. In addition to showing how to apply statistical procedures, the authors explain how to describe real sets of data meaningfully, what the statistical tests mean in terms of their practical applications, how to evaluate the validity of the assumptions behind statistical tests, and what to do when statistical assumptions have been violated. The new edition retains the statistical integrity, examples, exercises, and exposition that have made this text a market leader--and builds upon this tradition of excellence with new technology integration.
- The book's website, Statistics CourseMate, includes a Personal Trainer feature that offers further explanation of some of the more difficult concepts through detailed definitions, step-by-step hints on problem solving, self-correcting exercises, and data sets for text exercises. Applets demonstrate key concepts so they are easily visualized, accompanied by exercises that provide practice in the required statistical methods and immediate feedback with answers. An icon in the text margin identifies concepts and applications for which an applet is available on the website.
- Technology Today features at the end of each chapter offer Microsoft® Excel 2010 and MINITAB outputs and instructions, giving students hands-on experience performing statistical analysis with these widely used programs.
- Exercises: The book includes more than 1,300 exercises, many of which are new or updated for this edition. New topics for the book's chapter-ending case study exercises include "How to Save Money for Groceries," "School Accountability Study: How Is Your School Doing?" and "Are You Going to Curve the Grades?"
- Market leader: The integrity of the statistics and the quality of the examples and exercises keep this text in the bestseller category. Comprehensive in coverage, it delivers a more rigorous offering with traditional coverage of probability. Instructors and students alike appreciate its error-free material and exercises, and its clear exposition.
- Real data: The first to incorporate case studies and real data, this text continues to set the standard. Many examples and exercises use authentic data sets, helping students see the connections between their studies and their lives.
- Quick reference: At the end of each chapter, Key Concepts and Formulas sections provide quick reference for students, helping them ensure they are well prepared for assignments and tests.
1. Describing Data with Graphs.
2. Describing Data with Numerical Measures.
3. Describing Bivariate Data.
4. Probability and Probability Distributions.
5. Several Useful Discrete Distributions.
6. The Normal Probability Distribution.
7. Sampling Distributions.
8. Large-Sample Estimation.
9. Large-Sample Tests of Hypotheses.
10. Inference from Small Samples.
11. The Analysis of Variance.
12. Linear Regression and Correlation.
13. Multiple Regression Analysis.
14. Analysis of Categorical Data.
15. Nonparametric Statistics.
Appendix I: Tables.
Answers to Selected Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructors Solutions Manual
Complete solutions to all the problems in the text.
This online instructor database offers complete worked solutions to all exercises in the text, allowing you to create customized, secure solutions printouts (in PDF format) matched exactly to the problems you assign in class. Visit Cengage.com/solutionbuilder for more information.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This CD-ROM provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching, including Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. You'll also find a link to Solution Builder's online solutions manual, allowing you to easily build solution sets for homework or exams.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
CourseMate Instant Access
Complement your text and course content with study and practice materials. Cengage Learning's Statistics CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Statistics CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Student Solutions Manual
Go beyond the answers--see what it takes to get there and improve your grade! This manual provides worked-out, step-by-step solutions to the odd-numbered problems in the text, giving you the information you need to truly understand how these problems are solved.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Quizzing with Video, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Instructional videos and interactive practice quizzes designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. Instructional videos help to bring important ideas to life. Practice quizzes consist of true/false and multiple choice questions for each chapter. Check your score and take quizzes again if needed. A reference for where to find more material in the text is included with each answer. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, practice quizzes and flashcards are already included.
Quizzing, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Interactive practice quizzes designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. True/false and multiple choice questions are included for each chapter. Check your score and take quizzes again if needed. A reference for where to find more material in the text is included with each answer. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.