Request for consultation
Exploring the dynamic of working in a modern law office setting, this updated Eighth Edition of INTRODUCTION TO PARALEGALISM provides new paralegals with the hands-on skills and real-world context necessary to succeed in the field. Ten critical skills are covered in the book: identifying legal issues, breaking rules into elements,applying rules to facts interviewing clients, investigating facts, digesting discovery documents, providing litigation assistance, researching the law, drafting documents, and representing clients at administrative agencies where authorized by law. Packed with real-life insights and real-world examples, the text helps students develop an understanding of the ethical guidelines that lawyers and paralegals must follow and covers the efforts underway to regulate the profession in legislatures, courts, bar associations, and paralegal associations.
- The book reflects the latest changes in the profession, including regulation and career opportunities.
- Updated coverage of paralegal tasks, such as legal research and evidence management, reflects the realities of today's paralegal role.
- Updated examples, assignments, hands-on activities, and charts help students master key concepts.
- Comprehensive coverage of critical competency areas and key skills, such as research and writing and administrative tasks, prepare students for their role as an integral part of the legal team.
- Numerous charts facilitate comparison of such topics as the different employment settings of paralegals and the variety of tests used by the court to define the practice of law.
- Practical assignments and review questions allow students to apply each chapter's concepts.
- Each chapter includes chapter outlines, checklists, chapter summaries, and key terms to help students master the material.
- Links to websites allow students to explore up-to-date topics in further detail.
2. Paralegal Employment.
3. On-the-Job Realities: Assertiveness Training for Paralegals.
4. The Regulation of Paralegals.
5. Attorney Ethics and Paralegal Ethics.
6. Introduction to the Legal System.
7. Introduction to Legal Analysis.
8. Legal Interviewing.
9. Investigation in a Law Office.
10. Litigation Assistantship.
11. Legal Research.
12. Legal Writing.
13. An Introduction to the Use of Computers in a Law Office.
14. Introduction to Law Office Administration.
15. Informal and Administrative Advocacy.
"There is excellent balance of theoretical and practical content. The textbook I used did not have enough practical content and that was the reason I stopped using it. This book is an excellent reference resource in addition to being an excellent textbook. The appendixes are awesome, especially appendix B (Paralegal Associations, Bar Associations that Allow Paralegal Membership, and Related Organizations)which is an excellent reference tool for paralegal students. I emphasize legal research and legal writing in all four of my classes, and the research and writing sections of this book are excellent. It is challenging to teach the skills of legal research and writing to my web students because I cannot take them to the university law library, as I do with my traditional classroom students. This book's sections on legal research and writing are so well organized easy to understand that even distance-learning students can use it to independently practice those skill sets. Each chapter summary really captures the most important aspects of the preceding chapter, and the review questions at the end of each chapter further focuses the reader with regard to the most important chapter content. The exhibits are also awesome – especially exhibit 2.3 (General Observations about Paralegal Work in Different Kinds of Law Offices)."
"Statsky's text provides essential vocabulary, but focuses more on understanding concepts behind the vocabulary and learning critical-thinking skills. Statsky also provides a lesser, more appropriate, level of information about a much broader range of legal specialties than Currier & Eimermann. Statsky's tone is much more readable and encourages learning over memorizing. The "'Assignments"' are fantastic and can be easily be developed further by instructors. Examples are numerous and make the material much easier to understand. I love the emphasis on practical skills and the paralegal's role in everything."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
The Instructor Companion Website include a an Instructor's Manual with sample syllabus, curriculum planning and class ideas, Computerized Test Bank in Cognero and customizable PowerPoint® presentations.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want. Start right away! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed. Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop – anywhere with Internet access. What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multi-language support, an equation editor and unlimited metadata help ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.
Introduction to Paralegalism: Perspectives, Problems and Skills
Master the hands-on skills you'll need to succeed in a modern law office with INTRODUCTION TO PARALEGALISM, 8e. Ten critical skills are covered in the book: identifying legal issues, breaking rules into elements,applying rules to facts interviewing clients, investigating facts, digesting discovery documents, providing litigation assistance, researching the law, drafting documents, and representing clients at administrative agencies where authorized by law.Packed with real-life insights and real-world examples,the text helps you understand the ethical guidelines that lawyers and paralegals must follow and covers the efforts underway to regulate the profession in legislatures, courts, bar associations, and paralegal associations.