Request for consultation
Introduction to Law has always maintained its primary objective of introducing students from a variety of courses of study to relevant legal principles and terminology. Each edition, including this new fifth edition, incorporates many of the newest cases and contemporary topics in the law. This is integrated with long standing legal principles that create the foundation of the American legal system. The book begins by providing a detailed look at how and why the U.S. system of government is organized in its present state. This is followed by chapters that address each of the primary substantive areas of law. Chapters include applications of the legal principles with discussion points, realistic assignments, and ethical considerations specific to the subject matter of the particular chapter. In addition to illustrations, there are actual judicial opinions that have been edited to a level easy to read and understand by the beginning student. Because of the impact of the legal system on virtually every aspect of American life and business, Introduction to Law is a means to expose all students to the way their particular profession may be affected by the legal system.
- Includes a new CD-ROM with additional exercises
- A variety of current topics in the law are addressed such as same sex marriage, changes in the bankruptcy code, and rights to privacy
- New assignments, cases, and applications/discussion points reflect the most current developments in the law
- Current edited cases provide real examples of how the law is evolving
- Includes Internet assignments that facilitate the development of Internet research skills
- Realistic examples with discussion points facilitate development of critical thinking skills
- Assignments based on actual situations allow assessment of the student’s understanding of the principles as they are applied in practice
- Ethical circumstances allow the student to see how one circumstance can produce not only legal, but ethical issues that can in turn impact the future of the professional involved
- A “news” article begins each chapter to help generate student interest
- Some chapters have been rearranged to present the information in an order more commonly used in the traditional course
Chapter 2: The Courts.
Chapter 3: Legislation.
Chapter 4: The Executive Branch and Administrative Authority.
Chapter 5: The Legal Professional.
Chapter 6: The Law of Ethics.
Chapter 7: Substantive and Procedural Issues.
Chapter 8: Jurisdiction.
Chapter 9: The Law of Contracts.
Chapter 10: Property Law.
Chapter 11: Torts.
Chapter 12: The Law of Business Organizations.
Chapter 13: Estates and Probate.
Chapter 14: Criminal Law.
Chapter 15: Criminal Procedure.
Chapter 16: The Law of Domestic Relations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Serves as an instructional resources and provides chapter outlines, lecture keys, assignments answer key, review questions answer key, application points for discussion answer key, case briefs, test bank, and test bank answer key. Available via www.cengage.com/community/paralegal.
The Instructor Resources CD-Rom includes: Instructor's Manual, Computerized Testbank in ExamView, and Customizable PowerPoint ™ Presentations.
Paralegal CourseMate Instant Access Code
CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
WebTutor™ on Angel Instant Access Code
Paralegal CourseMate Instant Access Code
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards Instant Access
Flash cards are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.