Request for consultation
INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH CARE, 3E provides learners with an easy-to-read introduction to the foundational skills necessary for a range of health care professions. This redesigned and updated new edition offers a comprehensive but introductory survey of basic clinical health care skills for learners entering health care programs or for those that think they may be interested in pursuing a career in health care. Core competencies shared by all health care professions such as communication, infection control, and professionalism are provided to expose learners to the reality of practice. This book emphasizes developing critical thinking skills through a five-step problem solving model that teaches how to assess a situation, consider alternatives, choose an appropriate alternative, evaluate the results, and revise as needed. This resource demonstrates how to think like a health care professional and is a terrific first step towards a rewarding career.
- NEW StudyWARE™ Connection feature directs you to anatomy and pathology animations, math content, health-related and career skills videos, interactive games, and quizzes on the CD-ROM.
- NEW Workbook Practice feature directs you to additional learning tools in the workbook including practice questions, image labeling, critical thinking scenarios, and skill assessment checklists.
- Update web-based activities, such as promoting research on professional organizations for students.
- Increased discussion of electronic health records and HIPAA.
- Expanded information about hepatitis, HIV, tuberculosis, MRSA as well as new information about swine flu.
- Thinking It Through feature encourages you to problem-solve workplace examples using principles covered in the chapter.
- Self-Assessment Application Exercises allow you to integrate major concepts and confirm their comprehension of the material.
- Includes topics not seen in other introductory books such as lifestyle management, lifelong learning, documentation, cost control, performance improvement, and customer service.
1. Your Career in Health Care.
2. Current Health Care Systems and Trends.
3. Ethical and Legal Responsibilities.
Unit II: THE LANGUAGE OF HEALTHCARE.
4. Medical Terminology.
5. Medical Math.
Unit III: THE HUMAN BODY.
6. Organization of the Human Body.
7. Structure and Function of the Human Body.
8. Growth and Development.
Unit IV: PERSONAL AND WORKPLACE SAFETY.
9. Body Mechanics.
10. Infection Control.
11. Environmental Safety.
Unit V: BEHAVIORS FOR SUCCESS.
12. Lifestyle Management.
14. Lifelong Learning.
Unit VI: COMMUNICATION IN THE HEALTH CARE SETTING.
15. The Patient as an Individual.
16. The Communication Process.
17. Written Communication.
18. Computers and Technology in Health Care.
19. Documentation and Medical Records.
Unit VII: HEALTH CARE SKILLS.
20. Physical Assessment.
21. Emergency Procedures.
Unit VIII: BUSINESS OF CARING.
22. Controlling Health Care Costs.
23. Performance Improvement and Customer Service.
Unit IX: SECURING AND MAINTAINING EMPLOYMENT.
24. Job Leads and the Resume.
25. Interview, Portfolio, and Application.
26. Successful Employment Strategies.
Appendix 1 Health Care Professional Organizations.
Appendix 2 Useful Spanish Expressions for Health Care Professionals.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access a test bank powered by Cognero®, Power Point® presentations, suggested answers to “Thinking It Through” and “Application Exercises,” and answers to review questions found in the textbook, answers to workbook exercises, and the Instructor’s Manual with suggestions for class activities and procedure check-off forms for evaluating skills.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including Power Point® slides, animations and videos.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is design to provide students with additional practice. A variety of questions and exercises are included to help reinforce in different ways the material students have learned. Types of questions and exercises include defining terms, matching, identification, true/false, true/false rewrite, multiple choice, completion, ordering, and labeling. Additionally, each chapter includes two critical-thinking scenarios to encourage students to think about and apply concepts learned in the chapter. Procedure checklists are also included to help students assess their mastery of the basic hands-on skills included in the text.
The student workbook is design to provide you with additional practice. A variety of questions and exercises are included to help reinforce in different ways the material you have learned. Types of questions and exercises included in the workbook include defining terms, matching, identification, true/false, true/false rewrite, multiple choice, completion, ordering, and labeling. Additionally, each chapter includes two critical-thinking scenarios to encourage you to think about and apply concepts learned in the chapter. Procedure checklists are also included to help you assess your mastery of the basic hands-on skills included in the text.