Request for consultation
INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH CARE, Fourth Edition, provides an easy-to-read introduction to the foundational skills necessary for a range of health care professions. This trusted text offers a comprehensive, yet highly accessible survey of both soft skills and basic clinical skills for those entering health care training programs or considering a career in health care. To prepare readers for the realities of modern practice, the authors emphasize core competencies required by all health care professions, including communication, infection control, and professionalism. The text features a strong focus on developing critical thinking skills ("thinking like a health care professional") through a five-step problem-solving model that includes assessing a situation, considering alternatives, choosing an appropriate alternative, evaluating the results, and revising as needed. This unique approach makes INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH CARE, Fourth Edition, an ideal resource to help readers transition from simple memorization to effective application of professional skills in a real-world setting.
- The Fourth Edition includes a new first aid quick reference, with a list of procedures featured in the text and an index of pages where they are covered, making it easy for readers to find relevant information quickly.
- Current health care challenges, such as the increasing incidence of Alzheimer's disease and continuing escalating costs of health care, have been added, along with the implications for future health care professionals.
- A new “Infection Control Content at a Glance” feature now appears in the front matter, providing a convenient reference for readers to consult when learning or reviewing this important material.
- The authors have added a Vital Signs Reference section to the opening material, enabling readers to locate information of interest throughout the text.
- An updated student workbook is available to accompany the Fourth Edition, with information and exercises aligned to chapter contents.
- Designed to equip readers for success in the classroom as well as professional careers, the text covers behaviors that will benefit individuals both in school and on the job, learning styles and study tips, the challenges of dealing with adult responsibilities while in school, and effective lifestyle management (staying healthy, managing time, and handling stress).
- Each chapter features multiple charts and feature boxes that summarize or expand on the core material, allowing readers to quickly locate needed information, identify key concepts, and review for assignments or exams.
- “Thinking It Through” features help hone critical-thinking and problem-solving skills by encouraging readers to apply key concepts from the chapter to address realistic workplace scenarios.
- “Suggested Learning Activities” and problem-solving practice features are presented in the end-of-chapter material to give readers opportunities to master key concepts through hands-on application.
- Each chapter opens with an engaging “The Case Of” feature presenting a relevant real-world practice example, and application exercises at the end of each chapter refer back to these opening examples to reinforce learning.
- Drawing on decades of professional experience in clinical and classroom settings, the authors provide valuable insights on vital topics often excluded from introductory books, including lifestyle management, lifelong learning, documentation, cost control, performance improvement, and customer service.
1. Your Career in Health Care.
2. Current Health Care Systems and Trends.
3. Ethical and Legal Responsibilities.
Part II: THE LANGUAGE OF HEALTHCARE.
4. Medical Terminology.
5. Medical Math.
Part III: THE HUMAN BODY.
6. Organization of the Human Body.
7. Structure and Function of the Human Body.
8. Growth and Development.
Part IV: PERSONAL AND WORKPLACE SAFETY.
9. Body Mechanics.
10. Infection Control.
11. Environmental Safety.
Part V: BEHAVIORS FOR SUCCESS.
12. Lifestyle Management.
14. Lifelong Learning.
Part VI: COMMUNICATION IN THE HEALTH CARE SETTING.
15. The Patient as an Individual.
16. The Communication Process.
17. Written Communication.
18. Computers and Technology in Health Care.
19. Documentation and Medical Records.
Part VII: HEALTH CARE SKILLS.
20. Physical Assessment.
21. Emergency Procedures.
Part VIII: BUSINESS OF CARING.
22. Controlling Health Care Costs.
23. Performance Improvement and Customer Service.
Part IX: SECURING AND MAINTAINING EMPLOYMENT.
24. Job Leads and the Résumé.
25. Interview, Portfolio, and Application.
26. Successful Employment Strategies.
Appendix 1: Health Care Professional Organizations.
Appendix 2: Useful Spanish Expressions for Health Care Professionals.
“I am impressed with this book’s content and I enjoyed completing the review. It contains an easy-to-read foundation that flows very easily when read. This text is very comprehensive and can offer a wonderful learning experience for learners entering health care programs”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access a test bank powered by Cognero®, Power Point® presentations, suggested answers to “Thinking It Through” and “Application Exercises,” and answers to review questions found in the textbook, answers to workbook exercises, and the Instructor’s Manual with suggestions for class activities and procedure check-off forms for evaluating skills.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including Power Point® slides, animations and videos.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is design to provide students with additional practice. A variety of questions and exercises are included to help reinforce in different ways the material students have learned. Types of questions and exercises include defining terms, matching, identification, true/false, true/false rewrite, multiple choice, completion, ordering, and labeling. Additionally, each chapter includes two critical-thinking scenarios to encourage students to think about and apply concepts learned in the chapter. Procedure checklists are also included to help students assess their mastery of the basic hands-on skills included in the text.
The student workbook is design to provide you with additional practice. A variety of questions and exercises are included to help reinforce in different ways the material you have learned. Types of questions and exercises included in the workbook include defining terms, matching, identification, true/false, true/false rewrite, multiple choice, completion, ordering, and labeling. Additionally, each chapter includes two critical-thinking scenarios to encourage you to think about and apply concepts learned in the chapter. Procedure checklists are also included to help you assess your mastery of the basic hands-on skills included in the text.