Request for consultation
This bestselling text continues to lead the way with a strong focus on current issues, pedagogically rich framework, wide variety of medical and biological applications, visually dynamic art program, and exceptionally strong and varied end-of-chapter problems. Revised and updated throughout, the eleventh edition now includes new biochemistry content, new Chemical Connections essays, new and revised problems, and more. Most end of chapter problems are now available in the OWLv2 online learning system. - See more at: http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?Ntt=bettelheim|32055039717924713418311458721577017661&N=16&Ntk=APG%7CP_EPI&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial#Overview
- The most powerful online learning solution for chemistry is better than ever. OWLv2 now has more flexible student and instructor functionality, new personalized study tools, enhanced integration with learning management systems, and improved analytics. For this course, OWLv2 also includes Quick Prep, an online short course to review key chemistry concepts and essential skills, hundreds of new interactive end-of-chapter questions from the text, and new Adaptive Study Plans. In addition, Tutors, Visualizations and Simulations have been converted from Flash to HTML, allowing for easier navigation and streamlined grading.
- Features to highlight: Updated and new Chemical Connection boxes featuring the latest hot topics in general, organic and biochemistry.
- New Challenge Problems--these problems test understanding of important concepts by building on material presented in earlier chapters. For example in chapter 4 the challenge problems draw of material introduced in chapters 1-4.
- General Chemistry: Chapter 1--Emphasis on solving healthcare application conversion problems related to a clinical setting. Chapter 4, Chemical Reactions, introduces the various intricacies in writing and balancing chemical reactions before stoichiometry is introduced. This chapter includes the How To box, How to Balance a Chemical Equation, which illustrates a step-by-step method for balancing an equation. Twenty-three new challenge problems were added.
- Expanded the list of common organic functional groups to include amides and presented a schematic of a tripeptide to show the importance of amide bonds in the structure of polypeptides and proteins. Expanded the discussion of the reactions of phenols to include the oxidation of phenols to quinones and the use of the hydroquinone to quinone interconversion in black-and-white photography and continuing with role of Coenzyme Q (ubiquinone) in the respiratory chain as a carrier of electrons and concluding with the structure of vitamin K and its role in blood clotting.
- Chapter Summaries: At the end of each chapter, restated key questions are followed by summary paragraphs that highlight the concepts associated with the questions.
- OWLv2 is the most trusted online learning solution for chemistry. Featuring chemist-developed content, OWLv2 is the only system designed to elevate thinking through Mastery Learning, allowing students to work at their own pace until they understand each concept and skill. Each time a student tries a problem, OWLv2 changes the, chemistry, values, and sometimes even the wording of the question to ensure students are learning the concepts and not cheating the system. With detailed, instant feedback and interactive learning resources, students get the help they need when they need it. Now with improved student and instructor tools and greater functionality, OWLv2 is more robust than ever. Discover the power of OWLv2 and take learning to a higher level.
- Problem-Solving Strategies: To help students organize the information to solve a problem, each chapter example includes a description of the strategy used to arrive at the solution.
- Visual Impact: Many illustrations have heightened pedagogical impact. Figures such as Figures 6.4 (Henry’s Law) and 6.11 (electrolytic conductance) show the microscopic and macroscopic aspects of a topic under discussion.
- Chemical Connections: More than 150 essays with photos describe applications of chemical concepts presented in the text, linking the chemistry to their real uses. In addition, application boxes cover diverse topics such as diseases, drugs, and biochemical pathways.
3. Chemical Bonds.
4. Chemical Reactions.
5. Gases, Liquids, and Solids.
6. Solutions and Colloids.
7. Reaction Rates and Chemical Equilibrium.
8. Acids and Bases.
9. Nuclear Chemistry.
10. Organic Chemistry.
12. Alkenes and Alkynes.
13. Benzene and Its Derivatives.
14. Alcohols, Ethers, and Thiols.
15. Chirality: The Handedness of Molecules.
17. Aldehydes and Ketones.
18. Carboxylic Acids.
19. Carboxylic Anhydrides, Esters, and Amides.
24. Chemical Communications: Neurotransmitters and Hormones.
25. Nucleotides, Nucleic Acids, and Heredity.
26. Gene Expression and Protein Synthesis.
27. Bioenergetics: How the Body Converts Food to Energy.
28. Specific Catabolic Pathways: Carbohydrate, Lipid, and Protein Metabolism.
29. Biosynthetic Pathways.
32. Body Fluids.
Appendix 1. Exponential Notation.
Appendix 2. Significant Figures.
Answers to In-Text and Odd-Numbered End-of-Chapter Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Resource Site: Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Online Instructor's Manual
This manual will help instructors in grading the answers to questions and in assessing the range of experimental results obtained by students. The Instructor's Manual also contains important notes for students and details on how to handle the disposal of waste chemicals. Available on the Instructor Companion Site.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
This bestselling text continues to lead the way with a strong focus on current issues, pedagogically rich framework, wide variety of medical and biological applications, visually dynamic art program, and exceptionally strong and varied end-of-chapter problems. Revised and updated throughout, the eleventh edition now includes new biochemistry content, new Chemical Connections essays, new and revised problems, and more. Most end of chapter problems are now available in the OWLv2 online learning system. - See more at: http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?Ntt=bettelheim
Student Solutions Manual
Student Solutions Manual
Master problem-solving and prepare for exams using the complete worked-out solutions to all in-text and odd-numbered end-of-chapter questions provided in this manual.