Request for consultation
Now in full-color, INTRODUCTION TO FOOD SCIENCE AND FOOD SYSTEMS, 2nd Edition explores the foundations of the food industry, from nutrition and chemistry to processing and safety, and delves into some of the most pressing foodborne issues of our day. Discussions of current topics and trends center on genetically engineered foods, environmental concerns and sustainability, food needs of the world, the impacts of food on health, and more. Designed with future agricultural professionals in mind, INTRODUCTION TO FOOD SCIENCE AND FOOD SYSTEMS, 2nd Edition engages students with colorful photos, charts, graphs and illustrations, and tests their understanding of concepts with practical, hands-on activities in math, science, and other ag-related areas. Chapter content also correlates with National Agricultural Education Standards and FFA Career Development Events (CDEs) to prepare students for meaningful careers in the critically important agriscience industry.
- Current Trends. Updated information and new chapters include timely discussions on the food system, sustainability, food and health, genetically engineered foods, and a number of significant industry trends.
- Engaging Color. The all-new, full-color design features photos, charts, graphs, and illustrations to give students a vivid perspective of food production and process techniques.
- Reinforced Learning. Chapters and other content meet all required National Agricultural Education Standards, while “Math and Science Connection” activities reinforce the quantitative skills students need for success on the job.
- Career Focused. Chapters align with the FFA’s Career Development Events (CDE) whenever possible to help future agricultural professionals focus on and develop the most important job skills.
- Extra Resources. Website links, chemistry reviews, reference tables, and other valuable resources in the chapters and appendices tempt students to sample and explore food industry topics at deeper levels.
- Accessible Presentation. Divided into four sections, the text explores concepts in a logical progression, and includes examples and other meaningful context to keep students focused and involved.
- Practical Focus. Emphasizing application throughout, the text integrates “Math and Science Connection” activities with the readings, and concludes each chapter with hands-on “Student Activities” designed to develop critical skills.
- Bountiful Resources. Chapters enticed students with boxed articles that dish up food industry tidbits, historical insights, and emerging food trends, while additional resources at the end of every chapter inspire students to learn more about specific topics.
- All-New Color. The text’s revised, full-color design features photos, charts, graphs, and illustrations that help students visualize food production and process techniques--and a whole world of agricultural career possibilities!
Section 1: INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND.
1. Overview of Food Science.
2. Food System and Sustainability.
3. Chemistry of Foods.
4. Nutrition and Digestion.
5. Food Composition.
6. Quality Factors in Foods.
7. Unit Operations in Food Processing.
8. Food Deterioration.
Section 2: PRESERVATION.
11. Drying and Dehydration.
12. Radiant and Electrical Energy.
13. Fermentation, Microorganisms, and Biotechnology.
14. Food Chemistry.
Section 3: FOODS AND FOOD PRODUCTS.
18. Poultry and Eggs.
19. Fish and Shellfish.
20. Cereal Grains, Legumes, and Oilseeds.
21. Fruits and Vegetables.
22. Fats and Oils.
23. Candies and Confectionary.
Section 4: RELATED ISSUES.
25. Environmental Concerns and Processing.
26. Food Safety.
27. Regulations and Labeling.
28. World Food Needs.
29. Food and Health.
30. Careers in Food Science.
Appendix A: Chemistry Review.
Appendix B: Reference Tables.
Appendix C: Harvesting and Storing Fruits, Nuts, and Vegetables.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Website
Log on to this password-protected site to access a wide range of resources such as electronic versions of the instructor's manual, eLectures, lesson plans and PowerPoint® slides that coordinate with book chapters, extra test questions, answers to end-of-chapter review questions, and a full-color image gallery. You also get access to Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, a flexible online system that provides chapter-by-chapter quizzes. For these instructor-specific resources, please visit CengageBrain.com at http://login.cengage.com and follow the prompts for obtaining access this secure site.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere. Include your own favorite test questions, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.