Request for consultation
INTRODUCTION TO COUNSELING, Seventh Edition provides students with a comprehensive overview of the counseling profession while encouraging them to examine the day-to-day realities of being a counselor and their motivation for choosing the profession. Coverage includes information on what counseling is, as well as its history, theoretical orientations, applications, and professional issues. As students become engaged in the process of learning and applying counseling concepts, they get an unparalleled look at what their professional futures may hold. In addition, "Voices from the Field" sections in each chapter offer further insight into the real challenges faced by experienced practitioners counselors, as well as the ways those challenges were resolved. A new set of videos available on DVD bring many of these topics to life.
- REAL WORLD RELEVANCE. "Voices from the Field" are brought to life with a new DVD that features interviews with practitioners and students.
- The chapter on insight-oriented theories has been significantly expanded to include narrative and postmodern counseling.
- The chapter on Integrating Theory and Counseling Skills has a new section indicating which approaches are receiving research support for treating specific mental health disorders.
- The chapter on Career Counseling now includes a section we have called, Counseling in Economic Hard Times.
- PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS. Case examples, personal accounts, and practical applications illustrate the text concepts and give students a deeper understanding of the material.
- HANDS-ON EXERCISES. Experiential exercises at the end of each chapter provide students with hands-on learning activities that get them involved in learning about the counseling process.
- NEW DIRECTIONS. "The Future is Now: New Issues in Counseling" sections highlight new directions in the field of counseling such as the use of the Internet and evidence-based practice.
- COUNSELING IN ACTION. "Voices from the Field" sections offer unflinching accounts of the realities of doing counseling – including both the frustrations and the joys – for a balanced understanding of professional practice.
- RELEVANT READINGS. Readings include fiction, nonfiction, films, traditional counseling, and social science literature and cover current information on treating addictions, Internet addictions, psychopharmacology, spiritual/transpersonal counseling, and ethics.
1. What Counseling Is and How It Works.
2. Foundations of Counselors
3. Settings for Counseling.
4. The Therapeutic Relationship.
PART II. COUNSELING APPROACHES.
5. Insight-Oriented Approaches.
6. Action-Oriented Approaches.
7. Integrating Theory and Counseling Skills.
8. Assessment, Testing, and the Diagnostic Process.
PART III. COUNSELING APPLICATIONS.
9. Group Counseling.
10. Marital, Family, and Sex Counseling.
11. Career Counseling.
12. Addictions Counseling and Psychopharmacology.
13. Counseling Diverse Clients.
PART IV. PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE.
14. Ethical and Legal Issues.
15. Toward Closure: Advice for the Passionately Committed Counseling Student.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The instructor's resource manual (IRM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning. For assessment support this manual also includes a test bank featuring multiple choice, matching, and essay questions.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook (the MindTap™ Reader, which allows students to make notes, highlight text, and find definitions right from the page), quizzes, flashcards, and videos. Students and instructors can also gain access to the Helping Professions Learning Center, a centralized online resource to help build students' skills and gain even more confidence and familiarity with the principles that govern the life of the helping professional. For instructors, CourseMate includes Engagement Tracker--a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course. The accompanying instructor website offers access to password-protected resources such as an electronic version of the instructor's manual and PowerPoint® slides.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access an integrated eBook (the MindTap™ Reader, which allows you to make notes, highlight text, and find definitions right from the page) and chapter-specific learning tools including flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. You can also gain access to the Helping Professions Learning Center, a centralized online resource to help build your skills and gain more confidence and familiarity with the principles that govern the life of the helping professional. Go to CengageBrain.com.