Request for consultation
Highly praised for its exceptional clarity, technical accuracy, and useful examples, Weiers' INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS STATISTICS, Seventh Edition, introduces fundamental statistical concepts with an engaging, conversational presentation and a strong emphasis on the practical relevance of course material to students' lives and careers. The text's outstanding illustrations, friendly language, non-technical terminology, and current examples involving real-world business and personal settings will capture students' interest and prepare them for success from day one. Continuing cases, contemporary business applications, and more than 300 new or revised exercises and problems reflect important trends and the latest developments in today's dynamic business environment—all with an accuracy you and your students can trust.
- CengageNOW™ is a fully integrated, innovative online teaching and learning system that combines the best of current technology to help you efficiently plan your business statistics course, manage and grade assignments automatically, teach with built-in technology support, reinforce student comprehension with personalized learning paths, and create exams using a customized algorithmic test bank.
- The new edition includes updated coverage of Six Sigma to prepare students to use statistical results successfully in the business world with the latest business applications. Coverage includes a description of the term, as well as its basis (plus/minus three standard deviations from the mean), philosophy, and popularity.
- The Seventh Edition has been thoroughly updated to feature more than 300 new or revised exercises, giving students a powerful opportunity to apply their knowledge and hone their skills by exploring the use of statistics in current, relevant business scenarios.
- An updated set of 82 computer solutions, with printouts and step-by-step instructions for Minitab® 16 and Microsoft® Excel® 2010, now makes it easier than ever to design and use assignments incorporating Minitab and Excel.
- Approximately 450 datasets for section, chapter, and case exercises provide you with abundant options for course assignments, making it easy to customize exercises to suit your course content, teaching preferences, or students’ needs and interests.
- Discussions of data collection and research methods early in the book clearly frame and justify the statistical methodology presented, giving students a strong understanding of these important concepts.
- A continuing, integrated case (the Thorndike Sports Equipment Company) provides an interesting, in-depth exploration of statistics in action, helping students apply course concepts to complex, realistic business scenarios, and allowing them to develop a strong appreciation for the value of statistics in guiding key business decisions throughout all parts of an organization.
- Strategically placed throughout the text in areas where students often need help, 21 Java applets from Gary McClelland's award-winning Seeing Statistics series are specifically adapted to help students visualize difficult statistical concepts in action. Three to five accompanying exercises per applet are ideal for individual practice or classroom participation.
- Microsoft® Excel® and Minitab® coverage, including step-by-step instructions and detailed output, is integrated throughout the text to demonstrate how these widely used spreadsheet and statistics applications can solve key business problems.
- The text emphasizes modern, practical business applications of statistics, including familiarizing students with the role of statistics in total quality management and business and survey research, as well as devoting significant coverage to ethical issues in statistical analysis and reporting.
1. A Preview of Business Statistics.
2. Visual Description of Data.
3. Statistical Description of Data.
4. Data Collection and Sampling Methods.
Part II: PROBABILITY.
5. Probability: Review of Basic Concepts.
6. Discrete Probability Distributions.
7. Continuous Probability Distributions.
Part III: SAMPLING DISTRIBUTIONS AND ESTIMATION.
8. Sampling Distributions.
9. Estimation from Sample Data.
Part IV: HYPOTHESIS TESTING.
10. Hypothesis Tests Involving a Sample Mean or Proportion.
11. Hypothesis Tests Involving Two Sample Means or Proportions.
12. Analysis of Variance Tests.
13. Chi-Square Applications.
14. Nonparametric Methods.
Part V: REGRESSION, MODEL BUILDING, AND TIME SERIES.
15. Simple Linear Regression and Correlation.
16. Multiple Regression and Correlation.
17. Model Building.
18. Models for Time Series and Forecasting.
Part VI: SPECIAL TOPICS.
19. Decision Theory.
20. Total Quality Management.
21. Ethics in Statistical Analysis and Reporting (online chapter).
Appendix A: Statistical Tables.
Appendix B: Selected Answers.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This site gives you access to a rich array of teaching and learning resources to help you plan, manage, effectively teach, and efficiently grade assignments in your business statistics course. Chapter-by-chapter outlines, online tutorial quizzes, reviews, links to other critical business statistics sites, and more will help focus student learning. You can also download password-protected teaching resources whenever you need them to support your course.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Place all the resources you need for a successful course at your fingertips with this all-in-one-source for planning, teaching, grading, and assessing student understanding and progress. This CD-ROM includes the Solutions Manual, Test Bank in Microsoft® Word and ExamView®, PowerPoint® presentation slides, and award-winning Seeing Statistics Java applets.
Premium Web Site, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Premium Web Site, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Designed to help you succeed in your business statistics course, the premium website contains many useful student resources including video tutorials, interactive quizzing, web links, PowerPoint presentations, appendices, datasets, a glossary, and more.