Request for consultation
INTRODUCTION TO BIOTECHNOLOGY: AN AGRICULTURAL REVOLUTION offers a thorough introduction to biotechnology and the ways it has revolutionized modern agriculture. This newly updated text provides a solid grounding in core biotechnology concepts, as well as information on cutting-edge science and technology and their applications in real-world agriculture, medicine, and health care. The text's in-depth coverage includes essential topics such as cell functions, genetics, biotechnology applications, and biotech careers, as well as a thoughtful and balanced examination of controversial issues such as genetic engineering, genetically modified organisms, cloning, and potential dangers to humans and the environment. Building on the text's proven strengths, the Second Edition features a stronger emphasis on the science and math of biotechnology, updated content to reflect the latest trends and technology, and new lab exercises to reinforce key concepts and help students master the tools and techniques they will need to succeed in biotech careers.
- The Second Edition features a stronger emphasis on the math and science of biotechnology and their connections to agricultural applications, including numerous new lab exercises that closely correlate to chapter content to help students apply their knowledge and develop practical, hands-on skills.
- Throughout the text, references to biotechnology lab equipment and techniques enable students to build familiarity with the methods and materials they are likely to use in biotech or agribusiness careers.
- Each chapter now features challenging new questions and quizzes to help students assess and reinforce their own learning and prepare more effectively for class assignments and exams.
- New Internet exercises at the conclusion of each chapter encourage students to explore online resources and information to build on what they have learned and apply their knowledge in interesting ways.
- In addition to updated content throughout the text to reflect the latest industry trends and current technology, the Second Edition features numerous new photos to add visual appeal and enhance learning by illustrating key concepts in vivid and memorable ways.
- This thorough, wide-ranging text provides a detailed historical review of biotechnical development and important milestones in agriculture, giving students a broad perspective to inform their study of modern biotechnology and agribusiness.
- The author draws on his considerable experience in industry and education to present a thoughtful and balanced exploration of both the benefits and controversies surrounding the impact of biotechnology on agriculture and other sciences.
- This richly illustrated, full-color text includes discussion of cutting-edge topics such as stem cell research, genetic research using transgenic animals, and human genome mapping, covering material students will find interesting and relevant today and useful as they move on to college programs or careers in biotechnology.
- Each chapter includes a variety of proven learning tools, including clearly outlined learning objectives to guide reading, activities to apply and extend learning, and varied questions (including true/false, fill-in-the-blank, and short answer/discussion) to evaluate student comprehension.
1. The Phenomena of Biotechnology.
2. The Historical Development of Biotechnology.
3. The Principles of Scientific Research.
4. Cells: The Foundation of Life.
5. The Principles of Gene Transfer.
6. Producing Genetically Modified Organisms.
7. Animal Cloning.
8. Plant Cloning.
9. Biotechnology in Plant Science.
10. Biotechnology in Animal Reproduction.
11. Biotechnology in Medicine.
12. Biotechnology in the Food Industry.
13. Biotechnology in Ecology.
14. Consumer Concerns about Biotechnology.
15. Ethical Issues and Biotechnology.
16. Careers in Biotechnology.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The instructor's Manual serves as an instructional resource and provides teaching tips or guidelines, essay questions, answers to review and test questions, key objectives, glossary, appendices and exercises for content reinforcement.
The ClassMaster CD-ROM provides the instructor with valuable resources to simplify the planning and implementation of the instructional program. It includes instructor slides in PowerPoint, computerized test bank, Image Library, Student worksheets, a correlation guide for the Delmar Agriscience DVD Series, and a pdf of the Instructor's Guide.
The Laboratory Manual is a valuable tool designed to enhance your lab experience and give you an opportunity to experience hands-on the materials covered in the core text. Lab activities, objectives, materials lists, step-by-step procedures, illustrations, and review questions are found in the Lab Manual.