Request for consultation
Equip your students with Internet Research knowledge using this practical user-friendly book from the Illustrated Series. New edition features vastly expanded coverage of social media search, with an entire unit now dedicated to the topic. Explores how to use social media meta search engines to find information from multiple social media sites simultaneously. Additional emphasis on evaluating the value, veracity, and reliability of content found online. Continued attention to Boolean search and the use of other advanced search operators to maximize the efficacy of Internet research. Streamlined coverage of specialty searches and the use of subject directories, using state-of-the-art search techniques.
- Coverage of social media search has been vastly expanded, with an entire unit now dedicated to the topic. This unit explains how to effectively and efficiently find content on social networks (e.g., LinkedIn), blogs, microblogs (e.g., Twitter), video and photo sharing sites (e.g., YouTube and Flickr, respectively), social news sites (e.g., Digg), article directories (EzineArticles), and question-and-answer (Q&A) sites (e.g., Answers.com).
- The prominence of methods for evaluating the value, veracity, and reliability of content found online have been expanded and enhanced. Students learn approaches to quickly analyze a web page's usefulness and authority. As more and more of the information on the web is stored in databases, coverage of specialty searches and the use of subject directories to uncover this content has been streamlined to present state-of-art search techniques
- Extensive attention continues to be given to Boolean search and the use of other advanced search operators to maximize the efficacy of Internet research.
- Instructions and conceptual framework for using social media meta search engines are provided to find information from multiple social media sites simultaneously, saving both time and effort. For example, SocialMention searches over 80 social media sites at the same time for wide variety content.
- Features the reader-friendly Illustrated Series' two-page spread format, which provides succinct lessons with instructions on the left page and large, full-color screenshots on the right page.
- Makes concepts relevant with end-of-chapter Independent Challenges and Visual Workshops.
- Makes a great reference for future use, thanks to its concise content and streamlined design.
Understanding Internet Search Tools. Creating an Internet Research Strategy. Identifying the Right Keywords. Performing a Basic Search . Adding Keywords. Phrase Searching . Understanding Evaluative Criteria . Evaluating Web Pages. Citing Online Resources.
Unit B: CONSTRUCTING COMPLEX SEARCHES.
Understanding Boolean Operators . Narrowing the Search with the AND Operator. Expanding the Search with the OR Operator. Restricting Queries with the AND NOT Operator. Use Multiple Boolean Operators. Searching with Filters . Combining Boolean Operators and Filters. Using Advanced Search Operators. Using Metasearch Engines.
Unit C: FINDING SPECIALTY INFORMATION.
Understanding Specialty Information. Finding People and Places. Locating Businesses. Searching Periodical Databases. Finding Government Information. Finding Online Reference Sources. Browsing a Subject Guide. Searching a Subject Guide. Using a Specialized Search Engine.
Unit D: SEARCHING THE SOCIAL WEB.
Understanding social media search. Searching social networks. Navigating the blogosphere. Scanning microblogs . Searching video & photo sharing sites. Searching Social News Sites & Article Directories . Finding solutions with Q&A sites. Using Social Media Meta Search Engines.