Request for consultation
The traditional text for the modern student--Pat McKeague's INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA, 9E--is user-friendly for both students and instructors with concise writing, continuous review, and contemporary applications. Retaining its hallmark strengths of clarity and patience in explanation and concept development, this new edition contains new examples, applications, and a closer integration with Enhanced WebAssign. In a course in which many students enter with math anxiety, the author helps students connect mathematics to every day examples through the use of relevant applications and real data. In addition, Enhanced WebAssign, an online homework management system, is fully integrated with the new edition providing interactive, visual learning support with thousands of examples and practice exercises that reinforce the text's pedagogical approach.
- "Preview" boxes provide a glimpse into what topics appear in the chapter and include key words and definitions.
- "Chapter Challenge" problem gives students a scenario and require them to use geographical information to solve it through a series of steps.
- "Ticket to Success" feature requires students to think critically about the section and write a response to the questions as their "ticket into class." This feature encourages students to read the section before coming to class.
- "Moving Toward Success" feature starts each problem set with a motivational quote followed by a few questions to focus the students on their own success. Because good study habits are essential to the success of math students, this feature is prominently displayed prior to each problem set.
- Hundreds of new problems and examples throughout the text include more contemporary applications. Additionally, wherever real data is used, it has been updated to reflect current statistics.
- Each problem set contains a variety of problems, including both skills and applications exercises, and great breadth from easy to challenging. In addition to opening skills based problems (paired and graduated), each problem set contains opportunities to hone analytic skills (asking students to practice estimating), provide more relevance ("Applying the Concepts" questions) and improve their quantitative literacy ("Maintaining your Skills" problems). More challenging critical thinking questions called "Extending the Concepts" are found at the end of the section problem sets.
- Enhanced WebAssign! Easy to Use. Easy to Assign. Easy to Manage. Enhanced WebAssign is a user friendly way to assign, collect, grade, and record homework. Exercises come directly from the text and can be parameterized to ensure that every student has a parallel, but slightly different homework assignment. This complete learning system for students includes text-specific exercises, as well as tutorials, videos, and links to online tutoring, and eBook sections of the text.
- "Getting Ready for the Next Section" exercises are found in every problem set. This grouping of exercises ensures students have the requisite skills to perform the concepts discussed in the next section.
- Found throughout the text, "Using Technology" shows how calculators can be used to enhance learning and help solve problems. These boxes are easily identified and can be highlighted or skipped depending on instructor preference.
- Chapter openers motivate students to learn the topics in each chapter. Each chapter opener illustrates a real-world application of one of the main chapter topics, and most present the information both graphically and numerically.
- Section openers have been freshly redesigned and are linked to specific examples and applications found in the text.
Fundamental Definitions and Notation. Sets and Venn Diagrams.
The Real Numbers. Simple and Compound Inequalities. Arithmetic with Real Numbers. Properties of Real Numbers. Recognizing Patterns.
2. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN ONE VARIABLE.
Linear Equations in One Variable. Formulas. Applications. Linear Inequalities in One Variable. Equations with Absolute Value. Inequalities Involving Absolute Value.
3. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN TWO VARIABLES.
Paired Data and the Rectangular Coordinate System. The Slope of a Line. The Equation of a Line. Linear Inequalities in Two Variables. Introduction to Functions. Function Notation. Algebra and Composition. Variation.
4. SYSTEMS OF LINEAR EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables. Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables. Applications of Linear Systems. Matrix Solutions to Linear Systems. Systems of Linear Inequalities.
5. EXPONENTS AND POLYNOMIALS.
Properties of Exponents. Polynomials, Sums, and Differences. Multiplication of Polynomials. The Greatest Common Factor and Factoring by Grouping. Factoring Trinomials. Special Factoring. Factoring: a General Review. Solving Equations by Factoring.
6. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Basic Properties and Reducing to Lowest Terms. Division of Polynomials and Difference Quotients. Multiplication and Division of Rational Expressions. Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions. Complex Fractions. Equations and Graphs with Rational Expressions. Applications.
7. RATIONAL EXPONENTS AND ROOTS.
Rational Exponents. More Expressions Involving Rational Exponents. Simplified Form for Radicals. Addition and Subtraction of Radical Expressions. Multiplication and Division of Radical Expressions. Equations with Radicals. Complex Numbers.
8. QUADRATIC FUNCTIONS.
Completing the Square. The Quadratic Formula. Additional Items Involving Solutions to Equations. Equations Quadratic in Form. Graphing Parabolas. Quadratic Inequalities.
9. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. The Inverse of a Function. Logarithms are Exponents. Properties of Logarithms.
Common Logarithms and Natural Logarithms. Exponential Equations and Change of Base.
10. CONIC SECTIONS. The Circle. Ellipses and Hyperbolas. Second-Degree Inequalities and Nonlinear Systems.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
This online instructor database offers complete worked solutions to all exercises in the text, allowing you to create customized, secure solutions printouts (in PDF format) matched exactly to the problems you assign in class. For more information, visit www.cengage.com/solutionbuilder.
Complete Solutions Manual
This manual contains complete solutions for all problems in the text.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
The Student Workbook contains all of the assessments, activities, and worksheets from the Instructor's Resource Binder for classroom discussions, in-class activities, and group work.
Student Solutions Manual