Request for consultation
Kaufmann and Schwitters have built this text's reputation on clear and concise exposition, numerous examples, and plentiful problem sets. This traditional text consistently reinforces the following common thread: learn a skill; practice the skill to help solve equations; and then apply what you have learned to solve application problems. This simple, straightforward approach has helped many students grasp and apply fundamental problem-solving skills necessary for future mathematics courses. Algebraic ideas are developed in a logical sequence, and in an easy-to-read manner, without excessive vocabulary and formalism. The open and uncluttered design helps keep students focused on the concepts while minimizing distractions. Problems and examples reference a broad range of topics, as well as career areas such as electronics, mechanics, and health, showing students that mathematics is part of everyday life. The text's resource package--anchored by Enhanced WebAssign®, an online homework management tool--saves instructors time while providing additional help and skill-building practice for students outside of class.
- NEW Study Skill Tips appear at the beginning of each chapter to encourage best study practices throughout the course. A thought-provoking question related to the presented Study Skill Tip encourages students to think more about their current study habits or their past experiences with math.
- NEW section 1.0 has been added to provide as an opportunity for students to review fractions so that they are prepared for the intermediate algebra course. Mastery Sets appear throughout the section to help students gauge how well they know the content presented.
- NEW Sample Problems have been added to the each Objective in the Chapter Summary. Sample Problems provide students an opportunity to try problems similar to the presented Examples for each Objective.
- NEW Apply Your Skill Examples present real-life applications so students can see the relevance of math in everyday life.
- Thoughts Into Words problems are included in every end-of-section problem set. These problems are designed to give students an opportunity to express in written form their thoughts about various mathematical ideas.
- Further Investigations are included in many of the problem sets. These problems offer more challenging exercises and lend themselves to small group work. They also provide the instructor with flexibility in incorporating advanced mathematical topics depending on specific course needs.
- The grid format of the Chapter Summaries makes reviewing fast and easy.
- Chapter Review Problem Sets give students additional practice of previously learned concepts.
- Appearing at the end of the chapter, Chapter Tests provide students with ample preparation and practice for "real" tests.
- Cumulative Review problem sets help students remember skills that were introduced earlier.
- The back of the text provides answers to Chapter Review Problem Sets, Chapter Tests, Cumulative Review Problem Sets, Appendix B Problems, and the odd-numbered homework exercises.
- Kaufmann/Schwitters's straightforward, three-step problem-solving approach is introduced and reinforced throughout the textbook. The steps are: learn the algebraic skill; use the skill to help solve equations; apply the skill to solve the application problem.
- Learning Objectives can be found at the beginning of each section and are mapped to the Problem Sets and the Chapter Summary.
- The authors have written Classroom Examples in both student and instructor editions, with answers appearing only in the Annotated Instructor's Edition, so that students will be able to work through the Classroom Examples with their instructor.
- Made up of predominately true/false questions, a Concept Quiz immediately precedes the problem set in each section and allows students to check their understanding of the mathematical concepts and definitions introduced in the section before moving on to their homework.
- Problem Sets, a focal point of every revision, contain a wide variety of skill-development exercises. Problems have been added, deleted, and reworded based on users' suggestions.
1.0 Review of Fractions. 1.1 Sets, Real Numbers, and Numerical Expressions. 1.2 Operations with Real Numbers. 1.3 Properties of Real Numbers and the Use of Exponents. 1.4 Algebraic Expressions. Chapter 1 Summary. Chapter 1 Review Problem Set. Chapter 1 Test.
2. EQUATIONS, INEQUALITIES, AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
2.1 Solving First-Degree Equations. 2.2 Equations Involving Fractional Forms. 2.3 Equations Involving Decimals and Problem Solving. 2.4 Formulas. 2.5 Inequalities. 2.6 More on Inequalities and Problem Solving. 2.7 Equations and Inequalities Involving Absolute Value. Chapter 2 Summary. Chapter 2 Review Problem Set. Chapter 2 Test. Chapters 1-2 Cumulative Test.
3.1 Polynomials: Sums and Differences. 3.2 Products and Quotients of Monomials. 3.3 Multiplying Polynomials. 3.4 Factoring: Greatest Common Factor and Common Binomial Factor. 3.5 Factoring: Difference of Two Squares and Sum or Difference of Two Cubes. 3.6 Factoring Trinomials. 3.7 Equations and Problem Solving. Chapter 3 Summary. Chapter 3 Review Problem Set. Chapter 3 Test.
4. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS.
4.1 Simplifying Rational Expressions. 4.2 Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions. 4.3 Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions. 4.4 More on Rational Expressions and Complex Fractions. 4.5 Dividing Polynomials. 4.6 Fractional Equations. 4.7 More Fractional Equations and Applications. Chapter 4 Summary. Chapter 4 Review Problem Set. Chapter 4 Test. Chapters 1-4 Cumulative Review Problem Set.
5. EXPONENTS AND RADICALS.
5.1 Using Integers as Exponents. 5.2 Roots and Radicals. 5.3 Combining Radicals and Simplifying Radicals That Contain Variables. 5.4 Products and Quotients Involving Radicals. 5.5 Equations Involving Radicals. 5.6 Merging Exponents and Roots. 5.7 Scientific Notation. Chapter 5 Summary. Chapter 5 Review Problem Set. Chapter 5 Test.
6. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
6.1 Complex Numbers. 6.2 Quadratic Equations. 6.3 Completing the Square. 6.4 Quadratic Formula. 6.5 More Quadratic Equations and Applications. 6.6 Quadratic and Other Nonlinear Inequalities. Chapter 6 Summary. Chapter 6 Review Problem Set. Chapter 6 Test. Chapters 1-6 Cumulative Review Problem Set.
7. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN TWO VARIABLES.
7.1 Rectangular Coordinate System and Linear Equations. 7.2 Linear Inequalities in Two Variables. 7.3 Distance and Slope. 7.4 Determining the Equation of a Line. 7.5 Graphing Nonlinear Equations. Chapter 7 Summary. Chapter 7 Review Problem Set. Chapter 7 Test.
8. CONIC SECTIONS.
8.1 Graphing Parabolas. 8.2 More Parabolas and Some Circles. 8.3 Graphing Ellipses. 8.4 Graphing Hyperbolas. Chapter 8 Summary. Chapter 8 Review Problem Set. Chapter 8 Test. Chapters 1-8 Cumulative Review Problem Set.
9.1 Relations and Functions. 9.2 Functions: Their Graphs and Applications. 9.3 Graphing Made Easy via Transformations. 9.4 Composition of Functions. 9.5 Inverse Functions. 9.6 Direct and Inverse Variations. Chapter 9 Summary. Chapter 9 Review Problem Set. Chapter 9 Test.
10. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS.
10.1 Systems of Two Linear Equations and Linear Inequalities in Two Variables. 10.2 Substitution Method. 10.3 Elimination-by-Addition Method. 10.4 Systems of Three Linear Equations in Three Variables. 10.5 Matrix Approach to Solving Systems. 10.6 Determinants. 10.7 3 X 3 Determinants and Systems of Three Linear Equations in Three Variables. 10.8 Systems Involving Nonlinear Equations. Chapter 10 Summary. Chapter 10 Review Problem Set. Chapter 10 Test. Chapters 1-10 Cumulative Review Problem Set.
11. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMMIC FUNCTIONS.
11.1 Exponents and Exponential Functions. 11.2 Applications of Exponential Functions. 11.3 Logarithms. 11.4 Logarithmic Functions. 11.5 Exponential Equations, Logarithmic Equations, and Problem-Solving. Chapter 11 Summary. Chapter 11 Review Problem Set. Chapter 11 Test. Appendix A Binomial Expansions. Answer Section. Index.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Student Solutions Manual
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Student Solutions Manual