Request for consultation
Wahlen/Jones/Pagach's INTERMEDIATE ACCOUNTING, 2E and CengageNOWv2 address the issue of student confidence in the Intermediate Accounting course like no other product on the market. The print and digital resources help students understand the course rigor and time requirements of the Intermediate course before that first exam, and the CengageNOWv2 Adaptive Study Plan and in-text "Got it?" quick checks keep students on track, building confidence with detailed remediation and thorough explanations that build a pathway to success. All of this is accomplished without sacrificing the book's approachable writing style that uses recognizable, familiar companies such as an ongoing Starbucks case, and examples from familiar companies, such as Coca Cola, Louis Vuitton, and Nestlé. This edition presents the latest information on the new Revenue Recognition Standards. After carefully considering the most effective methods for covering this topic, the authors have incorporated updates throughout the book with special spotlight coverage in Chapter 17.
- NEW FOCUS ON BUILDING STUDENT CONFIDENCE BETTER PREPARES STUDENTS FOR SUCCESS. This edition incorporates a fresh new approach to student readiness based on extensive student and instructor research. Text and electronic resources are designed to counter the consistent challenge of students entering your course unprepared for the volume and intensity of work required for success in intermediate accounting.
- NEW COVERAGE OF THE REVISED REVENUE RECOGNITION STANDARD KEEPS COURSE CONTENT UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS. This edition presents the latest information on new Revenue Recognition Standards. After carefully considering the most effective methods for covering this topic, the authors have incorporated updates throughout the book with special spotlight coverage in Chapter 17.
- NEW CENGAGENOWv2 HELPS CLOSE THE GAP BETWEEN HOMEWORK AND EXAM PERFORMANCE. The new Multi-Panel View enables students to see all the elements of a problem on one screen, making it easier for them to navigate the problem and understand the accounting system. The new Adaptive Feedback responds to students based upon their unique answers and alerts them to the type of error they have made, keeping students checked-in and progressing. The new Blank Sheet of Paper Experience provides a less leading response system for journal entries and financial statements that discourages over-reliance on the system. Visit www.cnowv2demo.cengage.com for more information and an interactive demo.
- NEW "GOT IT?" QUICK CHECK AT THE END OF EACH SECTION ALLOWS STUDENTS TO IMMEDIATELY CHECK THEIR COMPREHENSION OF A TOPIC. A helpful "Got It?" series of questions appears after coverage of each Learning Objective to confirm students understand the material presented and are ready to continue in the chapter. Students have the opportunity to spend additional time reviewing and mastering a concept before moving ahead.
- NEW "REVIEW CENTERS" AT THE END OF EACH CHAPTER SUMMARIZE ALL MAJOR CONCEPTS FROM THE CHAPTER AT A GLANCE. These timely Review Centers condense and summarize review material for each Learning Objective. These review features also present Key Terms and Formulas grouped by Learning Objective for quick review. This at-a-glance resource is ideal in saving time as students find chapter highlights in one consistent place that's easy to locate in each chapter.
- NEW ADAPTIVE STUDY PLAN IN CENGAGENOWV2 PROVIDES A REMEDIATION PATHWAY. The NEW Adaptive Study Plan is an assignable/gradable study center that adapts to each student's unique needs and provides a remediation pathway to keep students progressing. Students first take a chapter-level quiz consisting of randomized questions that cover both conceptual and procedural aspects of the chapter. Next, feedback is provided explaining why the answer is right or wrong. Based on the quiz results, students are provided a remediation path that includes media assets and algorithmic practice problems to help them improve their understanding of the course material. The Adaptive Study Plan is assignable/gradable in CengageNOWv2 and available for self-study and review.
- NEW SHOW ME HOW VIDEOS IN CENGAGENOWV2 HELP CLARIFY CONCEPTS FOR STUDENTS. New Show Me How problem demonstrations provide a step-by-step model of a similar problem. Embedded tips and warnings help students avoid common mistakes and pitfalls, keeping them on track and reducing frustration. Identified by an icon in the text margins, Show Me How videos are linked to assignments in CengageNOWv2 and available for self-study and review.
- STARBUCKS CONTINUING THREAD CASE INTEGRATES ACTUAL FINANCIAL INFORMATION THROUGHOUT THE BOOK. Students are motivated and engaged by the integration of the real financial information and business strategy of Starbucks in discussions and examples throughout this edition. Specific end-of-chapter applications demonstrate how a wide variety of accounting concepts apply to a single company.
- "REAL REPORTS" MOTIVATE READERS TO APPLY CONCEPTS. This unique feature enables students to interact with excerpts from actual annual reports, analyze this information, and apply what they have learned by answering corresponding questions.
- IFRS COVERAGE AND APPLICATIONS CLARIFY THESE GLOBAL STANDARDS. "International Dimension" features illustrate the differences between International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and U.S. GAAP. Accompanying IFRS Applications demonstrate how journal entries and financial statements are prepared under IFRS. When differences are significant, the feature shows side-by-side comparisons of excerpts prepared under both U.S. GAAP and IFRS. End-of-chapter IFRS assignments highlight real company financial statements from international companies, such as Louis Vuitton and Nestlé.
- "LOOKING AHEAD" PREVIEWS SIGNIFICANT INDUSTRY CHANGES ON THE HORIZON. This insightful feature exposes a number of significant changes in the future, including the ongoing convergence between U.S. GAAP and IFRS, proposed changes to the financial statement presentation, and other pending developments.
- CODIFICATION APPLICATIONS PROVIDE A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE. Your students can use THE FASB'S ACCOUNTING STANDARDS CODIFICATION: A USER-FRIENDLY GUIDE as part of this edition's online collection of digital resources. Students learn how to use codification step-by-step. Brief assignments in the Guide and comprehensive assignments in the main book's end-of-chapter materials encourage students to research independently and become familiar with using codification effectively. This resource is available on the companion website.
- NEXT LEVEL REQUIREMENTS ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO MASTER ADVANCED THINKING SKILLS. These requirements within select end-of-chapter questions require students to go beyond the basic understanding of accounting rules and procedures and develop critical-thinking and decision-making skills. Specific open-ended requirements are now converted into fill-in-the-blank questions in CengageNOW™ and are automatically gradable assignments.
- CENGAGENOWv2 helps elevate student thinking with content that addresses each stage of the learning process from motivation to mastery. CengageNOWv2 motivates and prepares students to learn, provides practice opportunities that better prepare students for the exam, and helps students achieve mastery with tools to help them make connections and see the big picture. Visit www.cnowv2demo.cengage.com for more information and an interactive demo.
- CASES AND EXAMPLES PROVIDE SUPERIOR CONTEXT AND ENCOURAGE CRITICAL THINKING. A continuing case featuring Starbucks, while examples from other highly recognizable companies help students understand why accounting information is important. Students also gain a better understanding of the implications accounting information holds for today's financial statement users.
1. The Demand for and Supply of Financial Accounting Information.
2. Financial Reporting: Its Conceptual Framework.
3. Review of a Company's Accounting System.
4. The Balance Sheet and the Statement of Shareholders' Equity.
5. The Income Statement and the Statement of Cash Flows.
Time Value of Money Module.
Part II: BUSINESS OPERATING ACTIVITIES.
6. Cash and Receivables.
7. Inventories: Cost Measurement and Flow Assumptions.
8. Inventories: Special Valuation Issues.
9. Current Liabilities and Contingent Obligations.
Part III: INVESTING ACTIVITIES.
10. Property, Plant, and Equipment: Acquisition and Subsequent Investments.
11. Depreciation, Depletion, Impairment, and Disposal.
13. Investments and Long-Term Receivables.
Part IV: FINANCING ACTIVITIES.
14. Financing Liabilities: Bonds and Long-Term Notes Payable.
15. Contributed Capital.
16. Retained Earnings and Earnings Per Share.
Part V: SPECIAL TOPICS IN FINANCIAL REPORTING.
17. Advanced Issues in Revenue Recognition.
18. Accounting for Income Taxes.
19. Accounting for Post-Retirement Benefits.
20. Accounting for Leases.
21. The Statement of Cash Flows.
22. Accounting for Changes and Errors.
Appendix A: Starbucks Financial Statements (full report).
Appendix B: List of the Official Pronouncements of the AICPA and FASB.
Appendix C: List of the Official Pronouncements of the IASB.
Appendix D: Brief Guide to Key Differences Between IFRS and GAAP by Chapter.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
The instructor website has the supplements you need to enhance your lesson planning and classroom instruction. You’ll find PowerPoint® slides, Excel templates, a test bank in Word format, transparency masters, and more.
Solutions Manual, Volume 1
Author-written and carefully verified multiple times to ensure accuracy and consistency with this edition, the Solutions Manual contains answers to all questions, review exercises, exercises, problems, and cases that appear in the text for Chapters 1-13. These solutions help you easily and efficiently plan, assign, and grade assignments.
Solutions Manual, Volume 2
Author-written and carefully verified multiple times to ensure accuracy and consistency with this edition, the Solutions Manual contains answers to all questions, review exercises, exercises, problems, and cases that appear in the text for Chapters 14-22. These solutions help you easily and efficiently plan, assign, and grade assignments.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access for Wahlen/Jones/Pagach’s Intermediate Accounting: Reporting and Analysis, 2017 Update, 2E