Request for consultation
Reflecting the latest developments in the field and featuring an updated full color art program, INQUIRY INTO PHYSICS, 8th Edition, continues to emphasize the inquiry approach to learning physics by asking students to try things, to discover relationships between physical quantities on their own, and to look for answers in the world around them. To build conceptual understanding, this arithmetic-based text includes Physics to Go activities, Concept Maps, and periodic conceptual quizzes. At least one Applications feature in each chapter demonstrates the use of physical concepts developed in the chapter in areas such as astronomy, medicine, environmental science and cultural studies. The text also reviews the historical development of physics and offers vignettes about the scientists who made new discoveries possible, elements that are particularly relevant as context for non-science majors.
- UPDATED WITH THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN THE FIELD. The text covers the most current scientific discoveries and achievements, including newly discovered chemical elements; recent advances in particle physics (e.g., the discovery of the Higgs boson with the Large Hadron Collider in 2014) and cosmology (including the discovery of gravitational waves using the LIGO observatories in 2016); additional refinements in the discussion of entropy; expanded treatments of special and general relativity; and an up-to-date list of Nobel Prize recipients in physics.
- FULLY REVISED CHAPTER 12. To make this final chapter more pedagogically effective, the author pared down the prior discussion of elementary particles, added a completely new section on general relativity, and reorganized the presentation to better reflect the conceptual connection between Einstein’s contributions in special and general relativity, the development and impact of particle physics in the wake of World War II, and the profound influence of these branches of physical science on the emergence and progress of both theoretical and observational cosmology.
- UPDATED, FULL-COLOR ART PROGRAM. To help students better visualize and comprehend even the most abstract concepts, the text now incorporates many new photos, as well as improved line illustrations that include new explanatory annotations and a consistent use of color for key vector quantities.
- NEW QUESTIONS, PROBLEMS, AND ACTIVITIES. More than two dozen new questions and problems, including additional ranking exercises, give instructors more flexibility in tailoring assignments to their course needs. Physics to Go exploration boxes now feature clearer instructions and goals to better support students studying on their own.
- ENHANCED INSTRUCTOR TOOLS. The Instructor’s Resource Site offers an instructor support package that includes lecture presentation resources to aid in course preparation.
- CONCEPT MAPS. Concept Maps (one to three in each chapter) visually summarize abstract concepts, helping students link key concepts, processes, and systems in an easy-to-follow flowchart format. End-of-chapter Mapping It Out! features allow students to create and share their own concept maps to improve and validate their understanding of important concepts and key relationships.
- PROLOGUE. An introductory chapter covers the application of physics, the scientific method, and measurement and answers such basic questions as: What is physics? How does one do physics? How does a beginner learn physics? This chapter has been designed to help students immediately see why the study of physics is a useful and stimulating endeavor.
- WITHIN-CHAPTER LEARNING CHECKS. To give students an opportunity to test their basic comprehension of the material before going on, Learning Checks at the end of each major section provide conceptual self-quizzes.
- CHAPTER-ENDING PROFILES. Each chapter ends with a fascinating look at the human side of physics. Newly titled Profiles in Physics, these essays trace the lives and work of individuals who made groundbreaking discoveries and developed the physics concepts presented in the chapter. Exploring the lives of scientists from Aristotle to Murray Gell-Mann, these features reveal to readers the challenges faced and overcome by physicists throughout history.
- CONCISE, STRUCTURED CONTENTS. With just 12 chapters, INQUIRY INTO PHYSICS, 8th Edition, is more compact than competing texts, making it perfect for instructors teaching one-semester courses and looking for a text structured in a traditional "chapter-a-week" format.
- NATURAL PHENOMENA APPLICATIONS. The book uses a broad range of applications of physics principles as seen in natural phenomena, such as thunder and lightning storms, rainbows and sundogs, auroras, the greenhouse effect, geomagnetism, and more, to better engage non-science majors.
- EMPHASIS ON MODERN APPLICATIONS. Modern applications of physics to such devices as iPods and iPads, airport metal detectors, in-home smoke detectors, radar "guns," plasma TVs, fiber optics probes, PET scanners, lasers, and more engage students and show them the relevance of physics in their lives.
- INQUIRY-BASED APPROACH. Physics to Go activities encourage students to engage with the subject matter through guided hands-on activities and to draw conclusions based on their observations before proceeding to the textual discussion of the principles of physics involved.
1. The Study of Motion.
2. Newton's Laws.
3. Energy and Conservation Laws.
4. Physics of Matter.
5. Temperature and Heat.
6. Waves and Sound.
8. Electromagnetism and EM Waves.
10. Atomic Physics.
11. Nuclear Physics.
12. Relativity, Particle Physics, and Cosmology.
Appendix A: Winners of the Nobel Prize in Physics.
Appendix B: Math Review.
Appendix C: Answers.
Glossary of Key Terms and Laws.
Table of Conversion Factors and Other Information.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. The posted Instructor’s Manual presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.