Request for consultation
Provide your students with a concise, practical, and time-tested introduction to the most important areas of tax law with INCOME TAX FUNDAMENTALS 2017. For more than 30 years, this textbook has set the market-leading standard in tax education with a proven, step-by-step workbook format that incorporates real examples and uses actual tax forms. This edition now combines effective end-of-chapter reinforcement with the option to use the CengageNOW™v2 online course management and homework tool. INCOME TAX FUNDAMENTALS 2017 offers all of the resources you need to ensure your students gain the timely knowledge and ongoing skills to become proficient tax preparers.
- EXPANDED AFFORDABLE CARE ACT (ACA) COVERAGE ENSURES READER COMPREHENSION. Additional material in this edition further clarifies the ACA, giving readers a better understanding of this act and its impact on taxation. More schedules and worksheets typically necessary to complete a return by hand now appear in this edition to provide a better understanding of how the limitations and additional taxes work.
- ADDITIONAL COVERAGE ADDRESSES EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT (EIC) AND CHILDCARE TAX CREDIT. This edition examines the EIC as well as today’s Childcare Tax Credit in more detail to provide readers with key information as well as the details needed to most effectively prepare taxes.
- INCREASED FOCUS ON EDUCATION CREDITS AND RETIREMENT SAVINGS FURTHER CLARIFIES THESE IMPORTANT AREAS OF CONSIDERATION. This edition’s presentation on education credits is now reorganized to better explain the tax savings available to students and others pursuing training. The retirement savings discussions have been reorganized to focus on benefits available to employees and those available to self-employed or small business owners.
- NEW STUDENT-FRIENDLY DESIGN KEEPS READER INTEREST WHILE VISUALLY REINFORCING INFORMATION. An engaging, full-color design throughout this edition increases the book’s appeal and readability. Clear, colorful presentations throughout help increase comprehension.
- CENGAGENOW™v2 PROVIDES ONLINE COURSE MANAGEMENT AND ENHANCED STUDENT LEARNING TOOLS. With its engaging learning and assessment tools, CengageNOW™v2 supports the entire student workflow, from motivation to mastery. For you, the instructor, CengageNOW™v2 continues to provide enhanced control and customization with additional opportunities to tailor the learning experience to improve outcomes. CengageNOW™v2 goes beyond memorization and basic homework practice to engage students using relevant multimedia study tools, detailed feedback, and assessment tools.
- A WEALTH OF PROBLEMS AND PRACTICAL QUESTIONS OFFER HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE FOR STUDENTS. You can be sure your students are practicing with the latest tax information. This book’s proven end-of-chapter questions, tax return problems, and test bank problems all reflect the dozens of standard changes that result from yearly cost of living tax rate increases and phase-ins and phase-outs of tax benefits.
- STUDENTS WORK WITH THE LATEST, PROFESSIONAL H&R BLOCK SOFTWARE. Your students have the opportunity to use actual H&R Block software for tax year 2016, which is available with each new copy of the book. Students are able to actually solve many of the 2016 Individual Income Tax Return problems in the book using this professional tool. The software is easy to master with many helpful features, including access to useful tips, calculators, and the most current tax information.
- INTERNAL REVENUE CODE SECTIONS AND QUICK TAX REFERENCE GUIDE. Useful at-a-glance tools, including the Important Internal Revenue Code Sections and Quick Tax Reference Guide, feature critical information, such as the Tax Formula, provided in full color for easy reader reference.
- The 2018 Tax Media Pack includes a 1 term (6 months) printed access card for RIA Checkpoint and a printed access card for H&R Block Premium & Business, Filing Year 2016. Checkpoint is a leading Tax research tool used by top U.S. CPA firms. It integrates comprehensive, authoritative content from experts, well-known third-party content, primary source materials, news, online learning, and more—allowing you to do your research in one place. H&R Block features basic and complex problems that allow students to prepare returns for individuals, C and S corporations, partnerships, estates, and trusts.
2. Gross Income and Exclusions.
3. Business Income and Expenses, Part I.
4. Business Income and Expenses, Part II.
5. Itemized Deductions and Other Incentives.
6. Credits and Special Taxes.
7. Accounting Periods and Methods and Depreciation.
8. Capital Gains and Losses.
9. Withholding, Estimated Payments, and Payroll Taxes.
10. Partnership Taxation.
11. The Corporate Income Tax.
12. Tax Administration and Tax Planning.
Appendix A: Tax Rate Schedules and Tax Tables.
Appendix B: Earned Income Credit Table.
Appendix C: Withholding Tables.
Appendix D: Additional Comprehensive Tax Return Problems.
Appendix E: Solutions to Self-Study Problems.
Glossary of Tax Terms.
List of Forms.
List of Schedules.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website (with Solutions Manual, Test Bank, PowerPoint®)
Find everything you need in one place. This Instructor Companion site includes the Solutions Manual, Test Bank, Instructor PowerPoint® Slides, Solutions to Cumulative Problems, Lecture Notes, Chapter Outlines and Suggested Minimum Assignments, Solutions to Comprehensive Problems, and H&R Block Solutions. Student supplements are also available on the Instructor Website and include Learning Objectives, Glossary/Flashcards, Student PowerPoint® Slides, Quick Tax Reference, Self-Study Solutions, Instructions on How to Update H&R Block Software, 1040 Map, a Sample Letter, and Sample Memo.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.