Request for consultation
Featuring a student-friendly narrative approach, IN MIXED COMPANY: COMMUNICATING IN SMALL GROUPS, 9th Edition, combines solid theory, real-world examples, interactive applications, and the latest research on small group communication. Following the central unifying theme of cooperation, the text uses the communication competence model to guide discussions of key small group concepts and processes. It includes systems theory as a key theoretical component and continues its unique emphasis on the role of power in small group communication. Thoroughly revised and updated, the ninth edition integrates business-oriented and workplace examples, surveys, and studies throughout. Doubling the coverage of group roles, the text includes expanded discussions of the types of informal group roles as well as comprehensive explanations of task, maintenance, and disruptive roles. Discussion of technology and its influence on small group communication also has been expanded throughout the text. Helping students put what they learn into practice, new interactive activities and exercises have been added to the text, while interactive pre- and post-quizzes are included in MindTap.
- Completely up to date and meticulously edited, the new streamlined IN MIXED COMPANY: COMMUNICATING IN SMALL GROUPS, 9e delivers succinct yet comprehensive coverage that is packed with the most current examples and content available.
- Research and theory have been thoroughly updated in every chapter. Almost 200 recent references have been added to incorporate the latest research and theory on small group communication, while more than 100 older references have been removed.
- The Ninth Edition is packed with cutting-edge examples. New business-oriented and workplace examples, surveys, and studies are integrated throughout the text. Recent events taken straight from the headlines illustrate key points.
- Almost doubling the amount of coverage devoted to group roles, the Ninth Edition splits the former “Roles and Leadership” chapter into two separate chapters-Chapter 5, Roles in Groups, and Chapter 6, Group Leadership. Significantly reorganized, chapter material now offers expanded coverage of the types of informal group roles and includes more comprehensive explanations of task, maintenance, and disruptive roles. A new section also explains how these informal roles are actively transacted. More emphasis on leadership and group roles helps students see the importance of roles within groups as well as provides additional information about the role of newcomers in groups.
- Discussion of technology and its influence on small group communication has been thoroughly updated in Chapter 12, Technology and Virtual Groups, as well as expanded throughout the text.
- Interactive pre- and post-quizzes are included in MindTap, helping students review what they've read and better prepare for exams.
- New interactive activities test students' assumptions and expectations, while all-new exercises prompt students to reflect on what they've learned.
- Extensive updating of citations makes this book more relevant than ever.
- The text's current, comprehensive coverage includes expansive discussions and research on leadership, group roles and member diversity, and group polarization.
- Lively photos and cartoons bring chapter concepts to life and include captions with related interactive quizzes to help students sharpen their critical thinking skills.
- The text's unique emphasis on the role of power in small group communication helps students see that power is a central underlying element in small group conflict, teamwork, decision making, problem solving, normative behavior, roles, and leadership.
- Systems theory-a key theoretical component of the text-equips students with an easy-to-understand conceptual framework for analysis and insights.
- The comprehensive test bank offers a wealth of questions, include many single-answer multiple choice and standard true/false.
- Boldfaced terms and an expanded glossary of key terms emphasize key concepts, helping students make the most of their study time.
- “Closer Look” sections engage students by offering insight into such topics as high school cliques; leadership and team building; contrasting leadership styles; technology and the bias of speed; and Murphy's Law.
- IN MIXED COMPANY: COMMUNICATING IN SMALL GROUPS, 9A integrates a solid communication competence perspective throughout, providing a clear communication focus that maximizes student understanding.
1. Communication Competence in Groups.
2. Groups as Systems.
3. Group Development.
4. Developing the Group Climate.
5. Roles in Groups.
6. Group Leadership.
7. Developing Effective Teams.
8. Group Discussion: Defective Group Decision Making and Problem Solving.
9. Group Discussion: Effective Decision Making and Problem Solving.
10. Power in Groups: A Central Dynamic.
11. Conflict Management in Groups.
12. Technology and Virtual Groups.
Appendix A: Group Oral Presentations.
Appendix B: Critical Thinking Revisited: Arguments and Fallacies.
“One of the most notable successes of this text, it is engaging and not stuffy, it is personable and not patronizing, it is conceptually sophisticated while not being obtuse or pedantic.”
“IN MIXED COMPANY helps my students to learn and apply group communication theory by including: 1. Interesting, personal, and engaging writing style with a wide variety of vivid, memorable examples 2. Accessible/well-explained theoretical ideas 3. Logical, clear organization with useful chapter/section titles, boldface, highlighting, and italics. In sum, you have done a terrific job with many aspects of this text: The inclusion of current examples keeps the readings fresh. Issues of gender and ethnicity brought up throughout make the text more widely applicable to all student perspectives. Information on technology, digital devices and resources is vital to our students' daily lives. The text quizzes are useful to students and reinforce their learning. Transcripts used throughout are very enlightening. Using a lot of color, changes in text presentation, tables/charts/illustrations, stories, case studies, photos/video/media references keep the readers involved and focused on the communication topics. Your personal narrative voice makes this text unique and captures our attention in a way that few other textbooks do.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the IN MIXED COMPANY test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
MindTap Speech, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access for Rothwell's In Mixed Company: Communicating in Small Groups
MindTap™ Speech for Rothwell's In Mixed Company: Communicating in Small Groups, 9th Edition is the digital learning solution that helps instructors engage and transform today's students into critical thinkers. Through paths of dynamic assignments and applications that you can personalize, real-time course analytics, and an accessible reader, MindTap helps you turn cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers. Access to this product is valid for 6 months of usage.
MindTap Speech for Rothwell's In Mixed Company: Communicating in Small Groups
MindTap™ Speech for Rothwell's In Mixed Company: Communicating in Small Groups, 9th Edition provides you with the tools you need to better manage your limited time -- you can complete assignments whenever and wherever you are ready to learn with course material specially customized for you by your instructor and streamlined in one proven, easy-to-use interface. With an array of tools and apps -- from note taking to flashcards -- you'll get a true understanding of course concepts, helping you to achieve better grades and setting the groundwork for your future courses. Access to this product is valid for 6 months of usage.