Request for consultation
Honest and inspiring, I NEVER KNEW I HAD A CHOICE: EXPLORATIONS IN PERSONAL GROWTH, 11th Edition, is an invitation to personal learning and growth -- and a roadmap to lasting change. Research-based, yet written in a personal, encouraging tone, the book helps students examine the choices they've made, expand their awareness of the choices available to them, and choose where to go next. Emphasizing the role of personal responsibility and choice in creating a meaningful life, the text explores a wide variety of key topics, including personal style of learning, the effects of childhood and adolescence experiences on current behavior and choices, meeting the challenges of adulthood and autonomy, and many other issues related to personal growth and development. Self-inventories, exercises, activities, and first-person accounts of difficult choices real people have made give students invaluable insight into their lives, beliefs, and attitudes in a personally empowering way.
- New co-author Michelle Muratori shares her unique voice and perspective, enhancing this edition's examination of personal growth and choice.
- Chapter 9, "Sexuality," now emphasizes communication about sexual issues, highlighting the positive, healthy aspects of sexuality and the development of sexual values. The discussion addresses programs on college campuses that focus on sexual communication, a cross-cultural perspective on sexual communication, and how cyber-culture provides individuals with new choices regarding how they understand, express, and communicate their sexuality. There is also new material addressing the impact of the hooking up culture.
- Chapter 10, "Work and Recreation," addresses the dynamics of discontent at work, workplace bullying, the relationship between self-esteem and work, and forced retirement. A new section on the changing workplace addresses the impact of technology on the way people work and interact with colleagues.
- Chapter 11, "Loneliness and Solitude," discusses the creative dimensions of solitude, along with increased coverage on the different kinds of loneliness. The authors discuss the impact of technology on individuals' lives in a new section on loneliness in the age of connectivity that explores the question: "Does Facebook make you lonely?" The section on creating loneliness through shyness has been updated and expanded.
- Chapter 12, "Death and Loss," contains a revised discussion of suicide, grieving one's losses, and cultural aspects of mourning.
- Chapter 13, "Meaning and Values," includes many more examples of people who live with passion and purpose in their quest for a meaningful existence.
- MindTap ®, an online learning experience built on the book's content, is available with this text. MindTap guides you through your course by combining readings, multimedia, applied activities, and quizzes into a learning path. Each chapter utilizes realistic videos to illustrate skills and concepts in action, followed by questions that give you practice evaluating and thinking critically about what you viewed.
- Key features like "Where Am I Now", "Where Can I Go From Here", and "Take Time to Reflect" have been updated to keep them as meaningful as possible for the lives of today's students.
- Chapter 1, "Invitation to Personal Learning and Growth," presents several models of personal growth. Increased coverage is devoted to positive psychology and attaining a sense of well-being. Considerable new material illuminate's factors that are associated with happiness, and an expanded section discusses how people change and difficulties in making changes.
- Chapter 2, "Reviewing Your Childhood and Adolescence," contains an expanded discussion of the role of early childhood experiences on later personality development. The discussion of attachment theory has been expanded, demonstrating how human connection in early development is central to understanding later stages of life. There is more emphasis on how cultural factors influence attachments as well as on the impact of parenting style on a person's development, with special attention paid to the role of culture.
- Chapter 4, "Your Body and Wellness," contains increased coverage of applying technology to health care, initiatives aimed at helping people to lead healthier lives, and the impact of social media on body image.
- Chapter 5, "Managing Stress," examines the impact of stress on the body, causes of stress, ineffective and constructive reactions to stress, and stress and the healthy personality. The sections on posttraumatic stress disorder and vicarious traumatization have been significantly updated and expanded. Recent research has been included on meditation, mindfulness, yoga, and massage, and several additional approaches to stress management -- T'ai Chi, Pilates, and acupuncture -- have been added.
- Chapter 6, "Love," deals with the many facets of love, including the significant addition of the effects of social media on how people demonstrate their love for one another.
- Chapter 7, "Relationships," has more information on the importance of self- and other-forgiveness.
- Chapter 8, "Becoming the Woman or Man You Want to Be," has been extensively revised to reflect recent literature on gender-role socialization. Numerous new resources update the discussion of male roles, female roles, gender-role conflict, gender-role socialization, women and work choices, and challenging traditional gender roles.
- Up-to-date research and literature provide the most current information available on personal growth and adjustment topics. Each chapter also features inventories, questions, activities, and suggested websites that help readers gain insight into their thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and behavior.
- Text material is presented in a way that helps students apply chapter concepts to their own lives. Each chapter begins with a self-inventory designed to assess attitudes and beliefs regarding a particular question -- helping readers clarify personal views on a range of subjects. "Take Time to Reflect" activities pose questions to help stimulate critical thinking about how the material affects students personally. End-of-chapter "Where Can I Go From Here" exercises help students apply text material, while personal assessment tools provide valuable insight into students' own behavior.
- "Personal Stories" in many chapters offer first-person accounts of how others have dealt with their own struggles and the choices they have made in response to their challenges -- enabling students to learn and gain insight from the experiences of others.
2. Reviewing Your Childhood and Adolescence.
3. Adulthood and Autonomy.
4. Your Body and Wellness.
5. Managing Stress.
8. Becoming the Woman or Man You Want to Be.
10. Work and Recreation.
11. Loneliness and Solitude.
12. Death and Loss.
13. Meaning and Values.
"It is an interesting combination of theoretical text and personal self-help book - ideal for emerging professionals in the helping professions."
"A very useful, student-friendly text with a point of view (that humanistic/existential point of view) that truly benefits the students not only in useful content … but also in offering them a more loving, accepting, compassionate way of approaching themselves and their world that is a lot of what our world need to survive and heal."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.