Request for consultation
Clear, engaging, and visually compelling, Starr and McMillan's HUMAN BIOLOGY, 11e teaches students the core concepts of human biology and prepares them to make well-informed decisions in their lives. Each chapter opens with an interesting application that highlights the relevance of biology and motivates the study of the topic. Students then learn basic concepts which help them think critically about these issues. Useful pedagogy, such as section-ending "Take-Home Messages" and a running glossary, ensure students understand key concepts. New "Focus on Human Impact" boxes and chapter-ending "Your Future" and "Explore on Your Own" sections demonstrate to students the impact and personal relevance of the content on their lives. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- UPDATED AND REVISED COVERAGE of changing nutritional guidelines, allergies and autoimmunity, new scientific understanding of human evolution, and a streamlined presentation of genetics concepts keeps students up-to-date with the latest changes in the field.
- NEW AND IMPROVED ILLUSTRATIONS AND FRESH, STRIKING PHOTOGRAPHS clarify key concepts and processes.
- NEW "FOCUS ON HUMAN IMPACT" BOXES demonstrate how individual actions affect current issues related to human health, the environment, and societal concerns.
- A NEW APPENDIX ON GENETICS covers test crosses and the inheritance of multiple traits.
- UPDATED MINDTAP DIGITAL LEARNING PLATFORM features new assignable problems, a new digital study guide, and new videos, along with assignable, gradable activities, pre- and post-learning assessments, and "How Would You Vote?" engagement activities.
- TAKE-HOME MESSAGE: At the end of each section, a question and bulleted list of answers help students grasp the key concepts.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- HOMEOSTASIS EMPHASIS AND CONNECTIONS: Each human systems chapter has a "Homeostasis Preview" and a "Connections" grid that show integration of body systems and highlight the role of the system in the chapter.
- INTEGRATED INFECTIOUS DISEASE COVERAGE: In Chapter 1, infectious diseases are introduced as a global health issue. Subsequent chapters, especially the systems chapters, integrate coverage of diseases and disorders, including a section on infectious disease concerns related to the chapter's main topic.
- APPLICATIONS: Each chapter opens with a brief, interesting essay about a biology-related issue or research finding that relates to the chapter topic. The chapter discussions show students how understanding basic concepts of human biology can help them think critically and make informed decisions.
- RUNNING GLOSSARY: The on-page running glossary gives students immediate help with the language of human biology.
2. Chemistry of Life.
3. Cells and How They Work.
4. Tissues, Organs, and Organ Systems.
5. The Skeletal System.
6. The Muscular System.
7. Circulation: The Heart and Blood Vessels.
9. Immunity and Disease.
10. The Respiratory System.
11. Digestion and Nutrition.
12. The Urinary System.
13. The Nervous System.
14. Sensory Systems.
15. The Endocrine System.
16. Reproductive Systems.
17. Development and Aging.
18. Cell Reproduction.
19. Introduction to Genetics.
20. Chromosomes and Human Genetics.
21. DNA, Genes, and Biotechnology.
22. Genes and Disease: Cancer.
23. Principles of Evolution.
24. Principles of Ecology.
25. Human Impacts on the Biosphere.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access