Request for consultation
Clear, engaging, and visual, Starr and McMillan's HUMAN BIOLOGY teaches students the core concepts of human biology and prepares them to make well-informed decisions in their lives. Each chapter opens with an application that highlights the relevance of biology and motivates the study of the topic. Students then learn the basic concepts which help them think critically about these issues. Useful pedagogy such as section ending "Take-Home Messages" and a running glossary ensure students understand key concepts. At the end of the chapter, "Your Future" and "Explore on Your Own" sections demonstrate the impact and personal relevance of the content on their lives. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW! CONCEPT ROAD MAPS help students focus on key concepts in each chapter, make connections to prior concepts, and see where the material is leading.
- NEW! "YOUR FUTURE" sections at the end of each chapter demonstrate the personal relevance of the material and prepare students to make well-informed decisions as consumers and voters.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW! UPDATED COVERAGE appears throughout with the latest research and even more clarity. The case studies are now be carried throughout the chapters.
- NEW! UPDATED ART PROGRAM features larger art pieces to help visual learners. The visually-appealing and accurate art program includes step-by-step art, "Figure It Out" images, and animated figures.
- NEW! ENHANCED END OF CHAPTER MATERIAL includes key concept thumbnails and key terms in the chapter summaries as well as an increased number of self-quiz questions and additional review material.
- TAKE-HOME MESSAGE: At the end of each section, a question and bulleted list of answers help students grasp the key concepts.
- HOMEOSTASIS EMPHASIS AND CONNECTIONS: Each human systems chapter has a "Homeostasis Preview" as well as a "Connections" grid that shows integration of body systems and highlights the role of the system in the chapter.
- INTEGRATED INFECTIOUS DISEASE COVERAGE: In Chapter 1, infectious diseases are introduced as a global health issue. Subsequent chapters, especially the systems chapters, integrate coverage of diseases and disorders, including a section on infectious disease concerns related to the chapter's main topic.
- APPLICATIONS: Each chapter opens with a brief, interesting essay about a biology-related issue or research finding that relates to the chapter topic. The chapter discussions show students how understanding basic concepts of human biology can help them think critically and make informed decisions.
- RUNNING GLOSSARY: The on-page running glossary gives students immediate help with the language of human biology.
2. Chemistry of Life.
3. Cells and How They Work.
4. Tissues, Organs, and Organ Systems.
5. The Skeletal System.
6. The Muscular System.
7. Circulation: The Heart and Blood Vessels.
9. Immunity and Disease.
10. The Respiratory System.
11. Digestion and Nutrition.
12. The Urinary System.
13. The Nervous System.
14. Sensory Systems.
15. The Endocrine System.
16. Reproductive Systems.
17. Development and Aging.
18. Cell Reproduction.
19. Introduction to Genetics.
20. Chromosomes and Human Genetics.
21. DNA, Genes, and Biotechnology.
22. Genes and Disease: Cancer.
23. Principles of Evolution.
24. Principles of Ecology.
25. Human Impacts on the Biosphere.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access