Request for consultation
- UPDATES REFLECT THE LATEST HTML5 CODING PRACTICES. Readers become proficient in writing and applying all HTML5 code as they work through the exercises in this fully revised edition.
- EMPHASIS ON RESPONSIVE DESIGN ENSURES STUDENTS KNOW-HOW TO BUILD SITES OPTIMIZED FOR ANY DEVICE. Students learn to create sites that are easy to read and simple to navigate with flexible grids, layouts, images, and CSS queries that are ideal, whether the viewer is using a mobile device or desktop computer.
- THOROUGH COVERAGE INTEGRATES MOBILE DESIGN AND TESTING. Helpful screen shots highlighting mobile output throughout the book prepare learners to address an aspect of web development technology that is growing at an astronomical pace.
- COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS HOW TO DEBUG CODE USING BROWSER TOOLS. Students learn to maximize resources and use the most efficient tools available to build error-free sites.
- NEW APPROACH TO UNIT A GETS STUDENTS CODING EARLIER. The book also now integrates popular developer tools including wireframing.
- VISUAL DESIGN TIPS PRESENTED THROUGHOUT THIS EDITION GUIDE LEARNERS IN CREATING WELL-DESIGNED WEBSITES. Quick reference visual design tips, especially in Units A-H, remind students of best design practice in creating attractive websites that are simple to navigate.
- IMPROVED BOOK DESIGN ENHANCES STUDENT LEARNING EXPERIENCE. Larger screenshots highlight important code, while learning outcomes for each two-page lesson clearly demonstrate what the student is accountable to learn. All learning outcomes are mapped to end-of-unit assignments and test bank questions.
- FOCUS PREPARES LEARNERS TO BUILD PROFESSIONAL WEBSITES. Student projects include professionally designed layouts and web-ready text, encouraging students to focus on refining the skills needed to combine these elements as they learn to create exceptional web pages and websites.
- ALL CODE TESTED ON MULTIPLE BROWSERS. All code used in this edition has been tested on several widely used browsers to ensure that all steps can be completed using a Windows® or Mac computer.
- PROVEN ILLUSTRATED SERIES TWO-PAGE SPREAD LESSONS APPEAL TO VARIETY OF LEARNING STYLES. All concepts are clearly presented within a visually driven two-page spread that ensures material is easy to follow and easy to absorb.
- SPECIAL INDEPENDENT CHALLENGE AND VISUAL WORKSHOP FEATURES EMPHASIZE THE RELEVANCE OF KEY CONCEPTS. These dynamic end-of-chapter practice opportunities, hands-on applications, and detailed explanations encourage important practice while making concepts easier to understand.
- QUICK TIPS AND TROUBLE BOXES PROVIDE VALUABLE PROFESSIONAL INSIGHT. Tips and cautions within this edition’s step-by-step instructions help students avoid typical errors and pitfalls.
- THOROUGH COVERAGE ADDRESSES BASIC TO ADVANCED CONCEPTS AND SKILLS FOR DEVELOPING WEB PAGES AND WEBSITES USING HTML5 AND CSS3. Students learn how to write and edit code effectively using a basic text editor and browser.
Define a Project Plan. Create Wireframes and a Storyboard. Create an HTML Document. Set Up the Document Head and Body. Add Text to a Web Page. Add a Comment to a Web Document. Preview Your Web Page on a Desktop Computer. Configure Web Server Software. Preview Your Web Page on Mobile Devices.
Unit B: STRUCTURING CONTENT IN A WEB DOCUMENT.
Evaluate Web Accessibility Standards. Incorporate Attributes. Implement the div Element. Add HTML5 Semantic Elements. Use Special Characters. Specify the Viewpoint. Debug Your HTML Code. Validate Your HTML Code. Create an XHTML Document.
Unit C: GETTING STARTED WITH CSS.
Assess Style Rules. Create an Embedded Style Sheet. Implement an ID Selector. Implement a Class Selector. Use Multiple Selectors. Create an External Style Sheet. Link to an External Style Sheet. Add a Comment to a Style Sheet. Debug and Validate CSS Code. .
Unit D: LAYING OUT ELEMENTS WITH CSS
Assess the CSS Box Model. Set Element Width and Borders. Set Margins and Padding. Align Elements with float. Control Page Flow with clear. Implement Fixed Positioning. Implement Relative Positioning. Control Stacking Order. Implement Absolute Positioning
Unit E: FORMATTING TEXT WITH CSS. Assess Web Fonts. Declare a Font Family. Use a Custom Font. Declare Font Size and Line Height. Implement Bold and Italics. Style Pseudo-Elements. Specify Hex and RGB Colors. Add Shadows. Create a Media Query.
Unit F: INSERTING AND WORKING WITH LINKS.
Understand Links. Create Relative Links. Create Absolute Links. Change CSS Display Type. Style Links with Pseudo-Classes. Style Multiple Link States. Open Links in New Tabs. Create a Link within a Document. Add Navigational Accessibility.
Unit G: INSERTING AND WORKING WITH IMAGES.
Evaluate Image File Types. Insert Images. Insert a Background Image. Mark Images as Figures. Create a Figure Caption. Use Images as Links. Create an Image Map. Define Additional Hotspots. Insert a Favicon and Touch Icons.
Unit H: ORGANIZING CONTENT WITH LISTS AND TABLES.
Create an Ordered List. Create an Unordered List. Create a Description List. Create a Nav Bar Bar Using a List. Insert a Table. Debug Tables. Span Columns and Rows. Format a Table with CSS. Apply a Table-Like Structure to Other Elements.
Unit I: IMPLEMENTING RESPONSIVE DESIGN.
Assess Responsive Design. Construct a Multipart Media Query. Test Layouts with an Emulator. Add a Column with a Media Query. Create a Widescreen Layout. Create a Responsive Navigation. Implement Adaptive Content. Use Progressive Enhancement.
Unit J: CREATING AND PROCESSING WEB FORMS.
Design a Form. Create a Form. Create Text Fields. Customize Text Fields. Create Check Boxes. Create Option Buttons. Create a Drop-Down Menu. Enable Form Submission.
Unit K: CREATING VISUAL EFFECTS AND ANIMATION.
Add Generated Content. Add Visual Form Feedback. Create a Gradient. Create a CSS Shape. Apply Styles Based on Feature Detection. Apply a Transform. Create a Transition. Animate Content.
UNIT L: INCORPORATING VIDEO AND AUDIO.
Assess Web Video and Audio. Use the Video Element. Control Playback. Incorporate the Source Element. Add Video Support for Older Browsers. Provide Poster and Fallback Images. Make Videos Accessible. Implement the audio Element.
UNIT N: INTEGRATING SOCIAL MEDIA
Evaluate Social Media. Add a Facebook Like Button. Add a Twitter Tweet Button. Embed a Tweet. Embed a YouTube Video. Embed an Instagram Image. Integrate a Twitter Account Feed. Add a Twitter Hash Tag Feed
UNIT O: OPTIMIZING YOUR WEBSITE FOR SEARCH ENGINES.
Understand Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Write Indexable Content. Add a Description with the Meta Element. Incorporate Microdata. Create a Sitemap File. Create a robots.txt File. Preview and Finalize Your Site. Submit Your Site.
UNIT P: TESTING AND IMPROVING PERFORMANCE.
Assess Performance. Plan Usability Tests. Perform Browser Test. Test Pager Loading Speed. Incorporate a Spritesheet. Optimize Images. Reduce the Size of CSS Files. Customize Modernizr.
Appendix A: HTML.
Appendix B: CSS.
Appendix C: Uploading Files to a Web Server. (online)
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Find all of the time-saving resources you need to support your course at your fingertips with this helpful, password-protected Instructor Companion Site. Download support materials as you need them.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.