Request for consultation
Cengage Learning's HISTORICAL GEOLOGY brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools along with comprehensive text content for historical geology courses. Adopt the resources that enable your students to purchase the right solution to meet their needs, whether it's a traditional printed text, all digital learning platform, or package that includes the best of both worlds. With the recently updated Historical Geology 7th Edition and CourseMate's interactive teaching and learning tools, it's never been easier to introduce students to the geological and biological history of Earth and the underlying principles and processes that have shaped our planet.
- Revised PERSPECTIVE BOXES - Found in each chapter, these boxes present a brief discussion of an interesting aspect of historical geology or geological research.
- Climate change coverage is now integrated throughout the book.
- Balanced overview of the geological and biological history of Earth as a continuum of interrelated events that reflect the underlying principles and processes that have shaped our planet.
- Coverage includes basic geologic principles as well as how scientists apply these principles to unravel Earth's history.
- Three major themes – time, evolutionary theory, and plate tectonics – are woven together throughout the book to help students link essential material and enhance their understanding of historical geology.
- Several misconceptions in the field of geology are discussed including the theory of evolution, the evidence for evolution, and how the fossil record provides evidence for evolution.
2. Minerals and Rocks.
3. Plate Tectonics: A Unifying Theory.
4. Geologic Time: Concepts and Principles.
5. Rocks, Fossils, and Time--Making Sense of the Geologic Record.
6. Sedimentary Rocks--The Archives of Earth History.
7. Evolution--The Theory and Its Supporting Evidence.
8. Precambrian Earth and Life History--The Archean Eon.
9. Precambrian Earth and Life History--The Proterozoic Eon.
10. Early Paleozoic Earth History.
11. Late Paleozoic Earth History.
12. Paleozoic Life History: Invertebrates.
13. Paleozoic Life History: Vertebrates and Plants.
14. Mesozoic Earth History.
15. Life of the Mesozoic Era.
16. Cenozoic Earth History: The Paleogene and Neogene.
17. Cenozoic Geologic History: The Pleistocene and Holocene Epochs.
18. Life of the Cenozoic Era.
19. Primate and Human Evolution.
Appendix A: Metric Conversion Chart.
Appendix B: Classification of Organisms.
Appendix C: Mineral Identification.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.