Request for consultation
Helping your students gain a competitive edge, CAREER SUCCESS IN HEALTH CARE: PROFESSIONALISM IN ACTION, 3e emphasizes the vital importance of focusing on behavioral skills and establishing a personal brand from "day one" of students' academic program. With its hands-on, interactive format, this unique worktext helps students develop their interpersonal skills to achieve success within their program, while seeking their first career position, and well beyond. Through interactive assessments, students evaluate their current behavioral and professionalism skills as well as develop effective action plans for improvement. Continuing the worktext's learner-friendly writing style, the Third Edition personally connects the material to students' individual life experiences.
- End-of-chapter assessments and activities are now integrated within each chapter so students can immediately apply what they are learning.
- Emphasizing the three educational domains, the Third Edition focuses on the importance of the affective or behavioral domain to future success.
- Personal assessments encourage students to evaluate where they are today with their "Professionalism" as well as help them develop effective action plans for improvement.
- Enhanced career seeking skills focus on behavioral interviewing techniques.
- Cultural competency and diversity as it relates to groups and individuals is thoroughly covered throughout.
- New methods to optimize students' clinical practicum performance, patient interaction skills, and customer service are provided.
- Food For Thought: Offering additional insight, this feature stimulates further thought and critical thinking related to the behavioral skill set being developed.
- Anticipatory Exercise: Each chapter begins with an anticipatory exercise to immediately immerse students into chapter concepts, set the tone, and establish real-world relevancy for learning the skills.
- Test Yourself: Equipping students with the tools to check their own progress, self-test exercises assess learners current level of knowledge and behavioral skills in each topic area. This establishes a baseline to measure growth -- helping students maximize their study time and course success.
- Skill Application: After students assess their current level, the worktext walks them through ways to build upon their progress as well as interweaves various related skill applications to guide them in their improvement. Based on their assessment and interaction, the skill applications cumulate into a personalized action plan for enhancement of the behavioral skill.
1. Study Skills: Laying the Foundation.
2. Characteristics for Personal and Professional Success.
3. Setting Goals and Time Management.
4. Stress Management.
5. Thinking and Reasoning Skills.
Section II: COMMUNICATING WITH OTHERS: ACHIEVING PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENCE.
6. Types of Communication.
7. Communication in Action.
8. Communication Within an Organization.
9. Patient Interaction and Communication.
10. Your First Position as a Health Care Professional.
11. Professionalism in Action.
“I really like the layout and the activities. It is easy to read, easy to follow, and offers realistic applications. I especially like the critical thinking sections and reasoning skills.”
“When I started reading this text, I was immediately excited about the "tire hits the road" examples and real life applications. I see value in the activities. I especially like the time management and study skills unit.”
“Content is very well organized. It progresses in a logical fashion (i.e., Laying the Foundation, Personal and Professional Characteristics for Success, Setting Goals, First Job as Health Professional). Chapters could be taught independently along the way of a course or taught easily in succession.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as coordinated PowerPoint® presentations, video clips, a test bank, an instructor’s manual, and more.