Request for consultation
HEALTH, SAFETY, AND NUTRITION FOR THE YOUNG CHILD, 8th Edition, covers contemporary health, safety, and nutrition needs of infant through school-age children--and guides teachers in implementing effective classroom practices--in one comprehensive volume. Concepts are backed by the latest research findings and linked to the key professional standards of the field. The text emphasizes the importance of respecting and partnering with families to help children establish healthy lifestyles and achieve their learning potential. Early childhood educators, professionals, and families will find the latest research and information on many topics of significant concern, including childhood obesity, children’s mental health, bullying, resilience, chronic and acute health conditions, environmental quality, and children with special medical needs. Also provided are easy-to-access checklists, guidelines, and lesson plans that no early childhood student or professional should be without.
- Lesson Plans are now aligned with the National Health Education Standards for Students (Grades PreK–2, and 3–5)--as referenced in the Classroom Corner features.
- A new chapter-opening feature identifies National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Professional Preparation Standards and links them to chapter content.
- The material in each chapter has been updated to reflect the most current knowledge, research findings, and references available at the time of this revision. Many key topics, such as childhood obesity, children’s mental health, bullying, resilience, chronic and acute health conditions, environmental quality, cultural competence, children with special medical needs, and healthy eating have been expanded.
- Several chapters have undergone significant restructuring in response to changes in the field and reviewer suggestions. Chapters 1 and 2 have been combined to strengthen the message and implementation of health promotion. Chapter 4 has been reorganized to focus more specifically on the chronic medical conditions teachers are most likely to encounter in their classrooms.
- The pedagogy in each chapter has been reorganized and enhanced to improve learning outcomes. Learning objectives and point-by-point summaries now reflect the major concepts presented in each chapter, helping to focus students’ reading and facilitate review. The terms to know, chapter reviews, case studies, and application activities are designed to foster active, student-centered learning.
- New TeachSource Video Cases related to Early Childhood Education are viewable on the book’s website, Early Childhood Education CourseMate.
- Checklists, tables, concise guidelines, and lesson plans can be quickly accessed and used in programs.
- Extensive review activities, reflective questions, and case studies reinforce student learning and comprehension.
- The book has proven to be a valued reference and resource for early childhood educators, families, trainers, child-service program and agency personnel, and pediatric healthcare professionals.
- The text provides comprehensive coverage of the health, safety, and nutrition needs of infants through school-age children in one book.
- Content is organized in a reader-friendly style, divided into three major sections (i.e., health, safety, nutrition), to aid readers in understanding the material and how it can be implemented in early childhood settings.
- The latest researched-based information is translated into practical applications to help readers see how theory can be put into practice.
1. Children’s Well-being: What It Is and How to Achieve It.
2. Daily Health Observations.
3. Assessing Children’s Health
4. Common Chronic Medical Conditions Affecting Children’s Health.
5. The Infectious Process and Effective Control.
6. Communicable and Acute Illness: Identification and Management.
Unit 2: KEEPING CHILDREN SAFE.
7. Creating Quality Environments.
8. Safety Management.
9. Management of Injuries and Acute Illness.
10. Maltreatment of Children: Abuse and Neglect.
11. Planning for Children’s Health and Safety Education.
Unit 3: FOODS AND NUTRIENTS: BASIC CONCEPTS.
12. Nutritional Guidelines.
13. Nutrients that Provide Energy (Carbohydrates, Fats, and Proteins).
14. Nutrients that Promote Growth of Body Tissues (Proteins, Minerals, and Water).
15. Nutrients that Regulate Body Functions (Vitamins, Minerals, Proteins, and Water).
Unit 4: NUTRITION AND YOUNG CHILDREN.
16. Infant Feeding.
17. Feeding the Toddler and Preschool Child.
18. Planning and Serving Nutritious and Economical Meals.
19. Food Safety.
20. Nutrition Education Concepts and Activities.
Appendix A: National Health Education Standards for Students (Grades PreK–2, 3–5).
Appendix B: Monthly Calendar: Health, Safety & Nutrition Observances.
Appendix C: Federal Food Programs.
Appendix D: Children’s Book List.
Appendix E: Nutrient Information: Fast-Food Vendor Websites.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Updated to reflect content changes in the Ninth Edition, the Instructor's Manual includes answers to the book's Case Study Questions and Chapter Review Questions, additional questions for discussion for each chapter, and a film list. A new feature in the manual integrates TeachSource Video Cases. The Test Bank includes multiple-choice, true/false, completion, short-answer, and new essay questions for each chapter.
CourseMate, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's new Early Childhood Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Students can also access a new integrated eBook, Digital Downloads of Teacher Checklists, flashcards, TeachSource Videos and other videos, and more. Also new is Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that allows you to monitor student engagement in the course. The accompanying instructor website, available through login.cengage.com, offers access to password-protected resources such as PowerPoint® lecture slides and the online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank.
CourseMate, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's new Early Childhood Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access an integrated eBook, learning tools including flashcards and practice quizzes, Digital Downloads of Teacher Checklists, additional forms, room diagrams, activity plans, puppet patterns, and sample lesson plans, plus Web activities and exercises, Web links, TeachSource Video Cases and other videos, and more. Access Early Childhood Education CourseMate through CengageBrain.com.