Request for consultation
HANDS-ON-NETWORKING FUNDAMENTALS, Second Edition, helps readers learn network administration from the ground up. Designed to provide a solid foundation in essential concepts and methods, this detailed introduction requires no previous experience, covering all of the critical knowledge and skills information technology professionals need to work with network operating systems in a network administration environment. Like other textbooks in the Hands-On series, this highly practical guide features a variety of projects in every chapter, with activities integrated closely with core material to facilitate understanding, reinforce learning, and build essential skills at every step. Now thoroughly revised to reflect the latest advances in network technology, HANDS-ON-NETWORKING FUNDAMENTALS,Second Edition includes up-to-date coverage of key network operating systems, wireless and cellular networking, network protocols, and other important innovations in the field. Equally useful for students beginning to explore network administration and professionals preparing for certification, this book is a reliable, effective resource for networking success.
- Contains updated information in every chapter reflecting the latest versions of key network operating systems, including Microsoft® Windows® 7, Microsoft Windows Server® 2008/Server 2008 R2, Linux® (using Fedora™ 15 with the GNOME 3 desktop), Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion.
- The author has thoroughly updated the series' signature hands-on activities throughout the text, including operating system examples related to networking, hands-on projects, case studies, and end-of-chapter review questions.
- Reflects ongoing changes and recent advances in the dynamic field of wireless and cellular networking, including 802.11n, 3G and 4G networks, and wireless metropolitan area networks (MANs). There is also new coverage of wireless networking devices and mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablet PCs.
- Expanded coverage of the latest networking protocols, services, and technology including Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) version 6, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version 3, 40 and 100 Gigabit Ethernet, cloud computing and virtual server and virtual storage technologies.
- New material on shared resource access, network security options, and strategies for effective network design and security reflect current technology and industry standards, as well as the author's extensive firsthand experience as an educator and active consultant.
- Provides a thorough, practical overview of networking essentials appropriate for students with no background in network administration to information technology professionals in need of an everyday reference or a resource for certification efforts.
- Hands-on projects in every chapter integrate with core content to help readers grasp key concepts quickly, apply what they learn immediately, and sharpen essential problem-solving skills related to real-world network setup and administration scenarios.
- Detailed illustrations and screen captures throughout the text clarify important topics and help students visualize key processes step-by-step, making it easy to explore key ideas using relevant software.
2. How LAN and WAN Communications Work.
3. Using Network Communication Protocols.
4. Connecting through a Cabled Network.
5. Devices for Connecting Networks.
6. Connecting through a Wireless Network.
7. Sharing Resources on a Network.
8. Using a Server.
9. Understanding WAN Connection Choices.
10. Basic Network Design.
11. Securing Your Network.
12. Maintaining and Troubleshooting Your Network.
Appendix A: A Short History of Networking.
Appendix B: Network Certifications and Network Equipment Vendors.
Appendix C: List of Acronyms.
Appendix D: A Step-by-Step Guide to Using Server Virtualization Software.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
The Instructor Resources commonly includes PowerPoint presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
CourseMate Instant Access
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards Instant Access
Flash cards are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing with Flash Cards Instant Access
Flash cards and quizzes are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards and quizzes work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards and quizzes are already included.