Request for consultation
Cyber-terrorism and corporate espionage are increasingly common and devastating threats, making trained network security professionals more important than ever. This timely text helps readers gain the knowledge and skills to protect networks using the tools and techniques of an ethical hacker. The authors begin by exploring the concept of ethical hacking and its practitioners, explaining their importance in protecting corporate and government data from cyber attacks. The text then provides an in-depth guide to performing security testing against computer networks, covering current tools and penetration testing methodologies. Updated for today’s cyber security environment, the Third Edition of this trusted text features new computer security resources, coverage of emerging vulnerabilities and innovative methods to protect networks, a new discussion of mobile security, and information on current federal and state computer crime laws, including penalties for illegal computer hacking.
- Extensively updated for today’s cyber security landscape, the Third Edition features current computer security tools, a discussion of new vulnerabilities and exploits, and coverage of innovative methods to protect modern networks.
- The text includes updated information on computer crime laws at the state and federal level, including recent changes in penalties for illegal computer hacking.
- A new, bootable Kali Linux™ DVD contains many of the security tools discussed in the text, making hands-on activities easier to perform and allowing readers to devote more time to mastering the use of security tools, rather than learning how to install and configure Linux®. In addition, instructions for creating a bootable USB drive with Kali Linux extend the same advantages to students using eBooks.
- The authors have added discussion of smartphone security, providing valuable insights and guidance on the current mobile security landscape in a time when smartphone usage and mobile networking continue to grow.
- Web application hacking sections are now enhanced with coverage of newer attacks, as well as new web application testing methodology.
- Numerous case studies guide readers through all aspects of network planning, including interconnectivity issues, physical transmission options, voice and data integration, WAN transport methods, and ATM technologies.
- This hands-on, highly practical text provides a step-by-step approach to penetration testing techniques and methodologies, equipping readers to apply what they learn with confidence in a variety of scenarios.
- The authors help readers identify network vulnerabilities and prevent potential threats by deploying the tools and techniques hackers use to bypass network security.
- In addition to detailed practical material on network security, wireless technology, and their effect on Wide Area Networks, the text provides a useful grounding in ethical and legal issues relevant to penetration testing.
- Extensive learning tools--including Review Questions, Hands-On Projects, and Case Projects--help reinforce key concepts and allow readers to gain valuable practice applying what they have learned.
2. TCP/IP Concepts Review.
3. Network and Computer Attacks.
4. Footprinting and Social Engineering.
5. Port Scanning.
7. Programming for Security Professionals.
8. Desktop and Server OS Vulnerabilities.
9. Embedded Operating Systems: The Hidden Threat.
10. Hacking Web Applications.
11. Hacking Wireless Networks.
13. Network Protection Systems.
Appendix A: Legal Resources.
Appendix B: Resources.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You’ll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.