Request for consultation
Guide to TCP/IP: IPv6 and IPv4 introduces students to the concepts, terminology, protocols, and services that the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) suite uses to make the Internet work. This text stimulates hands-on skills development by not only describing TCP/IP capabilities, but also by encouraging students to interact with protocols. It provides the troubleshooting knowledge and tools that network administrators and analysts need to keep their systems running smoothly. Guide to TCP/IP covers topics ranging from traffic analysis and characterization, to error detection, security analysis and more. Both IPv6 and IPv4 are covered in detail.
- MindTap is a personalized teaching experience with relevant assignments that guide students to analyze, apply, and improve thinking, allowing you to measure skills and outcomes with ease.
- Two new chapters on “Troubleshooting TCP/IP” and “TCP/IP Best Practices and Practical Applications” – available in MindTap only!
- Updated coverage on current threats and vulnerabilities and how to defend against them is presented in Chapter 12, “Securing TCP/IP Environments.”
- The IPv6 Essential Cheat Sheet is available on the inside cover of the book as well as on the instructor companion site.
- Hands-On Project and Case Projects take students through real-world scenarios and help them apply knowledge gained from reading each chapter.
- Presents all the basic networking technology and terminology relevant to building and maintaining TCP/IP-based networks in a clear and easy-to-understand format.
- New Hands-On Projects and Case Projects align closely to the Wireshark Certified Network Analyst (WCNA) and CompTIA Network+ exam objectives.
- Demonstrates open source protocol analyzers, including the operation and message sequences for all key data-link, network, and transport layer protocols.
- Illustrates how to use a protocol analyzer and common IP software tools to document and troubleshoot a TCP/IP network, including basic addressing and setup, connectivity and communications, name resolution, and fundamental network services.
- Surveys real-time, IP-based protocols and services including Voice over IP (VoIP) and Instant Messaging (IM) applications, with an overview of the protocols, services, and common message sequences involved.
2. IP Addressing and Related Topics.
3. Basic IP Packet Structures: Headers and Payloads.
4. Data Link and Network Layer Protocols in TCP/IP.
5. Internet Control Message Protocol.
6. Neighbors Discovery in IPv6.
7. IP Address Auto configuration.
8. Name Resolution on IP Networks.
9. TCP/IP Transport Layer Protocols.
10. Transitioning from IPv4 to IPv6: Interoperation.
11. Deploying IPv6.
12. Securing TCP/IP Environments.
13. [available in MindTap only]: Troubleshooting TCP/IP.
14. [available in MindTap only]: TCP/IP Best Practices and Practical Applications.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.