Request for consultation
Provide the theory and technical information professionals need as they work with today’s most popular operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS, and UNIX/Linux platforms, with GUIDE TO OPERATING SYSTEMS, 5E. Readers examine operating system theory, installation, upgrading, configuring operating systems and hardware, file systems, virtualization, security, hardware options, and storage as well as resource sharing, network connectivity, maintenance, and troubleshooting. Easily understood and highly practical, GUIDE TO OPERATING SYSTEMS, 5E is an excellent resource for training across different operating systems. Readers master the fundamental concepts of computer operating systems as the book specifically addresses Windows 10 and earlier Windows client OSs, Windows Server 2012 R2 and earlier Windows server OSs with previews of Windows Server 2016, Fedora Linux, and Mac OS X El Capitan and earlier. In addition, general information introduces many other operating systems.
- EXPANDED INFORMATION INTRODUCES THE LATEST OPERATING SYSTEM FEATURES. Your students learn how to maximize tools within the latest operating systems as well as work with new hardware for most operating systems.
- ALL-NEW INFORMATION DETAILS COMPLETE STEPS FOR INSTALLATION AND UPGRADES. Students learn the skills to efficiently install or upgrade systems to Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 R2, Fedora Linux, or Mac OS X El Capitan.
- NEW "FROM THE TRENCHES" FEATURES HIGHLIGHT ACTUAL COMMON CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS. These helpful features, located throughout this edition, present recent practical examples from real-life situations.
- NEW CHAPTER FOCUSES ON THE LATEST OPERATING SYSTEM VIRTUALIZATION. Your students explore today’s most popular and most recent virtualization products, including VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, and VirtualBox.
- NEW "CRITICAL THINKING" FEATURES ALLOW STUDENTS TO PRACTICE PROBLEM SOLVING AS THEY APPLY SKILLS THEY’VE MASTERED. These new end-of-chapter "Critical Thinking" sections include Challenge Labs in many chapters that give your students the opportunity to use what they have learned and perform tasks without detailed step-by-step instructions.
- BOOK PROVIDES A VALUABLE IN-DEPTH SURVEY OF MODERN OPERATING SYSTEMS TO FAMILIARIZE READERS WITH THE STRENGTHS AND CHALLENGES OF EACH. This proven approach enables the reader to understand how each operating system works and allows the reader to compare each system feature-by-feature or topic-by-topic.
- HELPFUL APPENDIX COVERS OPERATING SYSTEM COMMAND-LINE COMMANDS. Students are able to find this necessary information at a glance.
- EXTENSIVE LEARNING TOOLS OFFER A VARIETY OF PRACTICAL AND PROBLEM-SOLVING OPPORTUNITIES. Review Questions and Hands-On Projects, as well as Critical Thinking exercises with Challenge Labs and Case Projects, allow students to apply what they’ve learned in each chapter and go beyond step-by-step hands-on projects.
2. Popular Operating Systems.
3. The Central Processing Unit (CPU).
4. File Systems.
5. Installing and Upgrading Operating Systems.
6. Configuring Input and Output Devices.
7. Using and Configuring Storage Devices.
8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing Fundamentals.
9. Configuring a Network Connection.
10. File and Printer Sharing.
11. Operating System Management and Maintenance.
Appendix A: Operating System Command-Line Commands.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials, such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.