Request for consultation
Updated with the latest advances from the field, GUIDE TO COMPUTER FORENSICS AND INVESTIGATIONS, Fifth Edition combines all-encompassing topic coverage, authoritative information from seasoned experts, powerful instructor resources, and real-world student applications-delivering the most comprehensive forensics resource available. This proven author team's wide ranging areas of expertise mirror the breadth of coverage provided in the text, which focuses on techniques and practices for gathering and analyzing evidence used to solve crimes involving computers. While other texts offer more of an overview of the field, this hands-on learning text provides clear instruction on the tools and techniques of the trade, introducing readers to every step of the computer forensics investigation-from lab set-up to testifying in court. It also details step-by-step guidance on how to use current forensics software and provides free demo downloads of popular tools like FTK Imager for use with Case Projects and Hands-On Projects-giving readers the opportunity to put their new skills into action.
- Master the skills needed to launch and conduct a successful digital investigation with the updated fifth edition of this popular book, Guide to Computer Forensics and Investigations: Processing Digital Evidence. This resource guides readers through conducting a high-tech investigation, from acquiring digital evidence to reporting its findings. Updated coverage includes new software and technologies as well as up-to-date reference sections, and content includes how to set up a forensics lab, how to acquire and evaluate the necessary tools, and how to conduct an investigation and subsequent digital analysis. This book features free downloads of the latest forensics software so that readers can become familiar with the tools of the trade.
- New to This Edition: Updated coverage on Linux and Macintosh, Updated coverage on virtual machine software, such as VMware and Virtual Box, Updated coverage on Android, mobile devices, and handheld devices, Enhanced end-of-chapter exercises
- GUIDE TO COMPUTER FORENSICS AND INVESTIGATIONS explains how to use the most popular forensics tools.
- Provides specific guidance on dealing with civil and criminal matters relating to the law and technology.
- Includes discussions on how to manage a digital forensics operation in today’s business environment.
- Review Questions, Hands-On Projects, and Case Projects that give readers the opportunity to practice skills they have learned.
- Free software works with running case studies, giving readers the opportunity to test their new skills and tying the content to professional practice.
- Videos of drive acquisitions and related activities for digital forensics are also included on the DVD.
- Expansive artwork brings chapter concepts to life. For example, cutaway views of hard drives present a difficult concept like the anatomy of a disk in a way students can fully understand.
2. The Investigator’s Office and Laboratory.
3. Data Acquisition.
4. Processing Crime and Incident Scenes.
5. Working with Windows and CLI Systems.
6. Current Computer Forensics Tools.
7. Macintosh and Linux Boot Processes and File Systems.
8. Recovering Graphics Files.
9. Computer Forensics Analysis and Validation.
10. Virtual Machine and Cloud Forensics.
11. Live Acquisitions and Network Forensics.
12. Email investigations.
13. Cell Phone and Mobile Device Forensics.
14. Report Writing for High Tech Investigations.
15. Expert Testimony in High Tech Investigations.
16. Ethics for the Investigator and Expert Witness.
Appendix A Digital Forensics Test References.
Appendix B Digital Forensics References.
Appendix C Digital Forensics Lab Considerations.
Appendix D Digital Forensic Alternative Tools and Methods.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Laboratory Manual is a valuable tool designed to enhance your lab experience. Lab activities, objectives, materials lists, step-by-step procedures, illustrations, and review questions are commonly found in a Lab Manual.
LabConnection on DVD
With powerful computer-based exercises, lab simulations and in-depth remediation capabilities, LabConnection® provides a uniquely integrated supplement to hands-on networking courses, and can be used both as a virtual lab and homework assignment tool. LabConnection supports Cengage Learning’s GUIDE TO COMPUTER FORENSICS AND INVESTIGATIONS, 5e offers remediation to the textbook. LabConnection is a system that enables exercises and labs to be embedded within the curriculum and instruction. The system includes one simulated lab session per chapter of the text, each containing five to seven interactive exercises and one to three end-to-end lab procedures. The standalone DVD version allows use of the simulation product without the necessity of online access. LabConnection is also available as online and institutional versions, with full learning management capabilities.
Online Instructor's Resource Guide
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download the workbook answer keys.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions create multiple test versions in an instant deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want Start right away! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop – anywhere with Internet access What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multi-language support, an equation editor and unlimited metadata help ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.
LabConnection on DVD
LABCONNECTION ON DVD GUIDE TO COMPUTER FORENSICS AND INVESTIGATIONS has innovative hands-on-tool provides a simulated learning environment for those studying to be Information Security Technicians. The program consists of interactive exercises and end-to-end procedures.