Request for consultation
GROWING ARTISTS: TEACHING THE ARTS TO YOUNG CHILDREN, 6th Edition, provides early childhood educators with the theoretical framework, current brain research, and background knowledge needed to design creative arts activities for young children from infancy through the primary grades. Beautifully illustrated with children's artwork, it features a wealth of child-tested dramatic arts, music, dance, and visual art activities that nurture children's creativity. The book emphasizes the creation of a safe, sensory-appealing arts program in which works created by diverse peoples and cultures are valued. Focus is also placed on where arts activities are integrated into a developmentally appropriate curriculum. Ideas for adapting arts activities for children with special needs are integrated into each chapter, as are TeachSource Video features and icons that identify helpful forms and artifacts available for downloading in digital format. Chapters cover the creative process; artistic, aesthetic, and sensory development; anti-bias; and community-building arts activities. Emergent curriculum, thematic teaching, the project approach, and art appreciation activities are also included. Examples of teaching in action model how to be an enthusiastic and effective teacher of the arts process. This book provides a rich resource of ideas and approaches that will inspire all those who work with young children to explore the arts process with them.
- A new "Arts for the Whole Child" Chapter webs integrate chapter learning objectives and DAP standards in a visual way.
- In-text callouts highlight ways in which chapter material and learning objectives align with NAEYC and DAP standards.
- Icons identify digital downloads, a new suite of helpful forms and other artifacts that are available for downloading for future classroom use.
- A new "Did you get it?" feature encourages student mastery of course learning objectives.
- A new "Technology in the Classroom" feature highlights ways in which new teachers can leverage emerging technology with their students.
- Integration of TeachSource Videos throughout allows students to see examples from inside the classroom. Videos are available for viewing at Early Childhood Education CourseMate.
- The book includes the most up-to-date research, NAEYC standards, and references.
- Expanded models illustrate how open-ended arts activities can be designed, presented, and assessed.
- The latest brain research informs creative arts for the child as developmental process.
1. The Arts and Young Children.
2. Nurturing Creativity.
3. Artistic Development.
4. Awakening the Senses.
Section II: TEACHING THE ARTS.
5. Coming Together Through the Arts.
6. Creating a Place for the Arts.
7. Introducing the World's Arts.
8. Integrating the Arts into the Curriculum.
Section III: EXPLORING THE ARTS.
9. Creating Visual Art.
10. Making Music.
11. Moving Creatively.
12. Nurturing the Imagination.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The updated Instructor's Manual includes guidelines for use, a plan for the first class, sample syllabi, discussion questions, chapter resources (unit objectives, student preparation, class activities, read-alouds, hands-on art activities, out-of-class assignments, and beyond the college walls features), sources, and supplemental forms. For assessment support, the updated Test Bank includes true/false, multiple-choice, matching, short-answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's new Early Childhood Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Students can access a new integrated eBook, Digital Downloads, flashcards, TeachSource Videos and other videos, and more. Also new is Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that allows you to monitor student engagement in the course. The accompanying instructor website, available through login.cengage.com, offers access to password-protected resources such as PowerPoint® lecture slides and the online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's new Early Childhood Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access a new eBook, Digital Downloads, flashcards, TeachSource Videos and other videos, and more. Access Early Childhood Education CourseMate through CengageBrain.com.