Request for consultation
ESSENTIAL GRAPHIC DESIGN SOLUTIONS features PART 1: FUNDAMENTALS OF GRAPHIC DESIGN, of the bestseller, GRAPHIC DESIGN SOLUTIONS, to provide a focused study of design basics. Covering print and screen media, this book examines conceiving, visualizing and composing solutions to design problems with a comprehensive examination of typography; a broader investigation of creativity and concept generation; visualization and color; an updated timeline; an online chapter about building a Portfolio and the job search; and more. Providing excellent illustrations of historical, modern and contemporary design, this book is a great resource. Now available to accompany this edition, CourseMate with eBook brings concepts to life with projects, videos of designers in the field, and portfolio-building tools.
- ESSENTIAL GRAPHIC DESIGN SOLUTIONS has been condensed into a briefer format featuring just PART 1: THE FUNDAMENTALS OF GRAPHIC DESIGN, from GRAPHIC DESIGN SOLUTIONS, Fifth Edition.
- Many new illustrations and diagrams providing a visual resource of outstanding historical, modern, and contemporary design.
- All chapters have been updated to reflect screen media, including mobile, tablet, desktop, public screens, and screen installations.
- New interviews, showcases, and case studies: The most highly regarded design professionals today provide insights, commentary, advice, and examples in high-interest boxes including graphic artists Laura Alejo, Jennifer Sterling, Tangent Graphics, Heads of State, The Barbarian Group, and many more.
- An up-to-date look at the profession (Chapter 1) and a more in-depth, updated look at the Graphic Design Process (Chapter 4).
- Increased coverage on creativity and concept generation (Chapter 5) to improve conceptual and creative thinking; new content on the basics of designing icons, and designing with color (Chapter 6); as well as more on composition (Chapter 7) to offer a wide range of theories and points of view.
- New CourseMate with interactive eBook brings concepts to life with interactive projects, videos of designers in the field, and portfolio-building tools that support the printed textbook.
- Completely rewritten timeline now includes the major fine arts movements for each decade.
- Exercises and projects appear at the end of the chapter and online.
- Chapter 16 from GRAPHIC DESIGN SOLUTIONS, Fifth Edition, is available online, providing students the tools for putting together a portfolio and tips on how to get a job in design.
- Interactive eBook includes access to the expanded CourseMate student website including chapter-based exercises and projects, topics related to building a portfolio, the interview and career search process, and an innovative video series, Designers Speak, offering video interviews with working designers about how they entered the field of design.
- Art Studio, an easy-to-use online tool that enables you to efficiently critique students' submissions and grade and track assignments online without the hassle of emailing, receiving, and managing large files. It's also a great way for students to interactively comment on the work of their peers.
- Many new illustrative examples show the most effective and creative work in graphic design.
1. Introduction: The Graphic Design Profession.
2. Graphic Design: The Basics.
4. The Graphic Design Process.
5. Creativity & Concept Generation.
6. Visualization and Color.
8. Proportional Systems and The Grid.
16. The Portfolio and Job Search (available online only)
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Packed with tools to enhance your course, CourseMate includes chapter-based exercises and projects, topics related to building a portfolio, the interview and career search process, and an innovative video series, Designers Speak, offering video interviews with working designers about how they entered the field of design. The multimedia eBook links to relevant materials in the CourseMate site.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.