Request for consultation
Graphic Design Solutions is the most comprehensive, how-to reference on graphic design and typography. Covering print and interactive media, this book examines conceiving, visualizing and composing solutions to design problems, such as branding, logos, web design, posters, book covers, advertising, and more. Excellent illustrations of historical, modern and contemporary design are integrated throughout. The Fifth Edition includes expanded and updated coverage of screen media, including mobile, tablet, desktop web, and motion as well as new interviews, showcases, and case studies; new diagrams and illustrations; a broader investigation of creativity and concept generation; visualization and color; and an updated timeline. Accompanying this edition, CourseMate with eBook brings concepts to life with projects, videos of designers in the field, and portfolio-building tools. Additional online-only chapters—Chapters 14 through 16--are available in PDF format on the student and instructor resource sites for this title, accessed via CengageBrain.com; search for this book, then click on the “Free Materials” tab.
- Many new illustrations and diagrams providing a visual resource of outstanding historical, modern, and contemporary design.
- All chapters have been updated to reflect screen media, including mobile, tablet, desktop, public screens, and screen installations.
- New interviews, showcases, and case studies: The most highly regarded design professionals today provide insights, commentary, advice, and examples in high-interest boxes including graphic artists Laura Alejo, Jennifer Sterling, Tangent Graphics, Heads of State, Rick Webb and many more.
- Increased coverage on creativity and concept generation (Chapter 5) to improve conceptual and creative thinking; new content on the basics of designing icons, and designing with color (Chapter 6); as well as more on composition (Chapter 7) to offer a wide range of theories and points of view.
- New CourseMate with interactive eBook brings concepts to life with interactive projects, videos of designers in the field, and portfolio-building tools that support the printed textbook.
- Expanded discussions on cover design (Chapter 10) and new content on mobile, tablet, and web as well as the basics of motion graphics (Chapter 13).
- Completely rewritten timeline now includes the major fine arts movements for each decade.
- Interactive eBook includes access to the expanded CourseMate student website including chapter-based exercises and projects, topics related to building a portfolio, the interview and career search process, and an innovative video series, Designers Speak, offering video interviews with working designers about how they entered the field of design.
- Art Studio, an easy-to-use online tool that enables you to efficiently critique students' submissions and grade and track assignments online without the hassle of emailing, receiving, and managing large files. It's also a great way for students to interactively comment on the work of their peers.
- Exercises and projects appear at the end of the chapter and online.
- Chapter 16 (online) provides students the tools for putting together a portfolio and tips on how to get a job in design.
Part I: FUNDAMENTALS OF GRAPHIC DESIGN.
1. Introduction: The Graphic Design Profession.
2. Graphic Design: The Basics.
4.The Design Process.
5. Creativity and Concept Generation.
6. Visualization and Color.
8. Proportional Systems and The Grid.
Part II: FORMATS AND DISCIPLINES .
10. Book Cover Design.
11. Branding and Visual Identity.
13. Interactive Design and Motion Graphics.
14. Corporate Communication: Brochures, Annual Reports, and More (available online only).
15. Package Design (available online only).
Part III: THE PORTFOLIO AND JOB SEARCH.
16. The Portfolio and Job Search (available online only).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Packed with tools to enhance your course, CourseMate includes chapter-based exercises and projects, topics related to building a portfolio, the interview and career search process, and an innovative video series, Designers Speak, offering video interviews with working designers about how they entered the field of design. The multimedia eBook links to relevant materials in the CourseMate site.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.