Request for consultation
More user friendly than ever, GRAMMAR AND WRITING SKILLS FOR THE HEALTH PROFESSIONAL, 3e, is now organized into independent sections within three modules -- giving instructors complete flexibility to introduce concepts in the order that best suits their needs. The book helps students combine correct grammar with medical language as they prepare professional reports and documentation. Focusing on basic grammar, the first module equips entry-level health care students with the guidelines and practical knowledge they will need in real-world practice. Building on that foundation, the second module contains more advanced grammar for entry-level students, enabling instructors to pick and choose content for whatever course they are teaching in the curriculum. The third module emphasizes the thinking process involved in writing and grammar at the entry level. The third module's step-by-step writing process provides a simple approach to writing a resume and cover letter.
- Sections in the third edition of GRAMMAR & WRITING SKILLS FOR THE HEALTH PROFESSIONAL combine grammar and medical documents so that students can apply the grammar principles they are learning to real-life health care scenarios.
- Offering ultimate flexibility, each section can be used independently. The first module contains basic grammar such as nouns, pronouns, and verbs. The second module moves into more advanced grammatical understandings, such as sentences and paragraphs. The third module helps students put it all together as they develop and sharpen their skills with the book's step-by-step writing process.
- An all-new section gives students practical steps for writing resumes and cover letters.
- A new, full color text design with additional artwork improves the visual appeal of the learning experience.
- The text has been fully updated to include the latest abbreviations as well as current information on HIPAA, the Joint Commission, and the American Health Management Information Association, among other topics.
- Practice exercises, Skills Review, and Comprehensive reviews in each section enable students to check their understanding of chapter concepts as they progress through the text.
- Through hands-on applications, the book helps synthesize the many skills students have learned in writing, typing, and English grammar.
- Summaries at the end of every section review key concepts to help reinforce what students have learned.
- Equipping students for practice in the health care field, GRAMMAR & WRITING SKILLS FOR THE HEALTH PROFESSIONAL, 3e, is packed with real life applications -- including advice about etiquette with emails and phone calls -- that complement any course in a health care program as well as serve students well throughout their careers.
- The user-friendly organization into sections and modules makes the text easier to use and gives students and instructors the flexibility to cover sections together or independently throughout the curriculum.
- The text's emphasis on accurate medical spelling encourages the mastery of medical language.
- The third module includes an entire section on the writing process, emphasizing the importance of quality writing while equipping students with simple steps for writing medical reports, correspondence, emails, office meeting minutes, progress notes, charting, research, brochures, and other professional documentation.
Section 1: Noun. Noun plurals. Function of nouns. Medical Assisting Creed of the AAMA statement of beliefs. Medical office correspondence.
Section 2: Pronouns. Personal pronouns. Reflexive. Relative. Indefinite. Interrogative. Demonstrative. Pronoun-antecedent. Commonly confused pronouns. Office memorandum/memo. Email.
Section 3: Verbs. Action. Being. Main verbs and helping verbs. Linking verbs. Transitive and intransitive. Gerunds. Infinitives. Verb tense. Regular and irregular verbs. Confusing and troublesome verbs. Use of verb tense. Voices of verbs. Moods of verbs. The Medical Record/Electronic Health Record (HER)/Electronic Medical Record (EMR). The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). The Joint Commission (TJC) and the Accreditation of Health Care Facilities. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Section 4: Adjectives. Limiting. Interrogative and proper adjectives. Predicate and compound adjectives. Descriptive adjective. Degrees of adjectives. Troublesome adjectives. Eponyms. Medical reports. Radiology. Pathology. Discharge. Operative.
Section 5: Adverbs. Adverbs as modifiers. Degrees of comparison. Irregular adverbs. Changing adjectives into adverbs. Negative adverbs. Double negatives. Placement of adverbs. Troublesome adverbs. Fax. Phone courtesy. Messages. Minutes of a meeting.
Section 6: The Sentence. Components. Independent and dependent clause. Phrases. Types of sentences. Classification of sentences. Effective sentences. Progress notes, charting.
Section 7: Punctuation. Period. Exclamation mark. Question mark. Comma. Semi-colon. Parenthesis. Dash. Hyphen. Apostrophe. Quotation marks. Medical reports. History and physical. Consultation.
Section 8: Preposition, conjunction and paragraph. Compound prepositions. Prepositional modifiers. Problematic prepositions. Coordinating conjunctions. Correlative conjunctions. Subordinating conjunctions. Paragraphs types. Structure of the paragraph. Paragraph organization. Medical writing. Manuscripts and research. APA style. Promotional writing.
Section 9: Writing process. Prewriting. Writing and rewriting. Proofreading for final draft.
Section 10: The Resume. Essentials of the resume/work-up. Contact information. Related skills. Education/awards/honors. Certification. Memberships/conferences. References. Objective. Keywords. Three types of resumes. Chronological resume. Functional resume. Hybrid/combination resume. Cover letter.
Section 11: Appendix. Spelling rules. Capitalization rules. Number use. Clichés. Titles and salutations. Use of a thesaurus. Use of the English dictionary. Use of the medical dictionary.
"The reorganization of the text is how the course should be presented to the student during the semester. I really liked that a real world application component was added to each chapter."
"I truly appreciate the completeness with which this text provides real-world applications for the medical professional while assisting the fine tuning of grammatical and syntactical sense. This text will provide material for much career-based and communication based discussion for the growth of all."
" The new edition is organized and the content is relevant and easily applicable to the medical field. Students will be able to recognize the benefit of what they are learning and how it directly applies to their chosen field. There is a wide variety of instructional content and the appendices provide an additional element with a varied approach to meet the needs of all learners."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, instructor's manual, and test banks.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.