Request for consultation
Introduce your students to success in global business today with a strategic approach to international business topics and unique coverage not found in other texts. GLOBAL BUSINESS, Third Edition, by renowned international instructor and author Mike Peng, is the first global business book that asks the big question, "What determines the success and failure of firms around the globe?" Peng answers from both an institutional-based view and resource-based view throughout every chapter, bringing an unparalleled continuity to the learning process. The book combines an inviting, conversational style with the latest scholarly research and examples throughout every chapter that reflects the recent global developments. This edition's comprehensive set of cases from Mike Peng and other respected international experts examines how companies throughout the world have expanded globally. All-new video cases, world maps that connect geography and culture to business decisions, and unique global debate sections that draw students into cutting-edge discussions help you teach students to think independently and view business challenges from a truly global perspective. GLOBAL BUSINESS, Third Edition's comprehensive package, including the CengageNOW course management system, helps you teach students to become savvy, effective managers within today's global business landscape. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- New Focus on Emerging Markets: Mike Peng brings a new focus on emerging markets to this edition, encompassing both the emerging economies that major multinationals are finding increasingly attractive and the up-and-coming multinational firms headquartered in those emerging economies. GLOBAL BUSINESS, Third Edition, includes special "Emerging Market" sidebars on such companies as Burger King in Brazil, KFC in China, and Pearl River Pianos' multinational expansion, as well as exploring such topics as the Vietnamese economy, Chinese exporters, and currency exchange in Latin America.
- Updated Examples: Nearly all of the real-world examples found in every chapter's "Opening Cases," "Closing Cases," and "In Focus" features are new. The book covers everything from well-known names like Chiquita, Kodak, and Honda to less-familiar but emerging powerhouses like Zara, Mahindra & Mahindra, ALSTOM, and many more.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Updated PengAtlas: The PengAtlas has been fully updated and expanded to include several new maps, particularly on culture-related topics such as international legal systems and educational levels around the globe. Throughout the book and within the Instructor's Manual, instructors will find new information on how to integrate this useful resource into the course content.
- Extra Focus on Culture: Ethics and ethical issues have always been addressed throughout the book, but now there's an extra focus on culture, too. Culture-based questions have been added to the end-of-chapter review and discussion questions to help students develop international cultural literacy.
- New Cases: Fully updated extended, integrative cases examine the global expansion of today's successful firms. To keep this edition totally current, the majority of the 15 integrative cases are new. These focus on such topics as Coca-Cola in Africa, Microsoft® in China, the Korea-EU free trade agreement, the TNK-BP joint venture in Russia, Jobek do Brasil's foreign exchange challenge, and SinoIron's investment in Australia.
- New Videos: An entirely new set of current BBC videos are now available with this edition, providing up-to-the-minute real-world examples of course concepts. The videos address such topics as mining in Australia, the European Central Bank and the European economic crisis, changes in Latin America's Mercosur, Thailand's economy, U.S.-China trade disputes over tires, Cuban cigars, Dubai's economy, and many more. A complete Video Guide is available to assist instructors in integrating this resource into classroom presentations.
- Unique Strategic Perspective: Peng's unique strategic perspective gives students a better understanding of why firms succeed in highly competitive global environments. This edition continues its unique coverage, asking the big question, "What determines the success and failure of firms around the globe?" The book highlights the managerial implications of global business with integrated coverage from an institution-based view (IBV) and resource-based view (RBV) not offered in other texts.
- Exclusive Coverage: Unique coverage delves into the most important topics within today's global business. The book draws on the latest, most comprehensive range of research to present topics most important to today's global managers. This edition highlights leveraging resources and capabilities; global entrepreneurship; managing global competitive dynamics; diversifying, acquiring, and restructuring across borders; governing the corporation around the globe; and managing corporate social responsibility.
- Extensive Set of Cases: More than 50 cases contributed by professionals around the world challenge students' global perspectives. Woven throughout this edition, a variety of engaging cases bring concepts into practical perspective. An international team of global business scholars as well as a variety of successful practitioners have contributed to this most extensive set of cases, providing varying authoritative perspectives on contemporary issues.
- Critical Thinking: Debates and extensions sections in every chapter engage students in cutting-edge debates and encourage them to think critically. These captivating discussions highlight how global business is a dynamic organism that is constantly changing. The "Savvy Manager" features that follow focus on important lessons for students pursuing interests in strategic management.
- Online Resources: CENGAGENOW course management system offers time-saving online teaching and learning resources. Organized around the essential activities in your course--lecturing, creating assignments, grading, quizzing, and tracking student progress--this robust online course management system gives you more control in less time and delivers better student outcomes--NOW. A Personalized Study diagnostic tool empowers students to master concepts, prepare for exams, and become more involved in class.
- PengAtlas: The PengAtlas sections at the end of each part in the text highlight world geography that corresponds with the text concepts. Four to six maps in each atlas address wide-ranging topics such as emerging economies, imports/exports, CO2 emissions, and the flow of FDI. End-of-chapter review questions correspond with the maps and further emphasize the impact of geography on business decisions.
- Global Action Exercises: These end-of-chapter Internet exercises strengthen students' critical-thinking and research skills while providing up-to-the-minute examples and current events with links using GlobalEDGE--the most current global business information website maintained by Michigan State University.
- Entrepreneurial Firm Chapter: Chapter 9's focus on entrepreneurship provides an excellent balance to the book's heavy emphasis on major multinational firms by exploring global business from a small-business perspective.
1. Globalizing Business.
2. Understanding Formal Institutions: Politics, Laws, and Economics.
3. Emphasizing Informal Institutions: Cultures, Ethics, and Norms.
4. Leveraging Resources and Capabilities.
Part 1 Integrative Cases.
Part 2: ACQUIRING TOOLS.
5. Trading Internationally.
6. Investing Abroad Directly.
7. Dealing with Foreign Exchange.
8. Capitalizing on Global and Regional Integration.
Part 2 Integrative Cases.
Part 3: STRATEGIZING AROUND THE GLOBE.
9. Growing and Internationalizing the Entrepreneurial Firm.
10. Entering Foreign Markets.
11. Managing Global Competitive Dynamics.
12. Making Alliances and Acquisitions Work.
13. Strategizing, Structuring, and Learning around the World.
Part 3 Integrative Cases.
Part 4: BUILDING FUNCTIONAL EXCELLENCE.
14. Competing on Marketing and Supply Chain Management.
15. Managing Human Resources Globally.
16. Financing and Governing the Corporation Globally.
17. Managing Corporate Social Responsibility Globally.
Part 4 Integrative Cases.
"The writing style is engaging, and the text is one of the more readable texts that I've seen."
"The textbook covers almost every aspect of global business that I like to cover in my course."
"I wanted to thank you for writing GLOBAL BUSINESS. It is very informative and entertaining. It is nice to have information presented in a way that is actually exciting and thought provoking, something I have found that many other business texts are lacking. I feel like I am learning to think for myself about important global issues instead of being indoctrinated to think the way mainstream ideologies dictate as 'right' or 'wrong.'"
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource DVD
The Instructor's Resource CD provides all of the instructor's core supplements in one convenient location. The Instructor's Manual provides course lecture guidelines, as well as answers to all of the case questions, review questions, and critical-thinking questions. This edition's IM also includes correlation grids that will help instructors integrate key resources like the PengAtlas maps and the Integrative Cases into their courses. A new DVD Video Guide provides a brief synopsis of each video along with the answers to the video case questions. This edition's Test Bank, available in ExamView® on the IRCD, has been fully updated to match the new content and has been enhanced with more and higher-level Bloom's questions. The PowerPoint® slides have also been fully updated and refreshed.
DVD: Introduction to Global Business
The Global Business DVD contains 17 up-to-the-minute BBC videos that provide real-world examples of course content.
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Bring today's global concepts to life for your students with the dynamic, interactive learning and study tools as well as exam preparation resources on this site. This optional site gives students effective study tools, including PowerPoint® slides, interactive flashcards and quizzes, learning games, and learning objectives for quick review. Four interactive maps help students gain a deeper understanding of global business concepts. To review this site, add Peng's GLOBAL BUSINESS, Third Edition, to your bookshelf at http://www.cengage.com/login.
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Quizzing with Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access