Request for consultation
Cengage Learning's GEOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT in partnership with the National Geographic Society brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools along with market leading text content for introductory geology courses. Adopt the resources that enable your students to purchase the right solution to meet their needs, whether it's a traditional printed text, all digital learning platform, or package that includes the best of both worlds. With the recently updated GEOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT and CourseMate's interactive teaching and learning tools, it's never been easier to help students explore the relationship between humans and the geologic hazards, processes, and resources that surround us.
- Over 200 exciting new visual learning opportunities. The photo and art program has been extensively updated to facilitate student understanding and appreciation of the powerful impacts of geological phenomena. Over 200 new and impactful photos and maps, available exclusively from the National Geographic Society, help students develop an appreciation for the immense power and beauty of geologic phenomena. A newly formatted Photo Gallery section at the end of each chapter helps summarize chapter content.
- Two new features help students appreciate the excitement of scientific inquiry and the possibilities for making a difference in environmental geology. Many chapters feature vignettes describing the research, conservation, and urban planning efforts of National Geographic Explorers who are making significant contributions to important topics in environmental geology. In addition, a section at the beginning of each chapter called CourseMate Connection offers students active learning opportunities such as listening to podcasts or watching videos related to chapter content, encouraging students to get actively engaged in the topic of the chapter.
- Updated Coverage of Global Warming and Climate Change. The new edition continues to emphasize Global Warming and Climate Change. Chapter 2, The Earth System and Climate Change gives students the background needed to think critically about Climate Change and then relate it to other topics introduced throughout the text. Nine Case Studies in the text deal with Global Warming and Climate Change topics. Chapter 11, Glaciation and Long-Term Climate Change provides a thoroughly updated and in-depth analysis of current climate change research.
- Praised by students and instructors for their conceptual emphasis, Pipkin/Trent/Hazlett's end-of-chapter SUMMARIES are organized around the chapter outline to provide a concise review.
- Unique PHOTO GALLERIES located before the end-of-chapter material engage students by reinforcing the applicable concept(s) while illustrating how the beauty of nature is formed through geologic processes.
- GEOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT incorporates multiple aspects of environmental geology such as environmental law, land-use planning, engineering geology, and medical geology, into discussion of each geological phenomenon.
- Case Studies dealing with issues of climate change and global warming are implemented in 9 of the 15 Chapters in the text.
- Chapter 11, Glaciation and Long Term Climate Change has been updated to include the latest data and information. Loss of Glacier ice as an indicator and cause of other Global Warming issues is also discussed more prominently.
- Pedagogical Features Encourage Student Involvement and Critical Thinking about Geology and the Environment.
- Motivating Questions on Chapter Openers: Questions entitled "Have You Ever Wondered?" appear on newly designed chapter openers. Five questions introduce and motivate students to explore the chapter.
- Questions to Ponder: Critical Thinking style questions called Questions to Ponder are included on Chapter Opener Introductions and on selected Case Studies. Questions to Ponder help students develop critical thinking skills and apply scientific method while analyzing topics of social and environmental importance.
- CONSIDER THIS interaction questions in each chapter appear within the narrative, encouraging student to hone their critical-thinking skills.
2. The Earth System and Climate Change.
3. The Solid Earth.
4. Earthquakes and Human Activities.
6.Weathering, Soils, and Erosion.
7. Mass Wasting and Subsidence.
8. Freshwater Resources.
9. Hydrologic Hazards at the Earth's Surface.
10. Coastal Environments and Humans.
11. Glaciation and Long-Term Climate Change.
12. Arid Lands, Winds, and Desertification.
13. Mineral Resources and Society.
14. Energy and the Environment.
15. Waste Management and Geology
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
This comprehensive resource provides chapter summaries and lecture suggestions along with video resource references. The Test Bank provides multiple-choice, true/false, short answer, and essay questions.
Geology and the Environment, 7th: PowerLecture DVD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
PowerLecture instructor resources are a collection of book-specific lecture and class tools on DVD-ROM. The fastest and easiest way to build powerful, customized media-rich lectures, PowerLecture assets include chapter-specific PowerPoint presentations, images, animations and video, instructor manual and test bank, JoinIn questions for use with the student response software of your choice, ExamView testing system, and more. PowerLecture media-teaching tools are an effective way to enhance the educational experience.
Create, deliver, and customize tests and study guides (both print and online) in minutes with this easy-to-use assessment and tutorial system.
CourseMate Instant Access
Adopt the content your students need while providing them a choice in the course materials they want. Cengage Learning's CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need, including an interactive eBook, animations, quizzes, videos, flashcards, and more! Now you have the means to require the content you prefer, while empowering your students to choose from a low cost, robust digital resource, printed text, or bundle. And while students are making the most of today's variety of dynamic, online resources, instructors can track their progress with Engagement Tracker, which makes it easy for instructors to monitor student engagement and identify early on students not achieving the necessary learning outcomes.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.