Request for consultation
Written by leading gender communication scholars Julia T. Wood and Natalie Fixmer-Oraiz, GENDERED LIVES: COMMUNICATION, GENDER, & CULTURE, 12E provides an engaging introduction to the field, equipping students with the tools, knowledge, and insight to think critically about gender and society. Introducing the latest theories, research, and pragmatic information, the text demonstrates the multiple--and often interactive--ways that a person's views of masculinity and femininity are shaped within contemporary culture. It uses a conversational, first-person writing style and offers balanced coverage of different sexes, genders, and sexual orientations. The 12th Edition is packed with new references and coverage of new topics, including work-life balance, transgender issues on campus, bullying in school, gender and health, reproductive violence, and more. It also provides expanded coverage of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people throughout.
- REFLECTING THE LATEST RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENTS, the 12th Edition is completely up to date and incorporates more than 250 new references. It offers thorough coverage of numerous new topics, including sustained attention to men's and women's efforts to achieve work-life balance, transgender issues on campus and beyond, bullying in school settings, relationships between gender and health, workplace equity for low-wage workers, reproductive violence, and more.
- EXPANDED COVERAGE of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people is included throughout the new edition.
- THOROUGHLY REVISED Chapter 11 on "Gendered Media" includes more research, discussion, and examples of mass media, social media, and online environments, providing the most current coverage available.
- NEW COVERAGE of men's and women's movements now includes initiatives led by people of color and LGBTQ peoples.
- "Gender Online" features invites students to visit websites related to chapter content as well as search for relevant videos and information about concepts and ideas discussed in the chapter.
- GENDERED LIVES' balanced presentation of men's and women's communication issues includes such topics as men's movements; initiatives like the Good Man Project; men's friendships; father/child relationships, including single dads; and women's issues concerning family, career, and balance.
- Coverage of the role of technology in communication—including the increasing use of social media—is integrated throughout and includes discussion of the effects of technology on gender communication as well as the connections between gender and media.
- Chapter-opening "Knowledge Challenge" questions focus on commonly misunderstood issues that are covered in the chapter. These questions help students identify their assumptions about gender, communication, and culture before they begin the chapter.
- Student commentaries throughout the text vividly illustrate how students relate to gender communication issues, while "Exploring Gendered Lives" boxes provide research, current events, and myths for students to delve into. These exercises conclude with "Take a Stand" questions that encourage students to think about their response to the issues covered in the feature.
- Questions for thought and discussion conclude each chapter and may be assigned for students to think about or to respond to in journal entries. The questions also may be used as prompts for lively class discussion.
1. The Study of Communication, Gender, and Culture.
2. Theoretical Approaches to Gender Development.
3. The Rhetorical Shaping of Gender: Competing Images of Women.
4. The Rhetorical Shaping of Gender: Competing Images of Men.
5. Gendered Verbal Communication.
6. Gendered Nonverbal Communication.
Part II: GENDERED COMMUNICATION IN PRACTICE.
7. Becoming Gendered.
8. Gendered Education: Communication in Schools.
9. Gendered Close Relationships.
10. Gendered Organizational Communication.
11. Gendered Media.
12. Gendered Power and Violence.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site with PowerPoint®, Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero, Instructor's Resource Manual
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access